Wild speculation about Cancela to Colorado

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gilberto Flores

Holy Bat-Crap Batman :eek:

I trust that SN and PM know what they are doing---I don't trust the Evil Midget but I do trust Coach Nicol's judgement in these matters. We have a strong side right now but it can always be improved and I sense a very real committement on the part of the Rev coaching staff to not stop until we have a team that will DOMINATE MLS. :D

2. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country

They better be damned good ********ing SI's if clearing out Pepe is necessary to obtain them.

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thats interesting, very interesting,,which leads me to believe the dropping of Brilliant and Cassio and the possible trade of Cancela may bring in two SI's. Not sure how much Cassio was making but or Cancela for the matter but if they get rid of all 3 SI's only stands to reason that they will replace them..At least two of them,,,,the team has a great record but if there is a chance to upgrade and not ruin team chemistry then I say do so

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  5. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT

Does that qualify as a legitimate rumor now, Magpie?

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA

Considering Dr. Jay's track record (in passing along tidbits like this) and reliability, yes.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, this is what the article said:
    Rapids coach Fernando Clavijo continues to scour the market and said the club is close to filling its two roster spots.
    OK, he's looking around. After dumping Chung and Henderson I would expect he would want to find someone to fill their shoes, and now that Crawford is injured...

Clavijo was mum on the targets Tuesday, but said he was finalizing negotiations that could bring new players to train with the team ahead of Colorado's July 16 match against the MetroStars.
    OK, so he is hoping to get at least one player in within the next 2 weeks...

"I'm excited," Clavijo said.

The Rapids are pursuing attacking and outside midfielders, Clavijo said.

Considering the positions of the players they lost, I would expect him to find guys who could play there. Nothing at all to suggest Cancela, other than the fact that he does in fact fit the description of an "attacking midfielder."

But I am sure Fernando is just being cautious. He doesn't want to get into trouble like Alexi Lalas did when he said he'd like to have Adu, and Kevin (waaaaaaahh!) Payne got all snippy and filed a complaint with the league. If your job is to sell tickets and create buzz, wouldn't you want to have the biggest drawing card the game has known since Pele? :rolleyes:

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001

Reading that article absolutely convinces me that they are talking about Cancela. Nicol doesn't like Cancela THAT much that he won't bite on a significant offer (which could include a 1st round pick, IMO).

How about this: trade Cancela for the Rapids' 1st pick next winter and then sign that little, attacking midfielder from Panama with the bleached hair!

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Was that Medina?

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WHERE DO I SIGN? :cool: That guy drove the USMNT midfield and defenders nuts. I think he'd do well in MLS.

The way the CRapids season is going their First Round Pick should be rather high--3rd or 4th.

I wonder if Fernando is looking at Cassio as well? :D

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just had a brain-fart :rolleyes:

No way any of this can or should go down till after we get our guys back from the Gold Cup. Our roster is so depleated at this point we can't afford to let anyone go for the next two weeks.

Hope the reports are correct and Flores is in camp and training with the team. There isn't a player in the league that can fill Josephs shoes but I'd rather see a player with experience like Flores filling in for Bully next Saturday than a rookie.

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA

Hypothetically (as not to get everyone confused here), how would people feel about the following trade, assuming it would involve Cancela and Colorado:

Colorado gets: Jose Cancela and cap relief.

Revolution get: Hunter Freeman and a (late-round) draft pick in 2006.

Thoughts?

The Magpie

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do we also get a warm case of Coors Light?

I just don't see the urgent need to run this guy out of town.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FREEMAN does look like a player with an big upside?
    How has he done with the CRapids?

15. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Make it a 2rd round or 3rd round and i think it's good, anything lower then 3rd is really a crapshot. With Nicols trake record of finding developing players i think it would be a good deal.

16. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't quite get the split right, so I had to move this one over separately.

That was Julio "Funky Cold" Medina III:

[​IMG]

He's currently under contract to Aguila in El Salvador, and at 28 years old, he'd count as a Senior International.

The Magpie

17. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA

I do not like it for us at this time. Freeman does have an up side but is not going to be a solid starter for likely another 2 years. He did start for Colorado at the beginning of the year, but then lost his starting job. On top of that Freeman is a left wing back, a position that we currently do not even use. I can not see us changing back into a 442 just to get Freeman some time. I do not want to start a sometimes questionable rookie in a back 3. The only other position would be left midfield, but we are covered there for currently about the same level and it is not his true position.

In summary, I do not see this as adding any real help for us this year and a late-round pick is questionable. So no. Also, Cancela adds a good amount to this team right now and likely for several more years.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001

Yes, and he made THE big play in Panama's 1-0 victory over Colombia last night with a pinpoint cross that was headed in for the only goal!

19. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT

I don't like this trade relative to the people listed above. I would like this trade if, as a result of the cap relief, we get an upgrade at A-mid - i.e. someone like Medina, but that has to happen soon. With the call-ups we are exposed to we need someone who can help now if we give up Pepe. What would our midfield be right now without him?

20. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I watched that game and was not impressed with him or anyone else either.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001

I've seen him several times and he has great speed, can go by defenders with the ball and can make the final pass.

That game wasn't a great match for anyone, but the fact remains, he put the ball right on his teammate's head right in front of the goal - something Cancela does occasionally, but not nearly enough.

22. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    maybe Cancella for Mastroeni to free up Dempsey for purley offensive duties?

or do you think Mastroeni and Joseph provide the same/too similar qualities?

I read that Arena used Dempsey as a withdraw center forward v. Cuba with mixed reports on the performance.

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    So, hypothetically:

GK: Reis
    RB: Heaps
    CB: Parkhurst
    LB: Mastroeni
    DM: Joseph
    DM: Mastroeni
    RM: Ralston
    CM: Dempsey
    LM: Leonard
    FW: Twellman
    FW: Noonan

Um, yeah... that wouldn't s*ck, save for swallowing Pablo's large cap number.

The Magpie

24. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mild FYP...

Its a great lineup. An outstanding lineup. An MLS Cup-winning line up.

Until USMNT call-ups. Then we're boned.

Plus I can't see Colorado trading Maestro straight up for Cancela. They'd want more. I suspect alot more.

25. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA
    well if Flores takes Cancella's spot anyway, no more boned than we are now. Plus if they were gonna give us Pablo for an agedJoe-Max ... and the Rapids board has a trade Pablo now thread ... who's to say?