Wild Sentences I Have Known

Discussion in 'Books' started by bungadiri, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going over this with my juniors in class today and revisted how elaborate this sentence is both in structure and meaning:

"When, in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume, among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."
    ~T. Jefferson

What's interesting is that that if you remove the extra reasoning, the sentence is actually just saying, "When one group wants to separate from another, it should explain why."

2. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    First one is from Dylan Thomas, "Fern Hill."

Fifth one is Wallace Stevens, "Idea of Order at Key West," which is one of my all-time favorite poems.

Fifth one is also Wallace Stevens, "Sunday Morning."

3. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I first encountered this at the age of 11 or 12, and it has been indelibly stamped in my memory all the years since. let me know if you have seen it or heard it. Bonus points to anyone who knows who wrote it, or what it comes from.

"To sit in solemn silence in a dull, dark dock, in a pestilential prison, with a life-long lock. Awaiting the sensation of a short, sharp shock, from a cheap and chippy chopper on a big black block!"

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

The Mikado

5. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct sir. I only recently learned that it came from the poetry that Gilbert and Sullivan crafted into one of their many outstanding songs and plays.

6. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Hunter S Thompson

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

7. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "The moon, like a testicle, hung low in the sky."

That opening line has stayed with me for decades I just can't remember where I read it.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Google says it's Robin Williams. And by posting, I may have bumped Bigsoccer.com up to first from second on the results list for <"The moon, like a testicle, hung low in the sky">

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love when I'm randomly searching for something and a BigSoccer search result pops up when I'm not expecting it.

10. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'll have to accept that it was RW. I wish I could remember where and when I first heard it.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a great opener and here's an interesting article i think will interest you.

the pitfalls of dodgy translations came home to me shockingly a while ago when i wanted to share a passage of lévi-strauss' tristes tropiques (here on BS i believe). pressed for time i found an english translation on gutenberg or somewhere but it was so dreadful... nothing came through, neither substance nor style... a crime.

here's a sentence from that that's pretty good: "the world began without man, and it will end without him".

i was tempted to give a certain sentence from proust as well, but instead will simply inform you that it is 243 words long!

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    “I had this story from one who had no business to tell it to me, or to any other.”

This from the first book I read for myself, back in the Jurassic age. I still keep a copy on my bookshelf. Along with the reputed first fictional novel, "Robinson Crusoe"