Wii's days are numbered

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't think this will end well for Nintendo. The Wii sold so much because it was bought by people who don't usually play games, those people don't buy a new console every couple of years.

If the launch titles are as poor as they were for the 3DS I can't see it selling well at all.

3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance they'll ever get back into the more mainstream console market or did the Game Cube pretty much ruin all chance of that?

4. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    If it launches in 2012, the Wii will have been out for six years not two. :confused:

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yes but the Wii had average sales for the first couple of years then really picked up around 2008-9 then really picked up so a large number of units are 2-4 years old.

6. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Well, people then will pick up a Wii2 two years after it launches then. :D

7. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next Nintendo system will sell just fine. The new system gonna land in a safe pocket before the release of the next xbox/playstation so that uber video game system buyers will grab it, the system will be strong enough so that multiplat AAA title on the 360 & PS3 will get a proper port and Nintendo is like Disney rerelease or remake their classics to snag sales from old gamers nostalgic for for when they were young and young gamers just getting in to the hobby.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I was going to comment on how they're going to miss the holiday shopping season, but then I remembered the earthquake-stricken part of Japan is home to a lot of electronics parts manufacturing plants (iPhone 5 is already delayed 3 months because it uses Sony parts made in Japan).

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article:
    "The new system could help the flagging Japanese company. It announced that net sales dropped 29% during the fiscal year ended March 31, with net income plunging 66%. That was worse than the year before, when net sales fell 22% and net income dropped 18%"

I give Nintendo a lot of crap for being the family-friendly, everything g-rated, system. (Yeah, i'm sure they have some fairly violent stuff, but most of their stuff is as described.) Sidetrack: Nintendo 64's Perfect Dark and GoldenEye games were great.

Yet, there'll ALWAYS be kids, and Nintendo stuff has always been a safe option for families with young kids.

Nintendo took a long time to have a disc-based system. When GameCube was finally released, other systems were playing DVDs and CDs. GameCube couldn't. In this regard, they've always been one step behind.

Apparently, you can play DVDs on the Wii with a hack. Blu-Ray, i'm not sure about, but I wouldn't bet on it.

IMO, the games could still appeal to that family-friendly market if they weren't so dreamy and unrealistic. I have the Wii Sports game, and the players seem to randomly lose their legs... it's just not life-like.

If Wii2 was the same as the original Wii, but could play blu-ray right out of the box, and the graphics were a little more believable (read above paragraph), things could be great.

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC