Wigan v. Liverpool [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by lackadaisical, Feb 8, 2006.

1. lackadaisical

lackadaisical Member

Jul 9, 2004
    memphis
    I don't even know what to say. Here's my starting XI:

------Dudek
    Finnan----Agger--Carragher---Traore
    Riise------Alonso----Hamann---Kewell
    ----------Garcia-----Fowler

Subs:
    Crouch
    Cisse
    Kromkamp
    Sissoko
    Carson

2. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Seriously, we need to pick it up again. Come on. 3 points is a must.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You're right, we really need to get a grip of our collective knickers. At least so we can run.
    Our best game by far this season, was against Wigan at home. I really thought then that this was it. We've finally got the Euro games and the prem sorted out with sparking football. It started our run of wins and goaless against games.
    Well that's come to a crashing end! But perhaps a good showing here can turn it once again.

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Riise on the right? Put him as LB and play Garcia on the right with Cisse up front, he was actually good against Charlton...well compared to the others.

5. American Red

American Red Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Bavaria
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bah, why dont you go get in line to suck on the teet of Roman just like everyboy else. I could be the "special one" with that bank roll.

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We need the three points, full stop. That means we must score goals :rolleyes:

I agree with the central midfield pairing. If Stevie still isn't fit, stick little Luis on the right of midfield, Kromkamp at right-back, Riise at left-back and Cisse and Fowler as strike partners. If he is, play Luis and Cisse up front and have Robbie ready to come on a substitute. I also don't know about Dudek-- last night reminded me of his worst moments, particularly for the second goal but then the defending for it was absolutely rubbish.

Wigan are an effervescent side who like going forward as a unit. Roberts, thankfully, is suspended but Camara will be back from the Africa Cup of Nations.

Our problem, certainly in the last four matches, has been converting all that early dominance into goals. The quality of chance may also not be the greatest but I think that's because our strikers are too predictable. Now is the time for them to be counted.

7. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    I say start Fowler. Our pattern has been early domination with NO finishing. . which then tends to create frustration and losses or draws.

Therefore, put Fowler in, let him get us some goal/s and then sub accordingly.

Crouch hasnt looked too great lately, but i'd still start him and hope he knocks some down for Fowler.

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We probably won't find out about Gerrard's fitness until about an hour before kickoff. This way Wigan won't know if he is playing either. Up front I'd like to see Crouch and Fowler. I wouldn't be suprised if Cisse starts on the right again with Garcia on the bench.

9. lackadaisical

lackadaisical Member

Jul 9, 2004
    memphis
    Riise on the left whatever. The point is that Riise and Kewell should be the outside midfield. Cisse gets frustrated playing out there, and Garcia always drifts into the middle.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Steve is back from injury but Crouch, Garcia and Warnock are out.

11. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well other than Little Luis all of the rest is good news:eek:

12. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No real surprise that Steve isn't going to sit this one out.

13. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What happened with Garcia? I thought he was just coming back from an injury?

14. EuroChamp05

EuroChamp05 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    Well, 1-0 at the half thanks to Sammi. We've dominated posession and a great save from Wigan on Nando is the only thing keeping it from 2-0.

I'm not convinced Gerrard is fully fit. He's pulling up on balls I think he would have gone after otherwise, and his passing is off.

15. wemess0

wemess0 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that as well. He was also limping a bit at the end of the first half. But I guess he's OK as he's back out for the second half.

16. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THe new streak started today. I'm wearing my white 98-99 away kit now for this streak. I'm convinced the bad run was due to my inability to watch or listen to those matches. Liverpool needs me...:D

17. lackadaisical

lackadaisical Member

Jul 9, 2004
    memphis
    Vital win. Really needed to get a 2nd with all that space Wigan were giving us though.

18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    3 points is all that matters, but were far from at our best today. Blame it on the pitch if you want. I suppose thats what Chelsea's pitch will look like by the time Barcelona get there.

Our defense doesn't have the same invincibility that it once did. During the winning run, I never felt like the opponents had a chance to score. Today I held my breath for the entire second half because we looked in danger of throwing away the points.

Well done by Dudek. He saved us a couple of times. Fowler played pretty well. He looked good on the ball and made some nice passes. Good thing we had Gerrard back because all of our attacks went through him.

We are going to have to step up our game against Arsenal on Tuesday. The next couple of weeks will be crucial to our season.

19. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Hyppia looked a little sketchy on defense still. Or was it just me?
    Morientes looked fairly poor. Particularily with that one big mixup that would have put Fowler clean through.
    Cisse the only player booed :rolleyes:

20. EuroChamp05

EuroChamp05 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    Yea, he didn't have one of his best matches. Despite scoring...

The Morientes and Fowler mix up was the most dissappointing part of the whole game for me. Fowler put a nice move on too and would have had an open goal.

21. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Dammit, I totally forgot. Been a busy week for me.

Oh well, three points are three points.

22. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Me too! I'm slow getting going this morning. Beating Wigan in Wigan for 3 points sounds good but it sounded like another scrappy game where we couldn't put it away. We've had far too may of those this season.
    So. who was booing Cisse, we were playing away and he won't make any friends there.

Funny, I worked in Wigan for 'Wigan Wagon Works' and played in goal for their team. I actually scored from a punt in one match. A little mis-timing on the bounce from their keeper helped.

23. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally crap match. Wigan was toothless but we managed to give them some chances. Fowler is rounding into shape -- not there yet but intelligent runs and good link play. morientes still disappoints. MOTM Jerzy Dudek -- three very good saves that got us the three points.

24. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rafa's view:

"Yes, this was an important win for us because recent results have not been good. It's also important in terms of our confidence and I think the players have today got their just desserts because they have worked very hard for it.

"It was a difficult game against a good team who played high tempo football. The pitch did not help and some of our players tired towards the end because of this. Sometimes it was a problem keeping the ball and passing it but it was the same for both sides.

"We were trying to play well and I think we were organised throughout. At the start of the second half Wigan pressed but we controlled most of the match. We showed character, our movement was good but at times our final pass let us down."

"We showed character, our movement was good but at times our final pass let us down." so what else is new!!!!!!