Wicketkeepers

Discussion in 'Battrick' started by John_Harkes_6, Dec 29, 2005.

1. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Does a wicketkeepers fielding skill matter? I think that Wicketkeeping is the only really important skill for a wicketkeeper but I am not sure. My wicketkeeper is strong but the mofo keeps giving up too many byes (some of which are the four run kind that are killers).

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, his fielding skill does not matter.

I would imagine his stamina would factor in though.

IRL, wicketkeeper is a tiring job, stamina is very important in all positions in battrick IMO.

The other good skill to have is batting, but that doesn't affect his w/k performance.

Some of the byes you are conceding will be more due to the quality (or lack of) of your bowlers. A wayward bowler is gonna give away byes no matter the skill of the w/k.

3. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Ahh - thanks. My team is built around batters and my pitch is hard and fast which I felt could have something to do with it.

He has competent stamina so not sure how much that plays into the equation.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With competent stamina for your w/k, it makes me lean more towards the quality of your bowling attack.

If you look at the commentary of your match (ball by ball) you should be able to determine which bowlers are giving away the byes, wides, etc.

5. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think concentration is believed to be important to keeping as well.

6. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Competent concentration - at this point I will caulk it up to my bowlers. I will go through and see who I need to beat this evening.

7. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a WK w/ good fielding and I think I see better defensive play from him as a result. Just a gut feeling though.