Wich city should get a MLS team?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by toot86, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Atlanta.

And before anyone goes there, never mind the Braves. They and the Falcons were so bad for so many years that it'll take years to rebuild any trust with the fans. They haven't done themselves any favors by being baseball's best regular-season team and its worst postseason team. They don't deserve any fans.

But maybe Atlanta's a soccer town- provided the team is in the top league. The proof is in WUSA, where the Beat were among the top-drawing teams. If a women's team in ATL can get better crowds than many of their WUSA counterparts, just imagine what a crowd would show up for Silverbacks matches if only they were MLS rather than A-league.

2. Laggard

Laggard New Member

May 23, 2001
    Beeswax Noneofyour
    Minneapolis/St. Paul

Great soccer state. We have the largest soccer complex in the US with the National Sports center. That's 55 fields. Plus we give good support to the Thunder.

So yeah.

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    (bis)

4. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too knowledgable about the Atlanta situation but they seem like the best bet. I wish Houston would get one because its closer but with the Silverbacks already having a SSS of their own and Houston having to build, Atlanta seems more likely. I don't see why they couldn't be in MLS. They seem to have it all. IS it a financial problem with ownership not wanting to pay fees and more player salary for better talent? If not MLS, couldn't they directly link themselves as a reserve side for an MLS team? Do like MLB and have minor league teams in other states not just just locally. Would that help gain a nationwide following but interweaving teams and affilates throughout the country?

5. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Professional New Orleans teams dont usually do well at all. I say houston.

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Je dis la Nouvelle Orléans !!

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Philadelphia. Maybe we can finally get a team that actually wins stuff instead of almost winning stuff. Flyers and the stanley cup back when I was 8, sixers a few years ago, and the eagles for the past 3 years. What's weird is I don't watch any of those sports and I'm still annoyed that they haven't won anything.

9. PGHscouser

PGHscouser New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Nor' Borahs, PGH PA
    Someone mentioned DC should get a team...

...I am all for it only if this other capital team takes the name 'AC DC'.

If not, a no go for me.

take care...

DPW

10. gvmsmiddie

gvmsmiddie New Member

May 25, 2004
    I can't believe you have ALbuquerque and San Antonio up there and not Philly.

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    New England needs a good team... but the Patriots and the Red Sox being good atm does not help...

12. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So, the bottom line is you need several professional soccer divisions, thus every major city could afford its own team, its own fans and wait for better tomorrows. Drawback : splitting of a shallow fanbase...

No, really the MLS should be more agressive against the strike struck NHL :D
    Bury them for god sake !!

13. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto, Canada
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Seattle, Washington
    San Francisco, California

14. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not likely that you're going to take many fans from the NHL. The NHL's problem is that its fan base is very dedicated and that it has little or no support outside the fanatical adherents. In the U.S. context a few people love hockey to a fault, and most other people couldn't give a damn.

15. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's attendance like for the Silverbacks in Atlanta? The last numbers I can find are from 2002 and it's not pretty.

The league needs to stay away from putting teams in cities that already have teams. I cannot understand why they're discussing (even preliminarily) expanding into NYC when the team they have there is floundering like a beached whale.

I think it'd be nice if Philadelphia got a team but there's no real push, is there?
    I haven't heard anything about it in a year or so.

I'm in favor of bringing in the Rhinos for the same reason I'm in favor of Philly, Northeast regional rivalry. The Rhinos have the fanatical fanbase MLS is looking for. If Rochester had a sizable Latino population they'd have a team by now.