Wich city should get a MLS team?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by toot86, Aug 1, 2002.

1. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. No love for the Triad of NC. With Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill all within 90 minutes (and all good soccer support at the HS and college level), I would think the Triad would be a great place for a team.

2. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

And most importantly it's an easy drive for me

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And me as well. 2 hours to Greensboro is nothing for me.

4. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a poll is a good idea, it's just that the wrong cities are mentioned. I think you could come up with a much more likely and reasonable list. How about:

Philly
    N. Carolina
    St. Louis
    Seattle
    San Diego
    Atlanta

5. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    atlanta should get a team

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course this is the same Commisioner's office (different commisioner) that promised Seattle a team when Seahawks Stadium was completed. I think in Seattle we have b, if we can get a, then c should be set aside for the first few years assuming that Paul Allen is a, or that Paul Allen is willing to ive a good lease deal to whomever is a (John McCaw maybe?).

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Seattle
    Portland
    Philadelphia
    St. Louis
    Atlanta
    San Diego

8. calcioguy9

calcioguy9 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Wisconsin, USA
    What about Madison(WI), or Milwaukee? theres a pretty soccer following in the Madison area, and excellent soccer around Milwaukee. Only fear would be being to close to Chicago.

9. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    For this reason, I would say the Triad gets a team before Atlanta. Atlanta is a horrible sports town (anyone who is familiar with the Hawks or Braves would agree) while the aforementioned North Carolina cities have a history of supporting soccer.

10. butchiesboy

butchiesboy Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Kearny, N.J.

11. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    For economic reasons purely I think it's hard for any sports franchise in phoenix to fail. What have the cardinals done since they arrived there? Nothing, yet they still draw.

But for making american games feel more like european derbies and giving the US a true homefield advantage, how can you leave Filthydelphia out of the mix. Those should be the next 2 franchises. Canadian teams won't work because the exchange rate and canada's rediculous tax structure. Ask the Grizzlies why they really moved. San Diego couldn't draw a crowd for the allstar game and numerous international matches(exluding mex) so forgetaboutem. Seatle and Minnesota look good, but how many did they draw for the NASL? I heard detroit did well. Houston has very indifferent fans, much like Miami. You'll have hard core die hards, but then you have everyone else. Same goes for Atlanta. They showed well for the olympics, but I don't see this as a feasible city for atleast 15-20yrs.

12. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    yep the braves getting 33,686 sunday against the cardinals is real bad

13. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Actually, I think you have your numbers mixed up. San Diego drew about 25k for the MLS all star game with very little advertisement in town. Also for some US friendlies not including Mexico, the crowds have usually been 15~30k depending on the opponent.

Also, why exclude Mexico soccer matches held in San Diego from the total soccer loving population in San Diego/Tijuana. Most Mexico matches in San Diego draw over 40k and some especially the ones against the USA have drawn over 50k. That is better than almost any other soccer venue in the USA other than the Rose Bowl.

14. Ronaldo13

Ronaldo13 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    NY
    San Diego, Atlanta, and New York(I know we have the metros but we share with NJ...so they're not a NY team...they're shared)

15. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    it is when turner field holds close to 50k, when the braves are scorching earth in 1st place & you team is battling a traditional rival. Texas v NY avg 44k, 3 consecutiive sellouts & the rangers blow.

Nothing personal, I just doubt any minor sport will survive there or in San Diego.

Mexicans don't sell out their own teams in mexico, what makes you think that once the novelty has passed they'll stop going. or what makes you think Tiajuana transplants will have any loyalty to American Soccer. I honestly believe the crowds there will make Miami look like freakin' OSU v Michigan.

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Plus, Braves has had trouble selling out playoff games, iirc. I can only imagine how bad attendance will be if they stop winning.
    --------
    But back on topic:
    Another reason why the Triad area in NC may do well is the local press coverage. Newspapers in the Triad and the Triangle have been covering soccer for years thanks to universities and high schools there, and there is less of the editorial stigma attached to soccer that you may see in other cities.
    Plus, the newspapers have been supportive of all professional teams, be it the Courage, Hurricanes or even the Skyhawks of the old WLAF (now NFL Europe).

Here's my vote for Winston-Salem.

17. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how it like to see it break down someday ... more dream here than actual thought. This is merely where I'd like to see a 20-team league play:

DC United
    Columbus
    Chicago
    New England
    MetroStars (NJ)
    Dallas
    Los Angeles
    Colorado
    San Diego (moved from San Jose)
    St. Louis (moved from Kansas City)
    Milwaukee (up from A-L)
    Portland (up from A-L)
    Seattle (up from A-L)
    Philadelphia (expansion)
    NY Cosmos (expansion)
    Carolina (expansion)
    Atlanta (expansion)
    Houston (expansion)
    Detroit (expansion)
    Fort Lauderdale Fusion (expansion - rebirth)

You could break this into 4 5-team divisions with 2 conferences to play a 36-match schedule, but since it's all a dream anyway, I'd go with the double round-robin, 38-game schedule.

Of course, in this world, everyone would have their own stadium, cool uniforms and no salary cap.

*** waking up ***

Cheers,
    ed

18. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    Minnesota

The Minnesota Kicks were the only team to make a profit in the league. Then, they inexplicably moved the team. Maybe someone from there can explain why they moved.

19. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    I dont thinjk it will work

I dont think a city without Hispanic people in it will like a MLS team.. It has to have some latino People it for the team to survive...

20. kidgrifter

kidgrifter New Member

I would say Portland.

21. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: I dont thinjk it will work

And I'm sure Columbus will not like a MLS team. :rolleyes:

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you didn't hear that when Garber announced that a Cleveland group was in the mix, that the name was going to be the Steamer.

Tom

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    one day we'll look back on these discussions and laugh, thinking one time back in the day we had to hope our city had a team, and whether expansion would happen. One day soccer will be huge in the US, hopefully one day is soon. :(

24. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow....do you hate Rochester or something?

25. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    The Bay Area needs to have a team. It's the 6th or 7th major media market in the land. San Diego Tiajuanans will never pay to watch an MLS team when they can turn on the boob tube & watch MFL teams for free.

Just because I move to Brooklyn, doesn't mean I'm going to follow the Knickerbockers.