Wich city should get a MLS team?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by toot86, Aug 1, 2002.

1. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    That reminds me of the reply of Shirley Povitch, late sports editor of the Washington Post, to the accusation that Washington wouldn't support major league baseball. "How do they know? It's never been tried."

We do better supporting DC United, a respectable A-League level team.

2. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU has the highest average attendance for an A-League team.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I still say we start a relegation system with MLS and the A-League. Just get rid of those Canadian teams.

4. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United would be in NCAA Division II by now if there was pro/rel in the USA.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dallas wouldn't, hehe playoffs every year baby.

6. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbiased opinion!!!

Portland! Portland! Portland! Portland! And did I say Portand!

7. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    We aren't too shabby for the MLS team with the worst record. Compared to San Jose we're the crown jewel in attendance. Overall, though, I'll bet if someone divided total attendance by total victories over the history of MLS, New England would do best. I don't know if the team deserves that much up there, but the fans certainly do.

8. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    im not sayin we need another team, i just cant believe youd list st louis as a better sports city than boston. look at the espn sportsnation survey fi you want proof.

9. MDFootball

MDFootball New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DC
    No way we'd have run through the A-League second time around (last year), since the first year Etch woulda bitched and retired after being relegated, Moreno wouldve gone, and Pope wouldve soldiered on for a couple years before we got back up....but we would be headed back again this year, probably for a long extended stay....

10. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    San Diego.... Great soccer tradition. Big hispanic population. Perfect for soccer

11. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Chicago.

And forget aboot Canada. FIFA forbides it.

12. lurch

lurch New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    St. Louis would be great, with its soccer heritage, but my understanding is that are no possible owners on the horizon, not to mention the lack of a suitable stadium.

Seattle would work.
    Philly would be nice, as well.

13. SoccerSD

SoccerSD Member

Mar 2, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    ...and a more natural rival to LA than San Jose, I think.

14. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Saint Louis-MLS

MLS would not be supported in Saint Louis. We couldn't even keep the indoor team in business. They couldn't find any investors. What makes you think someone would invest in a MLS team? Also, no place to play.

15. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Well it would be nice if San Jose picked up the slack and turned out better attendance numbers. I would love to see a team in SD, LA, SJ, and Seattle.

16. firstandsecond

firstandsecond New Member

Jul 23, 2001
    philadelphia/london
    a team in philly is needed long before
    adding a second NY team
    professional sports in the south.. n carolina. florida ect.. are always a huge gamble so many have failed. and fans are fickle.. look at charlotte hornets..

seattle

and a team to further tie together the kansas city
    denver dallas region would be a good idea..

philadelphia
    st louis
    seattle /portland

*2nd* club in NY

17. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Hey guy, try mixin in a colonic..........I never suggested Ft Wayne or any small Mid Western town should have a team, you did Jackass! Moline....youth soccer hotbed.....bring a team to Moline....any of this seem familiar? As for us producing a World Cup caliber player, that neither qualifies us for a francise or doesn't, but it does mean that my hick town can whoop your hick town any day on the soccer field....put em up buddy! Fights on!

18. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    Top City..

Before the poll i thought Houston should get a MLS team.. I guess the rest of the BS community agrees too.. Its a big city with a team for every sport.. Rockets,Comets,Astros,Aeros,Texans ..

Houston also has alot of Hispanic people and alot of Black/Carribien people that love soccer...

Houston has appropriate stadiums and fans!

Good weather hot/sunny
    Houston is big

It will be a good rivalrie with the Dallas Burn !!

bUT What will the team be called?? The Houston Flying Stars..

The Houston Space Hawks?

The hardest part of getting a MLS team to to houston is deciding a name for the team...

19. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    Re: Top City..

Lone Star F.C.

20. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Re: Re: Wich city should get a MLS team?

It's FieldTurf not Astroturf. FieldTurf is better than many of the natural grass fields currently in MLS and many the national team has to play on in the Caribbean and Central America. FieldTurf is NOT an issue for MLS. The only reason I say this is that so many have no friggin' clue and write stuff like this. Please educate yourself. http://www.fieldturf.com

Probably partially true.

Actually it is.

I'm happy you were impressed.

I think their stadium limits the crowds they can attract, but yes, ideally you'd want an expansion team to draw closer to 15,000 at least.

21. vneo90

vneo90 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    san diego
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego definitely! We had the all-star game back in 98? What happened to us as a canidate?

22. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Ah yes, "The game no one saw." That was the day JFK Jr. died IIRC and the game was pre-empted.

23. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Nashville, just to see what those hillbillys think of saahker. They play both kinds of music there you know :).

How about somewhere like Minnesota, or Seattle, or San Somewhere ?. I need to look at a map of the USA to think of some places.

24. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    How about Richmond. Decent size market, decent crowds at Kickers game, a big soccer community in the suburbs.

25. Ubiquitous One

Ubiquitous One New Member

Aug 4, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seems to be an unstated assumption in the poll choices that MLS should definitely have an expansion franchise out West, so I'll go along with your slant.

If we are moving out West and solidifying the national imprint, give it to Seattle -- but not in the new stadium -- or Portland. According to the Commish, whatever city has a) a group of investors b) a solid soccer fanbase and c) a soccer specific stadium, will get the expansion teams.

For a second team, and again if we are trying to solidify the national imprint of MLS, I can see no other logical choice than Atlanta. Like many of the posters on this thread, however, I do have a personal stake in having an MLS team close to my place of residence.