Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by The Wanderer, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Stereotypes are an Americans bread and butter. . . kinda like your fish and chips. Get it? Get it!?

Anyway,

I don't think that the 'English' style of play is good for developing young players simply because it is too basic. Kick and rush is not a cliche, its an exaggeration of sorts. Sort if like calling the Italian style of play "catenaccio", kinda but not quite. Its a fast paced, running game. Totally different than what most central european and south american sides play. I'll never forget what some brasilian player said, although I forget his name, wait, actually I have forgetten what he said. But, it was to the affect of "we love the ball".

That being said the dutch style of play is elaborate and has produced tons of great players but not a great national side. . .

For me, it all comes down to the fact that England brought in a foreign coach, a Serie A coach nonetheless, to try and impose a more "continental" approach to their game. And to some extent it worked. That tells you that there is a flaw in the English way of play. But, there is a flaw in every style isn't there.

In terms of french players, its good for their games because its the extreme opposite of what they've been brought up with. Examples being Henry, Pires, Robert, Viera. . . etc. But, for Italians its detrimental. Not least because they get overlooked for not playing in Italy. Friends used to ask me, an Italian fan, why Di Canio and Zola don't play for the national side. The only reasonable answer I could come up with was Vieri, Totti, Di Vaio, Montella, Del Piero, Chiesa, Inzaghi. . .

I think Maccarone will do what numerous other Italian youngsters have, play in England because they'll get more playing time then come running back to Italy once they get the chance to go to a Parma, or Milan, or Lazio.

How did I get on this tangent?

American players should just get into Europe, thats the main thing. College soccer will be the ruin of all of them and MLS ain't much better. Period.

2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

That's ridiculous. Nationality has nothing to do with it - especially now where youngsters of any nationality are developing anywhere the market takes them. Quite apart from that, what do we judge (for instance) Owen Hargreaves' inate talent by? His stellar performances as a replacement for Steffen Effenberg during Bayern's Champions' League final win, or his cameo roles for England? Is the coaching at Manchester United bad because Ryan Giggs will never play in a major international tournament? Or to twist it, is Ryan Giggs not world class because he's Welsh? Does the Azzurri exile of Italian players outside of Serie A mean those players are bad, or is it just a quirk of the Italian mentality?

Come on. Think it through first, eh?

International football is an inadequate benchmark because it is not the highest standard at which football is played. To truly gauge a player's quality, you look to see their performances at the highest level possible.

Which is club football.

That hilarious Adidas monkey? Yeah ... he's a real guru. :rolleyes:

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well yes, that last bit is inarguable. But the remainder of the observation is rather skewed by the reality of his impact. SGE is by some margin the most "English" coach we have had in a while. Certainly Hoddle and Venables, and, in the latter stages of his reign, Robson, were far more predisposed toward what, under the ridiculous constricts of this "style of play" cliche, would count as a "non-English" approach. SGE plays a very rigid 4-4-2 and adheres faithfully to every dictat of the modern coaching manual - strong back line, lie deep, most-goals-scored-from-five-passes-or-less, quick, athletic strikers, ball winner/ball player central midfield combo, etc, etc.

Which brings us on to another reason why the notion that one world class league is a better (or worse) development environment than another is such pap. These days, coaching innovation is a global business (in fact, see Wanderer's Adidas monkey for an example) and the thought and innovation occurs amongst a globalised, international group of elite managers. The manner in which football is coached (as opposed to managed!) is getting more and more universal. Indeed, one of the explicit aims of the revolution in our coaching infrastructure and mentality was to make the English set-up mirror that in the leading leagues of Europe as closely as possible. So again, the idea that England is a better or worse environment than, say, Italy or Spain is a nonsense. It just doesn't stand up.

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

Interesting questions....
    You ask "Is the coaching at Man utd bad because Giggs will never play in a major international tournament??"

I would say "no" the coaching is not a bad standard at man utd .They have a long track record of producing good players .
    but if you ask The wanderer then you will get an answer a long the lines of ........" gee ,man utd teach their players to run around like headless chickens and how to play kick and rush ,blah ,blah ,blah..."

That is the level of intelligence we are dealing with here .Just take a look at this thread from the very beginning and you'll see what im saying.
    This is a man who branded man utd a "kick and rush" outfit on the yanks abroad forum.
    Even cactus[14dt] is sharp compared to this mug.LOL

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Did he? LOL!! :D

It does fascinate me, the way in which blatantly groundless perceptions like that manage to hang around for so long amongst people on this board. It’s like it’s a hobby or something. Anything beats taking the time to get an update, it would seem.

6. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    S_R_M keepin the streak alive...

7. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

how can anyone really catorogise(sp?) english football as kick and run. Prehaps in the days of vinnie jones etc... but now all you have to do is look at some of arsenals play last year. And most of the top 10 last year. Kick and run is not the style. pass and move with alot of pace is the only way to compete at the moment in the premiership.All the top teams have pace. This is why boro struggled last year as we had absolutly no pace. But now we have bought in quick players who have flare. No more just clearing our lines. We will play football as have the top 11 last year. The reasons why teams of the past had to play long ball was because of a lack of pace in midfield. But all has changed....

Boro for europe!

8. bigfoot984

bigfoot984 New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Fort Wayne, IN
    why did i keep reading the same stuff over and over as i went through this thread? i mean, seriously, everyone just kept repeating their arguments over and over, not taking into account what the other one said just babbling on and on about how the other one was so wrong and they are so right. and yet each was insulting the others intellingence......interesting. it was like seeing two kids trying to outshout each other.......sad, sad, sad. the "Yanks" are stupid for downplaying the EPL (which is considered by many to be the best league in the world) and the "Brits" are stupid for downplaying the talent level of young Americans (which is undeniably on the rise....rising at one of the fastest rates in the world). i mean, come one, the revolutionary war has been done for over 200 years now, hahaha.

9. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

ok.....

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    I couldn't disagree more. I'm talking about a nation, and one player playing in the Bundesliga hardly changes the overall generalization. Why don't you think it through? Is Man Utd 100% English? No it isn't. Is the English national team (with the exception of the Canadian born Hargreavesl)? OK, 96% English, developed in the EPL. Yes it is. So which observation holds more water for you? One where the subjects are judged when they are playing with players developed in other nations(van Nistelroij etc.) or one
    where the players are developed in the same nation(i.e., the national team) and play together on the same team? OK, we'll agree to disagree.

11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Re: Re: Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

Sarcasm lost on the English on the Yanks abroad forum. That's a funny one. Of course we're dealing with a person whose level of intelligence can't make simple connections from data so I'd say you're pretty low in the pecking order in England yourself. I mean, really, Van Gaal won the European Club Championship with Ajax, of course that automatically means that he's a great national team coach, right? Of course I had to remind your dumb arse about your own lad Keegan who is a pretty good club level coach who couldn't cut it at the international level.

Yeah, and then the comments about the Adidas monkey. Who cares what he looks like, he's endorsed by AC Milan, the French football federation(which has a more recent WC than England), Brazilian WC '94 coach Perreira, the EPL's own French coached[i/] Liverpool and Arsenal, even ManUre has used Coerver's training philosophy along with countless others. So yeah your comments about that pretty much revealed your own IQ level.

12. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

unless you havent noticed this is a forum. we read. Its pretty hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic as u cant hear thier voice.

Also sarcasm is the lowest form of wit....(i read that somewhere i think)

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Re: Re: Re: Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

Keegan a pretty good club level coach? You're a laugh a minute. I'll just love it when you respond to this...

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Re: Re: Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

Well yes, we will probably have to agree to disagree, but only because we are coming at this from different angles - who gives a toss about nations or international football when judging the ability of a player to compete at the highest possible level?

I'm looking at the highest standard of play which English-developed players are comfortable with and saying that should be the judge of whether the development of English talent is being handled well. You're asking to see their passports.

So - for one, the highest level of football at which English players are acquitting themselves well is the Champions' League, which is several notches above any form of international football in terms of standards.

Two, that then clearly indicates that the English youth set-up and coaching approach is good enough for Champions League footballers and thus, bloody good by any rational, objective measure. The fact that the performances of a team of players who spend, at best, four weeks a year together, do not match those of their club sides is an utter irrelevance. Club football is the ultimate standard.

So, to tie it all back in with the original premise, you can opine that a system that produces players for some of the top teams in the Champions League is not good enough for the youngsters of the US, but that there is then where we do indeed have to part company and agree to disagree.

Because it's nonsense.

As to Coerver, I suggest you read up about him mate. (clue: the "monkey" reference had nothing to do with his physical appearance).

15. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

You still here??
    I suggest you re-read the thread and try to digest the information thats been posted.
    You still haven't got a clue.
    I wont be suprised if you post a thread titled "Why yanks shouldn't got to the premiership part 3" in about 2 months time.
    Even the other yanks on the thread are laughing at you.
    Throw in the towel before it gets beyond a joke.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I guess my question is - how much does CL success have to do with the overall quality of English players? Aren't many of the more pivotal positions going to foriegners? Not trolling, just asking the question.

Some other random questions: Leaving aside Spain, why do you think England hasn't had the same WC success as Italy and Germany? Is England still capable of being number 1 in the World? The context of this thread aside, aren't Gareth Southgate's comments at least a concern with English fans as a possibility for why England has not gone further in the Cup more often?

17. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

I think the bigger point is not whether CL success is due to decent quality English players, it's more to do with the fact that the English system as a whole is doing well. And an American involved in the system will be affected by that success.
    I don't think it's as easy as all that just to link domestic and international success. Look at English club domination of Europe in the late 70's and early 80's, just when our national team was attrocious. Our clubs are doing well, that means by rights, our club systems are doing well. Club success doesn't necessarily relate to international success, but that certainly doesn't mean that at club level (which is where the US imports would recieve their 'training' - not English national level), English football is lacking.
    I guess it's all a question of where one places ones importance. The importance of playing well at club level is massively over-shadowed by success at national level by many in America (for obvious reasons)
    And in answer to the second part: I don't think the number of foriegn players in pivotal positions is significantly different from those in any other top leagues.
    And what would you call a 'pivotal' postion? I'd have thought all 11 had their job to do. Is Tony Adams' position less pivotal than Veron's?

As has been said before, I wouldn't necessarily take Southgate's comments as bona fide.
    We have a strange ability in this country to see the most bloody awful side to everything eventually. Sod the fact we actually got to the finals in the first place; sod the fact we got out of our group (which we'd already convinced ourselves we wouldn't); sod the fact we beat Argentina (2nd favourites) and the 3-0 win against Denmark was obviously not worth bothering with. We'd just lost to a side who proved in almost every game they were head and shoulders above the competition. Only an Englishman could target the one bad thing that happened to England and forget the rest.
    What he said may have a glimmer of truth about it with regard to the level of fitness in different conditions. But there is no need to start thinking that English football has to have a wholesale change in style. On more than a few occasions is it our different style that has won us matches.

Yes, Italy and Germany have had more success than England over recent years. Infact when you ask 'are England still capable of being number 1?', I start feeling it must be said that England haven't been 'number1' since that period of mid-60's to early 70's plus even earlier in the century. English fans may consider us to be up there with the best, but the more realistic of us look at the all-time lists and see England in 5th at the WC. Most of us are relatively happy with this. A lot of this assumption that England should be right at the top is simply a heady combination of hype and (more importantly) massive amounts of hope from England supporters once 'every' 4 years.

I know this will sound like typical excuse making but if we look at '86 WC - the old hand job; '90 WC - s/f out on penalties;'96 EC - s/f - out on penalties; '98 WC - out on penalties. Yes I know our record is patchy, but had lady luck helped us with the above results, people obviously wouldn't be so disparaging. It was only a whisker away from happening, unfortunately not close enough. The line between success and 'failure' is agonisingly fine.
    This isn't trying to excuse the results, more trying to say that to go off the success enjoyed (or lack of it) at national level isn't all that cut and dried at times.
    In summary, I personally am not too worried about our youth systems. Our club sides do well in Europe (mostly), our national team is very young and shows promise. I can't really think that those sort surroundings would harm any US player, nor do I think that any US player in either Germany or Italy would be significantly better prepared for international competition.

18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

Why dont you read the stats from the champions league performances of English teams. Why dont you check how many crucial goals were scored by the likes of owen ,heskey ,scholes,etc..How many assists were provided by the likes of beckham??
    We've got the same amount of foreigners as any other top league .foreigners play a part in every league .

Yeah ,just conveniently leave spain aside.
    Dont ask why the top league in Europe hasn't won a world cup ever .
    If we haven't won the world cup for a while we get accused of having a flawed coaching system by some docile yanks .But if spain aint won the world cup they get left aside and out of the debate .Thats f'ckng convenient.

Even italy haven't won the cup for 20 years.
    They have only won the cup once in 64 years .2 of their success' coming in 1934 and 1938 when most top teams didn;t even enter.
    once in 64 years doesn't sound too clever does it? ooohhh they must have a flawed coaching system.

As we painfully keep trying to say......
    we have implemented a long term plan that should bear fruit in the future .
    We have a plan and only time will tell if it works out.

I think this argument has run its course.
    There is only so many times we can attempt to explain ourselves to you yank meatheads.
    None of you have the slightest clue what you're talking about .Adios fools.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Thanks Macz - I appreciate the level-headed answers to my questions. I certainly don't think it would do any harm to Yanks to play in England - unless of course they are riding pine.

I guess it all begs the question, how would England go about changing it's style even if it wanted to? (Stupid question: does EPL use the same size pitch as Germany, Spain, Italy?)

Hasn't someone ever done a comparison of countries in terms of the ratio of import to export of players and how it relates to World Cup success? Probably stating the obvious, but I would think that countries that export more than they import would be more successful.

20. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So dare I now ask, what would be the ideal place for a young American to develop? Brazil, Argentina?

The thing people overlook is the fundamental point that Matt's said - the highest standard today is club football, not necessarily the National side. And in that way, managers are trying to fill, to the best of their abilities, the players that will satisfy holes in their systems, and upgrades in their systems. The questions isn't "will the yank develop for the National team" really. It is "How will the yank progress (best) in his football career? - what better fits the style he needs to be most successful?"

The premiership is a terrific way for players to learn the game, and the English style of play. Then again, academies in Brasil are also very successful. But different countries have different football identities. So again, really, it depends on the player.

21. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Always a pleasure, never a chore.
    And - do you think that US players would get more playing time in either Germany or Italy? They haven't done thus far. Indeed Friedel, an EPL player was a shining light for the US at the WC.

England's style does change rather more frequently than you'd imagine. However it still retains the more physical style. Each manager we have has a slightly different style. So far, Sven's style hasn't produced too many bad results, with overall pleasing results. But what hasn't ever, nor probably will ever, happen is a total transformation to the more continental/latin style of play. The style of play reflects to a large degree, where the majority of the team plays domestically. The vast majority of the England team plays in England where the style is for quicker and more physical play, this gets translated to the national stage. If the vast majority of our players played in Italy or Spain domestically, then maybe we'd change our style. But the EPL is one of the top leagues in Europe, so the top players don't usually go abroad.
    If that's not the proviso, and you're saying we need to change at a domestic level so we can play with a more latin flavour internationally - well that's just a mind-boggling idea.

Also, who is to say that we ought to change the English style? As I said before, there's a fine line between success and being one of the also-rans.
    I know this is the rivalries forum and all stupid answers aside; which team would go into a match v. England, and expect to win easily?
    Because the style is usually different from the opponents, and certainly from most, it's an easy way of saying what went wrong. But it doesn't necessarily make it true.

If it was a question:
    EPL pitches are all different sizes, as are those abroad. There are no strict rules on this, only guidelines. But certainly, a larger pitch would necessitate a slower pace.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Just a wild guess, but I'd bet Yanks have more all-time minutes in the Bundesliga than the EPL. I don't really have a position on which league is best for a Yank to go to - as Alex says above, I think it depends on the player. If any Yank can get playing time in any of the top leagues, it will most likely be good for the player and good for our National team (which I don't think Wanderer disagrees with). Given that we have few players that can start regularly in these leagues, it may be best for Yanks to stay in MLS, because they can play in those "pivotal positions" and take time to grow in the positions, a luxury they don't have in Europe. I still believe that Mathis would have been less likely to breakout the way he has had he been playing in Europe. As he was developing, he wouldn't have been good enough for significant playing time.

Nevertheless, I still think what Gareth Southgate said was interesting and worth considering. Another question - I know English clubs do well in the Champions League - would you say that the bottom feeders of the EPL would do as well against the bottom feeders of Italy, Germany, Spain? (I know this sounds like I'm implying something, but I really am just wondering.)

I think that's a good point - who the heck knows why England doesn't always "meet expectations" in the World Cup. It's all conjecture. Likewise, why doesn't Spain do better than they do. I think it's a mistake though to say that because Spain doesn't do well playing a certain style that it proves that England need not worry about changing styles.

That's what I was getting at - I was wondering if they play, on average, on smaller pitches than on the continent.

23. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

most pitches all over the world are off similar size, if there are differences they are only a few yards here and there...

Although that said nearly all are same size in prem except arsenals which to my eyes anyway looks alot shorter than everyone elses.

Most will be same size.

24. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Arsenal - 110 x 71 yards
    Birmingham City - 115 x 75 yards
    Blackburn Rovers - 115 x 76 yards
    Bolton Wanderers - 105 x 68 yards
    Charlton Athletic - 112 x 73 yards
    Chelsea - 113 x 74 yards
    Everton - 112 x 78 yards
    Leeds United - 117 x 76 yards
    Liverpool - 110 x 75 yards
    Manchester City - 116.5 x 78 yards
    Manchester United - 116 x 76 yards
    Middlesbrough - 115 x 75 yards
    Newcastle United - 110 x 73 yards
    Southampton - 112 x 74 yards
    Sunderland - 115 x 75 yards
    Tottenham Hotspur - 110 x 73 yards
    West Bromwich Albion - 115 x 74 yards
    West Ham United - 112 x 72 yards

I too would have said Arsenal's was way smaller than anything else, and I've been there!
    Wouldn't have put Bolton's as smaller.

Selection from Serie A:
    Milan - 105 x 68 metres (can't be bothered to translate it to yards)
    Lazio - 105 x 68 metres
    Bologna 110 x 68 metres
    Lecce - 105 x 70 metres

Couldn't immediately find Bundesliga but I would be sure they weren't too different from these.

25. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The best teams are not clubs, but the elite national sides. It should be self-evident based on the mathematics alone, but otherwise please let me know which club could compete with a Brazil? A much greater concentration of talent resides in the top 6 nations than the top 6 clubs.