Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by The Wanderer, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Mc_Midas

Mc_Midas New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    -Rotherham!-
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

in england we have the 'if he isn't playing we are screwed mentality' owen like shearer before him is seen as englands hope. Fowler is a much better natural finisher than owen is. and teddy is well needed because heskey is just toss. at first ppl were scared of him cos of his size everyone now knows he goes down if u graze him and secondly all englands good partnerships operate on a striker and a person in the hole. i fink england would be fine if we didn't have heskey and owen - i fink we would be better off without heskey anyway - fowler and teddy would be a good strikepartnership.

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I think MLS has failed to realise that there simply isn't the same amount a transfer money floating around Europe any more. If they're expecting more money down the road, they're likely to be disappointed.

3. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Young Yanks shouldn't go to the premiership part 2

Not a Heskey fan, I see. ;)

But really? Teddy's a bit too old now and has certainly slowed and Fowler has alwasy been a bit of an enigma when it came to injury and consistency. But I do agree though - it is a "we're ***************ed" mentallity regarding Owen. Much like Shearer before him, he carries the load. IT was just a bit odd that the two never seemed to really tandem the way that I thought they would (Shearer and Owen) but then again, Owen was usually hurt in the days after 98.

Vassell has his time now and of course there are up and comers between now and Euro 2004.

4. Mc_Midas

Mc_Midas New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    -Rotherham!-
    teddy is old but he isn't too old for international football is slow compared to the prem so long as he can cope with the prem he can cope at international lvl.

fowler will do well once he gets over his injuries - if he didn't have those two years out he would be svens number one.

shearer and owen was a bad partnership players are too similar - england need a hole player and the only hole player we have is teddy. lots of shearers international goals were thanks to teddy.

Vassell is like owen and we be no use upfront next to him.

Matt Jansen was gonna be looked at by sven before the wc but was injured so he might come through. i never get why andy cole was never given a proper run - one of the top scorers in the prem.

5. Achilles

Achilles New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Arizona
    No, but you don't see the Dutch or the Spanish coming here acting the fool saying how much better they are than the world.

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Agreed, that seems to be the preserve of Americans...

7. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Really? That is a shock to me! France '98 was "mostly based out of England"??? Bwahahahahahahah! You should try stand-up comedy! You're killing me! Pass me some of whatever you've been smoking! Stay off the crack if you're going to post! So France '98 was "mostly based out of England" LOL!

Lizarazu played for Bilbao and Bayern leading up to '98.
    Zidane was with Juventus in 98.
    Thuram was playing for Parma in 98.
    Henry was with Monaco, and signed with Juve in 1998.
    Desailly was with AC Milan in 98.
    Deschamps was with Juventus in 98.
    Djorkaeff was with Inter Milan in 98.
    Dugarry was with Barca, and then Milan 98.
    Karembeu was with Sampdoria in 98.
    Boghossian was with Sampdoria in 98, and Napoli before that.

Pires was playing for Metz in '98.
    Trezeguet was with Monaco in '98.
    Blanc played for Napoli, Barca, and Inter Milan

The France '98 squad was "mostly based out of England?" That is a real shocker. Come back when you get a clue!

8. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

well, one goal (Albania?) in 13 games isnt the best numbers and didnt he miss like an 8 yarder against Finland? You have to REALLY 'strike' to be a good international striker, he seems to be more of a plod and preassure forward and less a prolific scorer. Cole would play the slot well if england went to a 4-4-1-1, but Sven and a 1-1 will probably never be a match.

9. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I will cheerfully concede that no Yank currently has a choice between serie A, premiership, germany, and la liga. I honestly don't see how that is at all relevant to a debate about which leagues are better at developing talent. Maybe you can explain to me how the number of choices that American players currently have is related in any way to the argument over which leagues are better at developing talent.

Well, I admit, I haven't seen any of your clubs excellent youth development. I do know that a US youth squad (composed mostly of our youth national side's reserves and/or rejects) just bitch-slapped Bolton's U-21's 4-1, and outshot them something like 15-3.

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=19842&itype=

10. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    For the billionth time.
    There isn't the same desire to go abroad to find success at a higher level of football here than there is elsewhere (particularly in 'weaker' leagues).
    There isn't the need to. We have great strength in depth where our football clubs are concerned.
    The English football leagues are consistently described as being amongst the top in Europe (even the World), so by your measure all the Italian young talent should be scouting elsewhere too. What's the point when decent football is played and decent wages are paid here?

As an extra point, I've heard a few times that the offers coming in for US players 'have been laughably minuscule' and nowhere near what they are worth. As any good antiques dealer will tell you (and I'm not calling the US team antiques before any touchy or pubescent American jumps on my back), something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. It's pointless arguing that DMB(for example) is 'worth' $Xmillion, when teams are offering less than that. 'Worth' is something for the buyer to decide on, not the seller.

Unfortunately for MLS, they have put their players on a world stage (and this time they've done something worth looking at), just as the transfer fee/wage bubble has burst. If they'd have been around 2 years ago, this whole issue would for the most part be irrelevant. Most of the team would have been bought for over-inflated prices and been given over-inflated wages by several middling clubs (maybe even better than that, who knows?). Those times are mostly gone however and I for one can't see them returning any time soon. The problem is that MLS (or more accurately, the fans) is expecting those same inflated prices (I know some are artificially high demands in order to keep talent at home, or at least try to do that) for what Euro teams consider to be 'average' talent. The offers given now for the services of various members of the US team are actually closer to the true 'worth' of the players, than the inflated prices of a few years ago and that are being expected now.

It's just a case of bad timing, the US team missed the boat, however if people were worried that MLS would die if all the talent went overseas, I'm not sure that's an issue anymore.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    If the US meet Bolton in a future WC, they can be virtually guaranteed the 3 points then. :)

12. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Are we talking development within the system or development within a club? The last two finalists of the Euro U21 Competition was between France and the Czech Republic, with the Czechs winning on penalties courtesy of their cheating keeper. I wouldn't say that gives the Czechs the best league or development system.

Germany reached the WC final through having the easier route (barring the US game), so they DEFINITELY don't have the best development policy. In fact, they suck.

Also, it's down to which club one joins. Reyna is a fantastic player, but as I pointed out at the time on these boards, Sunderland is just the wrong team. They play the long-ball up to Quinn, who heads it down to Phillips, who-GOAL!

The best youth development (in my opinion) is the French, followed by Italy, Spain and England. Spain seems to be better at developing overseas talent, or at least capitalising on it, England buys older, more proven foreigners and developes its own (ManUre, West Ham and Spurs are doing particularly well (and Liverpool, sorry 'Pool fans)). Italy buys South American and developes its own to devestating effect. Germany, at the moment aren't quite there, but lets face it they hardly (if ever) make big investments in overseas players (except Bayern), so they'll always look to bring their own through (like Hargreaves).

But lets face it, any of these leagues are better than the MLS (which is getting better all the time). But no Yank player is going to get better if he's only warming the bench (hello Max-Moore).

I don't know of any EPL based bids for MLS players after the WC, but I wouldn't be surprised if when the play-off's finish, we see a few concrete offers appear.

In conclusion, an MLS player should take whichever european top-league offer he can (if the MLS lets him). He'll only get better facing the likes of Linke, Stam, Ferdinand etc. week in, week out.

What thinks you?

13. Mc_Midas

Mc_Midas New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    -Rotherham!-
    sven was looking at him just saying 8o

14. Mc_Midas

Mc_Midas New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    -Rotherham!-
    brazil have good youth development. france used to not anymore.

mls player should go to a club in europe that he can get in the team - no offense i doubt any american player could play for a english(bar keller and brad)/italian/spanish club :eek: if they did get signed they would be in revserves.

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Uh? Bolton don't have an U-21 team...

Not only that there's no mention of this alleged friendly anywhere other than at the link you gave.

And to top it all off our first team, reserve team and top academy players are busy playing pre-season friendlies elsewhere.

16. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

Also mIddlesbrough has one of the best Training facilities in europe along with some of the best coaches...so how can this be bad for young players???

17. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Must've been the Democratic Republic of Bolton the article was refering to. ;)

18. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Apparently you haven't realized that NO ONE is buying players this summer. It's not quite literally. Compared to the last few years, it has been no one. Pointing out that no one has bought any Americans after the World Cup is a bit like pointing out that no one has bought any French players and concluding it means they suck. Seriously, who on the roster for France has been bought in a transfer deal? Spain? Italy? Germany (note that Ballack + others were bought by Bayern before the cup)? Which English players have moved beside Rio? THere just isn't much movement out there right now. It's not the nationality; the market is just darn slow right now.

19. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

Boro have bough players

Juninho(TLF)
    Massimo Maccarone
    Gerimi (loan)
    Boeteng
    Frank Queadrue

Also boro and liverpool have been spending mony

Bolton bought j j ochotcha (lol sp)

im sure there are more but i cant be arsed to list em all

20. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago

no, it's for real. USSF wouldnt just make something like this up. I think it's all academy players, not even reserves, who are playing the matches. And it's just players who are under 21, not neccesarly a squad.

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The list I saw indicated that the total value of transfer deals involving English teams was about a third of last season. And a big chunk of this comes from Man Utd (Ferdinand) and Man City. Of course, there's still a couple of weeks to go, but I'd still be surprised if even half of last summer's total is reached.

Okocha is a loan deal, iirc. Bolton are one of a number of teams that haven't spent any money at all.

22. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Boy, these arguements get tiresome.

1. MLS has set higher than market prices for it's WC players simply because they are worth it TO MLS. They are recognizable in a way new to MLS and a real asset in marketing and drawing fans to the park. These are not things that would be a factor to any Euro club, obviously. Thus, no bids that meet MLS price. Is it the right strategy-maybe. Is it naive-no. McBride is more valuable to MLS(in MLS's view) in Columbus than he is in terms of transfer fees right now.

2. Why is it American soccer fans must act so desperate for attention and respect from the English? We meet in no club competitions and have not met in an important National Team competition since 1950. Yes, some of the English posters come off as a bit pompous-but some of the Americans come off as desperate (who the hell is going to be impressed with a win over a Bolton youth side?). Have a little confidence in the American player and in MLS. You can see it on the field that USA soccer is improving, why do we need some Brit to bestow blessings on us? We have defeated Mexico in 5 of the last 6 including at the WC, LA is the current club champ in Concacaf, and USA won the Gold Cup-and yet you'd be hard pressed to find many Mexicans who would call the US superior. Why do you feel that we're going to get all this respect from the English, based on far fewer hard results. We know we're slowly getting better-just enjoy the ride.

3. The true respect for the American player will not be in how many 25 year-olds we can send across the pond. It's that we're starting to see more 16 year-olds have a chance to try the JOB route in clubs around Europe (and england-at least 2-3 with Arsenal). Couple that with MLS forming real reserve sides, US could have some real player development on a large scale for maybe the first time ever.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're half right. If Boro offers $800K for DeMarcus Beasley, and MLS says, no he's worth the $1.2M that Ajax offered us for him before Sikora fell into their laps, what is DMB's value?

To Boro, it's $800K. To MLS, they think his value is $1.2M.

Let's take the case of Brian McBride. Pursued by Everton. The thing is, he is the icon in Columbus, not just for soccer or MLS, but for professional sports. He's bigger there than any of their NHL players. So maybe Everton says, hmmm, decent skills, 30 years old, injury prone...he may help us, let's take a flyer and offer $750K for him (just a hypothetical.)

But the Crew may say, look, we've been building our marketing campaign around this guy for 7 years. He's worth more than that in terms of tickets sales and wins. I mean, player prices (except for the rare merchandising icon like Nakata or Becks, etc.) are derived by the wins and draws a player gets for his team, because fans spend more money supporting winners, and teams are rewarded for winning.

I guess what I'm saying is, because of soccer's tenuous place in the US sports culture, PLUS (and this is a big, big deal) the fact that the MLS season is hitting the homestretch when European teams want to buy, artificially deflates the value of Americans in Europe, compared to their worth in the US. I mean, it would be bad enough for the Crew to sell their icon, in terms of getting fans to the games. But to, on top of that, sell probably their best player in the middle of their fight for the postseason, would be a public relations nightmare. One not worth the money Everton is offering.

So both sides are satisfied. McBride is worth X to Everton, and 1 1/2 X to the Crew.

24. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I think it should be the player's decision really, and I know if I were in that position to chose I'd look at what would be best for my career. IT is always an honor to play for your country but realistically, the best play for their country and the better you are, the better your chances will be. It's not just about playing in the Premiership or in Spain or Germany or Italy or Argentina (anyone notice how many American fans "snub" South America? ;) ) It's about what will best fit what you're trying to do with your career, and where your skills can best serve the system that's aim is to achieve a set result without being sitracted by the BS on the side. Simple as that.

Yes, it would be great for a fan to boast: "Our top player plays for Real Madrid". But if you're the player, and you're not up to par with your teammates, and you don't fit into the system + will never be utilized, what good does that do your development? Great, so I can be Zidane's whipping boy in practice.

Be realistic... you'd want more than that. And that's the reality. Just be realistic in their skills, the system they're looking at, and what's best for them as an individual player in their career. THe National Side isn't payin' all that much in comparison these days. :D

25. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even then you'd be looking at 16 year olds. Most of the academy lads are with the first and reserve team.