Why "World Championship" instead of "World Cup"?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by olckicker, Jul 15, 2006.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    If cricket, rugby and ice hockey can call their biggest international tournament a "world cup" basketball should be able to do the same. Oh well, I'll always call it the basketball "world cup".

2. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they win a cup? Not trying to be an ass just wondering.

3. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Actually it's a good question. I forgot. But if they don't they should. To me "World Cup" sounds and reads better than "World Championship".

4. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    World Cup of Hockey is not as big as the IIHF World Championships.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, the World Cup soccer is not a cup either. Not trying to be an ass just pointing it out. :)

6. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --But it used to be. :)

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because they hate our freedoms.

8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    We Germans call both the tournament in Basketball and in Soccer World Championship :D.

9. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cause there is only one World Cup.

The rest are World Championships who dare to call themselves World Cups. :eek:

10. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa

the iihf world championships is an annual event that is a much bigger deal in europe than in north america. at least at the canada cup/world cup of hockey that is played every 4-5 years everyone sends theit best players. the iihf tournament is second rate at best.

11. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    I would put the World Cup of Hockey below the World Championships. The World Championships have a longer history plus they have actual qualifying.

12. VON9905

VON9905 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Well, yeah, but the World Championship like someone said are held every year, so it's not as much of a big deal because you can see it all the time and not have to wait 4 years. Not only that, but it, from what I remember, is held during the Stanley Cup Finals and maybe even earlier playoff rounds so the best players can't even play. Also, noone cares because it is held during another big competition from the same sport. I think the World Cup of Hockey will just get bigger and better as the years go on and tradition builds.

-Von

13. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Sweden
    There are so many Hockey-championships, right now there is one called Ceska Cup. However, The Olympics is still the biggest.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The World Cup of Hockey is a NHL tournament aimed at the North American audience. It's results don't count in the IIHF world ranking. I for one don't care for it and will always prefer the World Championships over some NHL effort...

15. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Eventually, the World Cup of Hockey will get big. But as of right now, it is nothing compared to the World Championships.

16. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United