Why won't MLS owners mandate attacking soccer?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Chivas have 5 more goals scored this season than the only other team in the league (RSL) even close to as bad as they are. They tried to play the attacking game, they just didn't have the talent. When they get good enough forwards to keep Matt Taylor off the field, they'll probably try again.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Heck, it's not even the dumbest thread by this thread starter.

3. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Hell, they don't even see the value of keeping entertaining sides IN the league:

Hey, I know everyone wants Miami back in MLS...I know that you know that I know that you know that MLS is still missing the kind of rich, attractive, offensive-style, play with a certain flair that Ray Hudson's sh**kickers brought to the league that last year--you know, the same year their attendance took off and they were red-carded outta the playoffs (can't have your league champs contracted now, you know?)

We all know that you know that we know that you know that you want MLS back in Miami. Rest assured people, your wishes will be fulfilled at some point...not a matter of IF, but of WHEN...

Main idea: More Ray Hudson, more excitement for this vanilla, defensive league.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Actually, that originally came under my #1 (though only parenthetically). I agree that MLS, with its single entity structure, has unique ability to transfer the spending onto players that can attack rather than ones that can defend. MLS has the power to say, "Next year, more Thiagos, fewer Simo Vaalikaris" if they want (even though Simo is a good player, he's pretty much a pure destroyer).

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think moving to a 4-1-0 would go relatively unopposed from FIFA (the 3-1-0 is actually pretty new in the scheme of things, and hardly written in stone). Then again, I also think it would have less effect than some of the ones that might draw more opposition.

And FIFA does still change rules. I was a big admirer of the new timewasting rules, for instance.

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta let it go man, for your own good.

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    As I see it, the big problem with both of these systems is psychological. A team that ties shouldn't be "gaining a point." It's been shown that when people feel like they're gaining something, they become a lot more conservative; likewise, when they feel like they're already behind, they're more willing to gamble.

With that in mind, why not replace the 3,1,0 system with the mathematically equivalent* 1,-1,-2 system? This way, a tie is a bad situation that you hope to get away from. More moderately, FIFA could switch to the 2,0,-1 system, where a tie means that you walk away with nothing.

(Sorry about overlooking your parenthetical before.)

*assuming all teams play an identical number of games

8. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't Russia...Is this Russia?...This isn't Russia.
    -Ty Webb

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    You know, I really do agree with you on that. Studies of home field advantage in MLS suggest playing for the draw on the road is not an appropriate strategy unless you know the team you're playing against is better than you. And yet, there seem to be teams every year who do it.

I like the 'moderate' proposal there. It's already psychologically very different even though mathematically equivalent. The bolder one may not be necessary.

10. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Thank you! They came to Foxboro and took the bus, their fans, the team, the mascot and all the hobos in Boston they could round up on short notice and parked them all in front of their net.

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Let's not confuse poor defending with "attacking soccer." Recently, Chivas USA has been putting out lineups in which as many as 6 or even 7 players are listed as defenders. A lot of goals are scored in their games, but that's mostly because their opponents score a lot of goals on them. It's disingenuous to say they're playing attacking soccer because they've scored 5 more goals than the next-worst team in the league - they've still scored the third-fewest goals in the league, and their attack is not that much better than the two behind them, since they've played one more match than RSL and two more matches than Columbus.

More telling: Chivas USA has the second-fewest shots of any team in the league (ahead of only Colorado), and the fewest shots on target (by a fairly large margin), despite having played 16 matches when most of the league has played 14 or 15. Only FC Dallas and DC United have been caught offside fewer times per match. Only Kansas City has had fewer corner kicks per game. I've just cited every single aggregate stat that is any indication of how much attacking a team has done, and Chivas USA is the only team that is consistently near the bottom in all of them.

And as for effectiveness... after playing exactly half of their matches, they currently have 6 points on the season, and if they continue this pace they'll be the worst team in MLS history (relevant marks: 2003 Dallas Burn, 16 points; 1999 Metrostars, 15 points in shootout era). More interestingly, 5 of those 6 points were earned in matches in which they played very defensively.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That said, their ratio of 15 goals: 6 points is by far the highest in the league, and they've outscored the two teams immediately ahead of them in the standings, which says to me they try a lot harder to score than the other crappy teams do.

13. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a whole lot more scoring. I could definitely see Columbus scoring 3 goals in the 2 games that they have in hand.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    A 0-0 draw is no worse than a 1-1 or 5-5 draw. How can you punish a team for having good defense and not allowing goals, and reward them for allowing 5 goals? You shouldn't say that offense is more important than defense. That's not fair.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I just gave numerista retroactive rep, because feeding on his idea (the moderate version), I've discovered something:

Code:
    	Team	GP	W	L	T	PTS	[b]ADJ Pts[/b]
    FC Dallas	15	10	2	3	33	18
    New England	14	9	1	4	31	17
    Chicago   	17	9	6	2	29	12
    San Jose	15	6	3	6	24	9
    Los Angeles	15	7	5	3	24	9
    Kansas City	15	5	3	7	22	7
    MetroStars	14	5	4	5	20	6
    D.C. United	14	5	5	4	19	5
    Columbus	14	4	8	2	14	0
    Colorado	16	4	10	2	14	-2
    Real Salt Lake	15	3	9	3	12	-3
    Chivas USA	16	1	12	3	6	-10

You see what I'm seeing? This table does a heckuvalot better job filtering out for matches in hand than does the current MLS table. Notice how Chicago goes back closer to the pack.

Question is, could you stomach a negative point total? If you could, it sets up a enat playoff scenario, as every team above zero points looks like it would qualify for the playoffs (at least in a single table) and every team zero or below wouldn't.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    You know, this is partially just a philosphical debate (in which the best answer would be, "if people think a 0-0 draw is worse, then it is"), but part of it is an empirical question on whether it is easier to deny goals than to score them.

I don't know what the answer to that half is, but I suspect it's easier to deny goals by playing a defensive style than to score them by playing an offensive one. After all, if you score a goal, then most of the time you had to run a competent offensive play to do so. However, not allowing a goal could just be the other team's incompetence.

For instance, Real Salt Lake has shut its opponents out 3 times so far this season. FC Dallas has done it. . . 4 times.

17. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Hey! I got an idea - why don't they just mandate attendance? :confused:

Brilliant!

18. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I've been stuck on hold for an hour, so I tallied up a few numbers for scoreless draws ...

South American WC qualifying in 2002 and 2006
    Ties involving either Argentina or Brazil:
    scoreless -- 5 (29%)
    other -- 12 (71%)

Ties involving two other teams:
    scoreless -- 12 (50%)
    other -- 12 (50%)

Bundesliga 2004/05
    Top half of table -- 14 scoreless draws
    Bottom half of table -- 22 scoreless draws

There is a hint that weaker teams play more scoreless draws.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy.

Six points for a win.
    Two points for a tie.
    Zero points for a loss.
    One point for each goal scored.

Code:
    [U][B]EASTERN CONFERENCE[/B][/U]
    Team		GP  W  L  T	GF GA	PTS
    New England	14  9  1  4	28 13	 90
    Chicago		17  9  6  2	31 26	 89
    Kansas City	15  5  3  7	25 19	 69
    MetroStars	14  5  4  5	22 17	 62
    D.C. United	14  5  5  4	21 19	 59
    Columbus	14  4  8  2	12 24	 40

[U][B]WESTERN CONFERENCE[/B][/U]
    FC Dallas	15 10  2  3	28 14	 94
    San Jose	15  6  3  6	22 15	 70
    Los Angeles	15  7  5  3	20 18	 68
    Colorado	16  4 10  2	16 22	 44
    Real Salt Lake	15  3  9  3	10 25	 34
    Chivas USA	16  1 12  3	15 38	 27

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought people were talking about forcing coaches to do certain things, not changing the point structure, which I am generally ambivalent on

Funny that that structure keeps the standings in exactly the same order.

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if you look at previous years. Take last year:

Code:
    Columbus	30 12  5 13	49 40	147
    D.C. United	30 11 10  9	43 42	127
    MetroStars	30 11 12  7	40 47	120
    New England	30  8 13  9	42 43	108
    Chicago		30  8 13  9	36 44	102

[U][B]WESTERN CONFERENCE[/B][/U]
    Kansas City	30 14  9  7	38 30	136
    Los Angeles	30 11  9 10	42 40	128
    [B]San Jose	30  9 10 11	41 35	117
    Colorado	30 10  9 11	29 32	111[/B]
    Dallas		30 10 14  6	34 45	106
    In fact, you can make the argument that in terms of emphasizing "attacking soccer," it still slightly overemphasizes wins and dras vis-a-vis goals scored.

Look at Colorado and Dallas. Colorado was the one team in the league that scored fewer goals than Dallas, but they would be in the playoffs in this system. Why? Because while both teams had 10 wins, Colorado had 11 draws to Dallas' 6.

22. BanglaBlue

BanglaBlue Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Sigh. Time for my standard retort.

"If you want entertainment, go watch clowns."

23. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Vergera how he does it with Chivas in Mexico and Chivas in USA.

24. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Your goal numbers are off for Cbus and Metro

You have the pts each team earned as GF and the number of goals scored as GA.

Recalculated it should look like this.

Code:
    Columbus	30 12  5 13	40 32	138
    D.C. United	30 11 10  9	43 42	127
    MetroStars	30 11 12  7	47 49	127
    New England	30  8 13  9	42 43	108
    Chicago		30  8 13  9	36 44	102
    I think

25. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think part of it is that most other teams in MFL also go for attacking soccer....So Chivas Mexican version finds more suiccess with their style...... here, too much conservative tactics/tacticians..... Heck, Ellinger, Gansler. Andrulis.... And at times NOvak, Clavijo, Sarachan, ... Heck just right there you have 50% of the league..And it's not about scoring alone (when people pull out goals per game avgs)..... it's about not creating that many good chances to score.... and entertain the fan in the process....