Why won't geocities work on here?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Maczebus, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Right - I've been wanting to post some pictures on here, or at least give a link to them for some buddies on here to have a gawp at. I knew the whole necessity of the [url /url] thing, so I needed a website....

I registered a geocities site and uploaded the pictures.
    I first came upon the problem that the pictures themselves wouldn't load on the BS page. So then I posted a link instead. That link wouldn't work, it wouldn't go to the photo.

So, either let me know what to do to get geocities to allow me to post a pic here OR let me know how to set something up (free) so I can post a few pics of my own on here.

Thank you very much

2. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    I understand geocities can't handle the traffic.

You can try http://www.photobucket.com but I not sure they can handle it that much better.

3. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Because GeoCities hates you and thinks you're fat.

4. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I suspected as much.

Bastards.

5. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    So other than these options, there's nothing much that can be done if I want to put personal pics up here?

Will try this bucket place too.

6. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    Yeah that's right. Try photobucket, but only provide links because theres a lot of traffic on Bigsoccer and I don't think they can handle it either. Photobucket is the only one i'm aware of, im sure you can find better.

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Geocites is a write protected site I believe. As such, you cannot "take" pictures from websites with Geocites domains. At least that has been my experience. Same thing with angelfire.com. For instance, when you try to "steal" a pic from a geocites web site, you will get this:

[​IMG]

There may be a way to get beyond the firewalls, and while I am not "fat" as Amerifolklegend would say ;-) I certainly am far too lazy to tool around and figure it out right now thanks to this head-cold.

[​IMG]
    Famous Pirate: Francis L'Olonais

8. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Oops. That didn't work.

Hmm... let me re-think this. You know, maybe it's a user preference because that geocites image of the Looney Tune I didn't think would show.

9. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    No, you're right.

It didn't show.
    I've found they lull one into a false sense of security. They show it for about 5 minutes then stop. It appears it's done the same to you.

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Basically, it's a drain on the server every time you load a picture. And if the picture is on Geocities but posted elsewhere, that means Geocities server is getting worked without you visiting Geocities and viewing their ads.

mac.com lets you hotlink but it's $100 a year:
    [​IMG]

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Fuck that.