Why won't Donovan get endline? [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Warzycha, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Warzycha

Warzycha Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Has anyone else noticed that Donovan, attacking from the right side, will get to the right corner of the 18 and cut back to the middle to serve with his left foot every time? I can't think of a time that he has gone at that last defender, faked him inside, bounced outside, and gone to the endline to get in behind the defense. I noticed this vs Grenada, but since they were playing with 10 defenders behind the ball, it would have been very difficult to do. In the 1-1 tie vs Poland, he did the same and Poland was committing players forward. Don't get me wrong, his left footed serves that curl in to the back post have gotten very good, but mix it up a bit. I think he is going to continue to try to score the same goal Oli Kahn denied him until he finally converts it (that low, far post, left footed shot, that the goal keeper finger tips just wide). In trying to figure out our style of attacking, I can think off the top of my head of McBride & Donovan's goals against Mexico (J/K), as well as McBride's goal vs Portugal, all came off players getting endline, in behind the defense and serving the ball back in the mix (Sanneh, Eddie Lewis, and Reyna + Wolfe on the respective serves). Good teams attack in a variety of ways, never coming from the same place too often. This creativity has allowed teams like Brazil & Argentina to be such historically dominating teams. To this point, a player of Donovan's ability should be mixing it up more. He is usually running at full speed at the last line of defense. Why not got at them, bounce to the outside and get in behind them one time for a right footed serve, then cut back and use the left foot the next? If he gets too predictable he'll become very average at the International level. Mix it up LD, get endline every once in a while!