Why won’t the Dalai Lama pick a fight?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by verybdog, Oct 5, 2003.

1. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Maybe he just feels that "pray, but it might not help" is a tad more hopeful (and would play better) than "there is nothing I can offer."

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Why won't the Dalai Lama pick a fight?

So are all the billions of Asians who lived before the spread of Christianity going to hell?

3. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Why won't the Dalai Lama pick a fight?

Chronometric ignorance is no excuse; for Christians (not the followers of Jesus' teaching's mind you, but the followers of Paul's religion), it doesn't matter when you were born, or what your ability to even hear those bearing witness to the Testament is (i.e., boys and girls in isloated villages outside Mosul)...haven't accepted Jesus as THE way, truth, and light?

Go to Hell.

4. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago

I don't know. Do you think belief in Jesus' death and resurrection is necessary for eternal life?

5. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Why won't the Dalai Lama pick a fight?

That's your opinion. What do you do with this verse in John 14?

6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Never mind. I'll answer for you. John made this up after asking Paul how to write his faux gospel. Jesus never said it. There. That was easy.

6. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why won't the Dalai Lama pick a fight?

I don't start there. I start with Matthew 22; 36-40:

36: "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"

37: And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.

38: This is the great and first commandment.

39: And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

40: On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

Until Christians have mastered the Two Great COMMANDMENTS, there's no real context, no real reason, to move on to debatables, now is there?

Never mind. I'll answer for you. Matthew made this up after asking John how to write his faux gospel. Jesus never said it. There. That was easy.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Why won't the Dalai Lama pick a fight?

Then how do you know the Dalai Lama is a blasphemer? It doesn't say so in the Bible.

8. Re: Re: Why won't the Dalai Lama pick a fight?

Sweet merciful Allah, you infidels are totally unqualified to preach on blasphemy after you totally reject the Prophet chosen of Allah.

Really, people wonder why the history of Western religion is so violent up to this very day. I'm talking about the religions themselves, mind you, and not just the equally deplorable secular political violence.

I may be wrong, but I believe Tibetan Buddhism recognizes gods and goddesses as well as bodhisattvas and whatnot. In fact, I think there are five "realms" within Tibetan Buddhism - two "heavens", earth, and two "hells".

I'd also like to know what Tibetan term he used that was translated as "prayer" or if he just said "prayer" because he was speaking to a mostly Western audience who cannot conceive of any other form of spiritual activity.

But it does not matter because both you and the Dalai Lama should cease your blasphemous and unbelieving ways and embrace the holy Words of Allah as spoken through the Prophet. So there.

9. What would you have him do? Create suicide bombers like those fools who dare call themselves Muslims in Palestine? So-called "Muslims" are busy setting off bombs in China and so I expect the Chinese to just roll over and release western China to Islam really soon, maybe next week. (How do you do the rolling eyes smiley person?)

The only card the Lama has to play is moral suasion and it must be played sparingly and intelligently. If you take and absolutist position and bash people over the head with it at every opportunity, it takes about 4.2 seconds for that to get really old and for people to begin to hope for you to die in nasty ways (see: "radical feminism").

As you insist that the Tibetans take a shrill, absolutist stance, I suggest you buy a basic book on buddhism and look up the term that is usually translated as "skillful means". Unlike some other religions, buddhism was generally not advanced at sword or gun point and therefore had to be adaptable and flexible.

I think Mr. Lama is doing a decent job of implementing skillful means in a world that doesn't give a pile of camel droppings about his people, which is shameful even if they are godless infidels who reject the Prophet. Now if (Allah forbid!) they discover oil in Lhasa...

10. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002

Yes, they recognize gods and the Tibetan pan*#*#*#*#*# is very complicated but each one of these gods is really just a symbol for a different state of mind. So when the Tibetans speak of gods it has a very different meaning than when monotheists like muslims and christians speak of God. I'd say that Tibetans believe these gods don't really exist, but then again for buddhists the self doesn't even exist so the whole question of what really exists is just too slippery of a slope.