Why was Mathis captain?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by mscheffel, Aug 21, 2002.

1. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    The image just popped into my head, I should go check the tape, but wasn't Mathis wearing the armband this weekend.

Ironically, I clearly remember Timmy comming out and acting like a leader on the field.

I think Mathis is a great player, but how can a captain be a guy that hasn't even been in the country most of the season?

2. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    No need to check the tape. He was captain. Don't know who he handed it off to when he was taken out of the game.

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The same point could be made about Tab.

4. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Mathis gave the captain's armband to Timmy.

Personally, I'd prefer a field player to be the captain since he should be the voice of the team when speaking to the ref. It's hard for a keeper to get involved in anything on the other end of the field. That being said, I think that Clint's temper might not be suited to the role.

5. g bugout

g bugout Member

Jan 27, 2002
    nyc
    Actually, Mathis gave it to Williams. He in turn may have given it over to Howard.

-g bugout

6. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Actually, I think his temper would be best suited for that. Maybe he coudl rip some players up. (chrono)

7. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Good point. Someone needs to start kicking/ripping some butt.

8. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Yep, looked to me like he gave it to Andy who was close by and told him to give it to Howard at the next chance.

9. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    "I'd prefer a field player to be the captain since he should be the voice of the team when speaking to the ref. It's hard for a keeper to get involved in anything on the other end of the field. That being said, I think that Clint's temper might not be suited to the role."

I also believe that a captain should be a field player and not a keeper.

This is the real job of the Captain. The captain is an important position on the team. He pushes players during practice peer pressure. He does the dirty work for the coach on the practice field. Let him raise his voice to another player on the practice field for not hustling for example.

The captain should be a leader, a winner, and a starter. He has to be someone who can play the game, and knows the game. He also wants everyone on the team to be the same.

He is the coach on the field. He spies something he doesn't like for example the way the team is supporting he fixes it. We don't seem to have anyone on the field right now who can do that job.

On talking to the official. It is not really the captains job to talk to the official. But, if you wanted someone to talk to the official it should be a calm guy, not a hot head. You make your point, throw in a joke make the offical laugh instead of pissing him off you might get a future call made your way.

Players see you yell at the official, makes them think they can do the same thing.

Richie

10. AngelN

AngelN New Member

Oct 14, 1999
    if clint is going to yell at the official anyway, you might as well give him the armband so he has a bit more leeway.

i think he was also made captain in the hopes of more responsibility as a team leader making him more focussed and motivated. it's better that he sees himself not as a good player stuck on a crappy team but as a good player leading a crappy team by example, lifting up the rest of the team. could work, hope it does. such a change could make a big difference in clint's game, perhaps is a necessary next step.

11. g bugout

g bugout Member

Jan 27, 2002
    nyc
    Clint was cappy last week; Jolley the game before that. I think if anything it was a welcome back gestrure (for Clint)from whomever decides who the captain will be.

Timmy, god love him, does not make a good captain. I say give it to Jolley, for the obvious reasons, or even Andy Williams. But, I don't think any defenders are going to listen to Williams about tightening up with tenacious d.

Up the Metro!
    Cut out the cancer that is OZ!

-g bugout