Why tryouts?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by marty94, Nov 13, 2003.

1. marty94

marty94 New Member

Why are Chivas holding tryouts? In avery other league, you have an exapnsion draft. Wouldn't they do the same in MLS? Each team protects so many players, can lose only one, etc. A new team or teams can be made up of those players, quality players elvated from A-league, college draft, and "free agents" from abroad. Having a tryout sounds silly at this point. Someone enlighten me.

2. I don't think that any league have an expansion draft... MLS is only league with with the single entity scheme. In other leagues every team is on his own, and getting their players is their own responsibility and none else care about it.

I believe that Chivas is holding tryouts to build a scheme similar to the many mexican teams and many other teams in the world. Many world teams (Ajax, Boca Junios and Real Madrid come to my mind) have soccer schools, youth teams and pro teams on lower divisions from where many of their players come. Many of the kids and young players have contract with the team, and if they have the skill necessary the will be promoted to the first team. In Mexico we call those players and teams as Fuerzas Basicas. That's why Chivas is inviting players from 10 to 25 years old.

This type of organization is new to US sports club. Since all the players for the MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. come from college sport system.

3. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    Plenty of established teams hold "open tryouts."

It's a publicity stunt.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Yeah, haven't you seen "The Rookie?"
    ;)