Why the sudden interest from investors?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Baggio10, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Baggio10

Baggio10 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    WUSA has tried to get new investors for 3 years now. No one stepped up to the plate. They obviously had reasons for not getting in. Why all of a sudden then are there "investers coming out of the woodwork" as Foudy put it? I don't buy the night in armor crap......The books for WUSA are still the same since Monday.
    The best move WUSA has made since its inception is shutting down operations.......the attention is obviously working if in fact there REALLY are five investors who have called since Monday.

Any thoughts?

2. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    WUSA was talking about "18 potential" investors
    right up until the suspension of operations announcement.

CEOs such as WUSA Players Associations head Julie Foudy (who will become the CEO of WUSA by default once WUSA LLC is dissolved) will always talk up the prospects of a business.

I'll believe that the "new sponsors" are real when the contracts are signed and the press release is issued.

3. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    It wouldn't surprise me if there were support for a smaller, more sponsor-friendly exhibition-type situation, but a full-blown league is highly unlikely, imho.

4. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    There were some rather stubborn people running the league who refused to admit that they were spending more money than was justified. I think some of them are the same ones running the state of California.

At the same time, there were people, both within and outside the league, who felt the concept was valid but not the current execution. IMO, the move to dissolve was timed to gain maximum attention from investors, AND to revamp the budget in such a fashion as to make the league viable. Now add to that the fact the BJ King has added here name to supporters and you have a new concept that is much more attractive to investors.

With the new investors will come a much better business plan, or there will be no investors and no league. Look for an announcement about Finals time.