Why the Ronaldo resentment?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Hazardinho

Hazardinho Red Card

Jul 3, 2002
    Lol I had friend tell me that Ronaldo sucked because half of his goals were illegal...

I was like what, they go through the side of the net? Lol. :D

2. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Some losers hate stories of personal victories, even more of people who fall and manage to make a phoenix comeback.

3. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Ronaldo is all that, look, w/ all that weight, he still schools defenders who are what you say fit. I don't like Madrid, but with all the bad luck he has had to endure throuh injury how can you not like this guy, any other player of his equal or lesser would not have come back from that, and he was already set for life finacially, he could of called it quits.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

There are many different opinions and we cannot really say which ones are closer to the truth and there will be no correct opinion... this one though, lines up with my feelings on the situation... all the whining about Ronaldo being taken advantage of... one of the first things you learn playing football for a team is to put the team ahead of yourself... Ronaldo has always been unable to do this... (even at Madrid he complained about being subbed off despite a lack of fitness) sometimes playing with pain is part of putting the team first... sometimes, staying down when you are injured and not the best option for you team, or not pushing yourself is the best thing to do for the team. At 18 everyone should be able to make these choices and decisions, at 22 you should be good at them... Ronaldo is not Cristiano Ronaldo, he is has not become big overnight... by the time the incidents in Milan occured he was already the games brightest star, you cant claim ignorance on his part... and if he was ignorant its his fault. He was able to sit and do nothing and collect wages, but as soon as he was better he left? He should have tried to make things work for atleast another season... he was very selfish... which is still his problem...

And for what its worth... IMO Ronaldo is not the best striker in the world, on his club team, or in his country.. not right now. Rivaldo won that world cup with a little help from Kahn...

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

True. This guy has two years off the game, but is still the best player in the world. On top of that, he won a WC by scoring 9 goals in the tournament.

6. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Because he's vulnerable now.

Pre-injury, I don't think really could criticize Ronaldo all that much. He was magnificent, and that was all you could say.

Now, he's a step slower, out of shape, and doesn't do all the things he used to. He's still one of the best players - and I think if he'd never been anything else, people wouldn't attack him so much.

People are always ready to turn on the best players. Old age or a career-ending injury provides an excuse. Ronaldo's an odd case - when stars age and retire, it's normal and natural. With Ronaldo, it's like he's had two different careers. Great in both, but not really the same player.