Why the Ronaldo resentment?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I haven't been on this board for ages, but since returning i've notcied a whole load of Ronaldo hate! It's entertaining to read but,where the hell is it all coming from?

What exactly has he done to 'offend' so many people. Why all the beratement and belittling of his achievements? LoL, the replies to this should be fun because for the life of me I cannot comprehend the seemingly sudden loathing of the best player on the planet...

Is it because he's at Madrid now? Or because he's a world cup winner now...? What, what, whattt??

Shoot! :D

2. Froggy316

Froggy316 Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    He gets hated on because he's the best, and because he'll never hate back.

3. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Yes. You´re right.

Selfish mean people and envy people are one of kind of boring people that I cannot stand. Big yawn...

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I hate him because he's the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

Seriously, the only real thing I have against the guy is the fact that he remains fat and out of shape... if he were to get back thin again, he would be able to be the Ronaldo of old (the current Ronaldo is top class, but not "a class above" as some claim). The fact that he's approachign his late 20s means this will probably never happen... so it's frustrating to watch.

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might also be because he is an unloyal bastard who turned his back on Inter whom cared after him through all his injuries.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, I think it's hatred of the success he's earned for his teams more than hatred of the player himself. I haven't actually read many posts where someone came out and bashed Ronaldo as a player. But both Real and Brasil seem to have more than their share of haters, even tho they're the sort of teams any true fan of the Game should appreciate. I suspect that if ManU (I use them because they're another love 'em/hate 'em team) were to play a friendly against Real in the States, most of the crowd would be cheering ManU, even though Real has more recent European success and possibly more World Cup champions on its roster. Are the posts you read coming mostly from Americans? BigSoccer has a LOT of American posters (I'm one), and I think some of them are uncomfortable giving respect to non- English-speaking football cultures.

7. 5446

5446 New Member

Nov 23, 1998
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think he's also hated b/c he's a good striker who, for some reason, is written about as though he is a great striker.

8. 5446

5446 New Member

Nov 23, 1998
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry....that should have been "as though he were a great striker."

9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I read in an article that his local club back in Brazil also is tired of him. He hasn't paid anything back.

10. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    So, post a link, please, because it´s not true.

11. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002

Ronaldo is a great striker...one of the best ever.

12. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    He was not "unloyal". Ronaldo got injured playing for Inter when the right thing to do before it had happened was send him to see a real doctor. They didn´t and it happened again!!!! For the second time!!!

Yes, a football player has to play, even when it hurts so bad that the only way to play is take a powerfull painkiller. Ronaldo was 22 at the time. A boy does not know how to say: "No! Wait a minute! I have to have an operation on my knee!".
    "Hey, Ronaldo! Just another match!" After all, Inter payed millions and millions of dollars to have him. Money, money, money... Ronaldo is not a commodity. He´s a human being. By the way, a profitable one. Just ask Inter.

A year before the 2002 WC Ronaldo was "finished", according to the press, the fans, everybody. Six months before the World Cup only a few people believed he could play in South Korea/Japan - and according to press rumours arriving from Italy, Inter was just going to sell him off after WC - yes, as "damaged merchandise".

But he came back. Surprisingly, the Argentine coach, Hector Cuper, who never liked him, kept Ronaldo in the bench for most of the time in the second semester of 2001 and just before the World Cup, in 2002. Why? After all, he was FULLY recovered at the time. Why he did not play? Why Cuper kept Ronaldo out of the pitch? "To preserve him", he said. Preserve him from what?

After the World Cup, when he had the golden boot and was World Champion, when the WORLD saw what Cuper could not see, Ronaldo tried to tell Moratti that he was only staying if Cuper went. He was right, as we know today.

I won´t judge Ronaldo or his character. I´ve never been under that kind of pressure to know how it feels. The only thing I know for sure is that nobody with a weak character could do what he did in the last WC and since then. He showed talent, brains and guts.

He already wrote his name among the immortals of the sport. And he´s only 27.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree with you that Ronaldo was not unloyal to Inter, he alone was responsible for some of their wins in the second half of the season before WC02 but as you said Cuper did not like him.

However, you cannot blame his second injury on Inter. Ronaldo was being taken care of by Gérard Saillant who is the best orthopaedic surgeon in the world. Inter were very careful in bringing him back after his first surgery. The Doctor says he was ready and the second injury was entirely unexpected. Inter did not push Ronaldo too hard to come back.

14. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Very interesting topic. I think A lot of the animosity towards Ronaldo was due to his leaving Inter at such an "opportune" time. The way he went to Madrid suggested to a lot of people that he left without properly repaying the Inter fans for their faith in his recovery. However, you can't really judge a situation like this unless you know both halves of the story. There were documented instances before the World Cup that suggested that Ronaldo and Hector Cuper had a strained relationship, which seems to be Ronaldo's primary reason for leaving. However, he hasn't done himself any favors by commenting that "Inter has too many Argentinians" (not sure if thats word for word, but I remember reading about him saying something to that extent on soccerage.) Still, he has expressed interest in returning to Milan now that Cuper has been replaced by Zacceroni, and if Madrid winds up buying Michael Owen as rumors suggest, he might not have a choice.

15. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of the most incorrect contradictory posts I have seen in a while :rolleyes: First you say Inter helped contribute to his injuries for playing him too much. Then you criticize Inter for not playing him too much after his injuries. I'm confused. The facts are Ronaldo did not play for Inter for almost 2 years and Moratti could have gotten rid of him and his huge salray to many teams who were willing to take a chance. Ronaldo was also on a huge wage bill and was not playing at all. He obviously doesn't have as much class as Redondo who asked not to be paid when he was injured at Milan. Before the 2001/02 season Brazil asked Inter to do whatever possible for Ronaldo to be ready for the 2002 WC. And Cuper obliged only playing Ronaldo sparingly. And by the end of the season Ronaldo finally was almost 100%. After his great WC Inter fans were thrilled at the possibility to finally see Vieri and Ronaldo play together. And Ronaldo says he wants to leave and play for Real because he says he deserves to play for the best team in the world. Obviously this shows he can't win by himself or doesn't have the confidence enough to think he can help Inter win. IMO, this shows that he has no character. Once it was evident that it wasn't going to be easy to win with Inter he ran away to Spain to win some trophies. Whereas, a player like Shevchenko has said that he wouldn't leave Milan until they won a major trophy. Sheva has character and respect for his supporters. Ronaldo doesn't. That's why I hate him. And I'm a Milan supporter who you would think be thrilled with Ronaldo leaving Inter.

16. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil

You get angry easy.

Facts are different from beliefs and opinions. Sometimes we jump to the wrong conclusion because the facts are different from what we perceive them to be.

"Ronaldo leaves Inter and goes to Madri" forms a part of a chain of facts intimately connected so that in order to interpret its general parts, the whole must be heard.

Altough I must confess that I don´t know what is the point in hating someone who will ever know of your existence, if you "hate" Ronaldo, basically it is a pointless discussion, and there really is no benefit that I can see to it.

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I love Ronaldo.

There will always be those that hate greatness and quality. For God's sake, just read some of the hostile stupidity written about Pele on these boards. It never fails to astonish me.

18. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    yep, Im a bianconeri fan and I felt sick when he said he wanted some trophies.

BTW neovox, its true that fat bastard will never know about my existance but that wont stop me to hate him anyway, that's a weak argument to end the discussion!

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont hate ronaldo, however i dont really like the chap, first of all the media claims he is god with cleats and that is annoying.

Secondly, he thinks he is god with cleats, which should go away when you suffer bouts of poor form but no...

Also the damn haircut, what the heck was he thinking???

But what really gets me is the fact that he is too often called the greatest, he is not the greatest now, and certainly is not the greatest of all time... yes when he was around 20 he was at the top of the world but those days have since gone... he is great but not the greatest.. i want Schevchenko and Raul to get some more damn recognition cuz they are both better than him, without the bloody attitude, no posing while shooting, no stupid haircuts, no selfish play or behavior... In fact, Schevchenko is playing second fiddle to Inzhagi at times despite being better because it benifits the team and Raul has now deffered to Ronaldo who still manages to bitch about being subbed out, the fat tub of lard!!! Its Raul's damn team and he was kind enough to share the limelight and all he can do is complain...

20. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you Ronaldo bashers are completely high. He is bar none the best striker in the world over the last decade. Just watch the last World Cup to see what class this guy is in. He can act like God because when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net, he is God. I don't think a single one of you Ronaldo bashers would be all that upset if he magically switched nationalities and was going to be starting up top for your side of preference.

21. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    The Chad women's team needs no help from no-one.

22. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ha Ha ya sure, Real Madrid is going to replace they're best striker, the curent top goalscorer in La liga with Owen ??????? That will be the day :)

23. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hehe funny guy
    ''Michael Owen will replace Ronaldo in Real Madrid''
    The Sun

24. BreakyoSelf

BreakyoSelf New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    which bouts of poor form are you talking about?? you mean the 3 games he didn't score recently and then shut everyone up with 2 wondergoals and assist to figo in the next game? No other player in the world gets hounded so much when he doesn't score in a game. everyone has dips in form... Maradona, Pele, everybody.... just look at Zidane this season.

Think whatever you want about Raul and Shevy, they are great... but what attitude are you talking about? Ronaldo never fakes being hurt, doesn't run to the sidelines pumping his chest when he scores but runs to thank the person who supplied him with the pass. He always says how good such and such player is. Also, where is the selfish play? I've seldom seen him carry the ball when there is a better option available, so much so that he has more assists than Raul this season.

Ronaldo didn't exactly bitch about being subbed out.... the press ASKED him if he minded being taken out so often and he said that of course like any player, he would like to finish the whole 90 mins as he didn't feel tired. He was subbed 9 out of the first 11 game in RM, if you were one of the top players in the world, if not THE top, wouldn't you be confused why they sub you out all the time? Meanwhile Raul, although one of my favorites, has been sucking a royal lemon blowing chance after easy chance, blasting balls high and wide yet is never subbed. (my complaint, not Ronaldo's)

About the haircuts... what do you care? are you going to suck him off after the game or something... yeah stupid haircuts, big teeth, get over it, he's a football player, not a model.

25. KrystianR9

KrystianR9 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    pretty old thread but i still will answer.

At this point Ronaldo has been injured second time in madrid. now hes back but not fully recovered. I love this guy and no matter what i always will. the only thing i wish he could do for me is lose some weight to not look chubby. hope he does that b4 next season.