Why the Republicans shouldn't use new media

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, the gut feeling is right. That image is racist.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's not about my opinion. In America, that's racist. And you know it.

You're just trying to bullshit things now because you don't want to admit that you wrote something profoundly stupid.

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You know, I generally hate it when people say "Let's just agree to disagree", but hey, let's just agree to disagree. Many people apply cultural context and history and conclude that Photoshopping Obama to look like an African witch doctor is racist. Some people, like, minerva, don't, while some think it's frickin' high-larious. I say that's fine.

All expression is ultimately in the eye of the beholder, and minerva is simply one of those who don't see the image as racist. That's cool. He's one of those people. I'm cool with that, and I'm sure minerva is cool with being one of those people.

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hold on now.
    I NEVER actually said that I thought it wasn't racist.
    you guys are so emotionally involved here, you failed to realize that I never actually said what I thought.
    I simply asked the question, why is that pic racist, and asked those who thought it was racist to think critically and support their opinion with something that resembled rational thought.
    Knave, do you realize that even your statement that in America that's racist isn't even entirely true??
    not all Americans think that's racist. maybe a plurality would think so, but I bet that not even a majority would think so. you're simply projection your own opinions on the rest of us Americans.
    it's fine to have an opinion.
    it's fine to have an opinion based on a subjective perception of culture and society.
    it's even finer to have an opinion that's based on facts and reason.

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But have you really examined why you think this is so?

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You should stop bullshitting. You're terrible at it. Completely transparent. The implication and basis of your question were perfectly obvious.

7. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude, how subjective can you be???
    now you claim to know the basis and implications of my question?
    are you sure the implications and basis you're reading into my question are not simply your own projections?
    you just gave yourself away because you got a little emotional, and now you're trying to cover it up by saying I'm bullshitting.
    I am not.
    I have still to hear a rational objective argument to support the purported racist nature of that pic.

8. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tell you what, minerva. Go ahead and get that picture silkscreened onto a t-shirt and then take a stroll through Harlem. It was nice knowing you.

9. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, I grew up in NYC.
    I may have an argumentative bent, but I'm not insane.
    like I said, most people will probably think it's racist at first blush, and that's why it's stupid for the GOP to be associated with it.
    I was trying to get to something beyond the practical realities of it and see if people can become emotionally detached and try to objectively examine their own thoughts and feelings.
    in my mind, just because 50 people think it's racist does not make them right.
    it is still just one opinion, even if 50 people hold it.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No you were not. You were being a troll. Now you're trying to justify your stupidity. I can only hope you're doing that out of embarrassment.

11. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    once again, you claim to know the reason why or what another person is doing.
    and apparently you seem completely unaware of your own subjectivity in it.
    if I was being a troll, I would admit it, and wouldn't apologize for it.
    I was entertained by this thread, and for me, that's all that counts.
    if other people got something of value out of it, good for them.
    if all they got was that I am stupid, a troll, a racist, etc., too bad. not my loss.

edit: btw, being a troll is not the same thing as stupidity. though stupid people probably can't tell the difference. just fyi.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This forum really doesn't work this way - if you are deemed to be trolling we take away your access. Thanks.

13. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks DK. I guess I didn't realize that the forum wasn't meant for entertainment purposes.
    I enjoy debating ideas and challenging conventions.
    I don't mind having my ideas challenged, and I love challenging other people's ideas.
    sorry. I didn't realize this was not the place for it.
    please see "newbie" status.

14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I never said it wasn't for entertainment purposes - just that we all have to play in the same sandbox.

15. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IOW, don't be the kid that shits in the sandbox. DON'T BE THAT GUY.

16. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the question, "why is that picture racist" is such a bad one, in a philosophical sense. It is good to examine why the immediate reaction is, "that is a racist photo."

In short, it is a racist photo because it reinforces several hundred years of scientific and cultural norms which stated that people of color from Africa are less intelligent, civilized, and cultured than their white counterparts. This history is especially part of American culture, in that slaves could not be taught to read, could not be expected to take care of themselves, etc. In many ways, this was a justification of slavery.

The instant reaction to this photo is that today, it is ok to present the President of the United States of America, a Harvard law school graduate, a man at the pinnacle of his political career, can be taunted by underachieving white politicians as being an uncivilized witch doctor. It is the exact definition of racism - "the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races."

In short, this photo once again reflects the no-longer-subtle view of white republicans that the members of their race are intrinsically superior to that crazy uncivilized black President and his primitive health plan.

Also, according to the US Census, 44% of those under 18 are Caucasion. While we may not *yet* be a minority-majority country, it is just a matter of time.

2 people repped this.
  17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I thought it was a good question. I was a bit surprised (and/or interested) at some of the answers, or lack thereof.

I'm always interested in people's views on why/how they present opinions as facts.

18. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    funny thing is that most people can pick up on it when other people present opinions as facts - Bill O'Reilly is notorious for it. but when they're the ones doing it - well, to even question the validity of it is just ridiculous and means that you're stupid.

19. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any relevant response to MattR's post? I think he pretty well explained it.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We both know the answer. That's why my screen gives me the happy phrase, "This message is hidden because minerva is on your ignore list. "

21. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    An excellent response which I'm also employing.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignore lists are for **************.

23. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's like the birthers. The more counterevidence you present, the more they believe the alternate reality.

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sky is only blue because we perceive it to be blue. To someone colorblind, the sky might appear gray.

25. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what would you care either way wanker, since you have me on ignore?
    funny thing is that you for some reason feel the need to keep pointing out to everyone that you have me on ignore.
    nobody cares. too bad you have such low self confidence.