Why the Republicans shouldn't use new media

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In its Constitution, Texas reserves the right to divide itself into five states

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was thinking more along the lines of DC PR VI and AS

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of, but no.

In theory any state can divide it self into multiple parts and apply to become a new state, congress has to approve.

So Texas is no different.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-great-divide/

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May God have mercy on your soul.

roby repped this.
  5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here she is again. Greene's tweet comes after Jenner was harassed by an attendee at CPAC.

A video that shows her insulting Jenner and calling her a "sick freak" went viral online.

Tomi Lauren defended her and got a taste of her own medicine as she was reminded of her past tweets. LOL

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I hate when you get confused over who you are supposed to be prejudiced against. ;)

rslfanboy, xtomx, Dr. Wankler and 3 others repped this.
  7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we lock this thread until there's an example of a Republican suffering any consequences whatsoever for their stupid social media posts

fatbastard repped this.
  8. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

ElNaranja, dapip, Cris 09 and 5 others repped this.
  9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sooo, won't go to war for the safety of the Capitol Police but it's a def yes for Chik fill A...in a state, that is not even his state.

dapip repped this.
  10. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It has to be the most banal set of principles I've ever heard of one willing to go to war for.
    It's up there with 54-40 or fight.

It just gets those patriotic juices flowing.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's Chik-Fil-A's marinade of choice. That and "liberal tears."

dapip, song219 and russ repped this.
  12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been following the Notre Dame Chick-Fil-A saga, but I thought that since Notre Dame was Catholic, they would be all over a company that supports performative political stances. I bet Chick-Fil-A is opposed to abortion, for example. But I guess it's the LBGTQ thing that has a subset of Notre Dame students protesting? Aren't they outnumbered by Notre Dame students who are Catholic and therefore don't give a shit about LGBTQ people?

But anyways, I was looking at Notre Dame's response where they said that they're going to allow the Chick-Fil-A on campus. Part of the statement was the following:

• Current popular concepts Modern Market, Starbucks, Au Bon Pain (ABP), Garbanzo, and Taco Bell will remain core components of the campus dining experience.

Is this a thing now? Universities are partnering with fast food chains or fast casual restaurants to provide meals for their students? Is this common? Back in my day, we ate at the dining hall - there was one for freshmen and then one in each "residential college" (dorm / house) for the upperclassmen. You could go and eat with a friend in their college but you'd have to show your dining plan card so their college could get paid by your college. And there wasn't any third party running the dining halls.

Now, Notre Dame has deals with Taco Bell and Chick-Fil-A? Is this normal? It sounds like something out of Idiocracy to me. I'm wondering if this is a sign of the increasing corporate influence on our culture which I wasn't paying enough attention to.

russ repped this.
  13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    How sure are you of that? In the 70's my school had dining halls too; the independent ones were in fact operated by a third party corporation, even though most of the students did not realize that... one outfit lost their contract with the school-- not for quality (which sucked,) but for going over budget and needing a bailout from the school-- after freshman year, and the next one was much worse...

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I teach at a small Catholc college that has an active LGBTQ community. I don't get the feeling that most of the rest of the student body doesn't give a shit about them. If that was the case, I suspect the active and open LGBTQ students and their allies would speak up or leave, or both.

And at from what the people I know who teach at Notre Dame tell me, most of the students ate more readily defined by their upper middle class (and hopefully rising) suburban ambitions than by anything recognizable as a religious practice.

Which, incidentally, goes a long way toward explaining why the student dining experience is so much different today than when you or I were in college: a consumerist ideology drives pretty much everything.

15. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    1415837718618296320 is not a valid tweet id

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If you are on the Chic-Fil-A meal plan you get to fast every Sunday.

dapip repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dapip repped this.
  18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My alma mater had a Chick-Fil-A in the dining area. Granted it wasn't a full on Chick-Fil-A but still. Also had a partial Zoup in our dining area along with a 2nd rate pizza chain. All of this was in the student center as I didn't live in the dorms.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pretty much this. My mother briefly considered sending me to Notre Dame Prep, and I never got the reason why (Part of me at 13/14 was a militant atheist). I do know that one of the reasons was prestige and the fact that she too was Catholic educated.

Though I was talking to a family friend that briefly considered sending her child to a Catholic prep school, she backed out when one of the school's parents made a comment about her child meeting "the right people."

Although if I had choice in the matter, I'd have insisted on a Jesuit education at least.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The people I know who went to Notre Dame are from famlies that identified as Catholic, but weren't necessarily religious. They chose Notre Dame over similalry prestigious universities for cultural reasons.

21. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    During my bachelor's and Master's meals were covered by restaurant partners. At two different schools. So...yeah. Anything to cut costs and bring in more money.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all started with the vending machine contracts and increased from there

bigredfutbol, dapip, Mike03 and 2 others repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dapip and usscouse repped this.
  24. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Another useless piece of shit. She had it right.

dapip and Ashur repped this.
  25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    My Father in law, a lean lanky logger from Coos Bay Oregon with no religious affiliation, went to ND in the 30s. Got himself a basketball and football scholarship.

Different I know but I had to get it in :)

russ repped this.