Why the Republicans shouldn't use new media

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    But first get him away from the fireplace...

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    #3927 sitruc, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    I hope understanding why this happened unravels a lot of things.

The account only had 46 tweets and 3 followers and 2 were private accounts. The first looks like it was a Brazilian BTS account/potential bot that went inactive a few times yet links to a George Floyd change.org petition in recent days.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: Her news signs say "Protect Trump"...

Sweet Jesus Lady - If Trumpy need some backwater right wing post menopausal Karen to protect him - he's ********ed

4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Anybody "enjoy" watching Tom "send out the military against US citizens" Cotton DEFEND Alexander Katai in the Senate yesterday?

Of course, Cotton managed to get his facts wrong.

I am/was one of the biggest Katai fan in MLS but, really, he and his wife can f*ck off back to Serbia at this point.

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I don't even know if firing someone over a wife's action is legal.

I am clearly not a lawyer, but the Galaxy dropped the ball and took the cowardly way out on this one.
    They simply didn't to deal with irrational fans on road games holding up nonsensical "Galaxy= racists" signs. Katai doesn't have control over the wife's instagram, nor is he responsible for it. End of story.

He denounced his wifes actions, and now CJ is complaining he didn't get the ball enough when Katai was on the field.

Its downright silly.

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was a normal at-will employee like most people are, he could be fired for pretty much any reason not relating to race, religion, or sex. Given that he's a professional athlete, his employment was contractual, so it just depends on what the contract said as to whether it was legal to terminate him.

7. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Interesting. I was always under the impression firing people was difficult (and a pain in the ass) for legal reasons, as a valid reason needed to be given. Not just a "you aren't a good fit." Again, I don't know these things from a legal perspective, so thanks.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is probably getting paid for the season, but future options will be declined.

9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #3934 xtomx, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    He was NOT fired. His contract was terminated by mutual consent.

That means he agreed to leave.

His situation would have been untenable once the season started up again.

Far from cowardly, it made sense to both parties.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It most states, it's quite easy -- again, as long as the firing wasn't related to race, sex, religion, and age or disability are two others I neglected to mention in my initial response which have some federal protection. I'm fairly certain most states are now considered (ironically) right-to-work states, where you can be fired for almost any reason as long as your employment isn't contractual in some way, e.g., a union contract, etc.

Cascarino's Pizzeria and xtomx repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had to bump, because last night.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.hattiesburgamerican.com...er-accused-making-racist-comments/3280055001/

"A social media comment with racial undertones made by a Mississippi election commissioner sparked outrage across the state on the same weekend state legislators voted to retire the flag and its Confederate emblem.

"I'm concerned about voter registration in Mississippi," the commissioner wrote. "The blacks are having lots (of) events for voter registration. People in Mississippi have to get involved, too.""

Undertones, huh?

More from the article.

You may not know, Senator. But I do.

Facebook reactions

https://www.facebook.com/discoverstory/posts/10220941543984261

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not stupidity.It's racism and belief in white supremacy.It's bad but not stupid.

14. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but you ask any Republican point-blank, and they'll tell you they aren't racist at all (but they do say they are proud of their white heritage).

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/media/tucker-carlson-writer-blake-neff/index.html

"The top writer for Fox News host Tucker Carlson has for years been using a pseudonym to post bigoted remarks on an online forum that is a hotbed for racist, sexist, and other offensive content, CNN Business learned this week."

sitruc repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    World RIvalries?

fatbastard and crazypete13 repped this.
  17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    “I’m concerned about voter registration in Mississippi," the commissioner wrote. "The blacks are having lots (of) events for voter registration. People in Mississippi have to get involved, too.""

Did he just say blacks aren’t people? Or is that just the way they talk there?

xtomx, sitruc and Boandlkramer repped this.
  18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and yes.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't put this in the BLM thread because it's merely an example. The real issue is the state of social-media discussions -

Things were much better when political discussions were face to face. There are of course jerks, but most people will make an effort to listen under such a situation. Talking isn't necessarily a waste of time. But man, it's tough to have good-faith disagreements on social media. It's better here than with Twitter, to be sure, but we still struggle to do so here.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the people who talk on social media the most would never dare to say what they say to a real persons face.

Unless they were planning violence and attempting to provoke a response.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That should always be the rule of thumb on the internet--never say something online that you wouldn't say in person.

I always tell my 13-year-old daughter that when she and some of her friends get embroiled in online drama and someone says something out of line... Somehow, that doesn't always work.

22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think of a clip of the UK House of Commons Speaker, John Bercow chewing out a colleague for similar behavior, pointing out that at their kids school he's on his best behavior.

soccernutter repped this.
  23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The RNC rapid response director posted then deleted this

[​IMG]

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Boy, if there were ever a picture to get Joe Biden elected, that would be it.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Has anyone ever seen Trump displaying any kind of affection for his kids?

I remember he was interviewed by Howard Stern a few years back (pre campaigning). Ivanka was there too. Stern asked "What interests do you two have in common?" In a flash Trump says "Sex" to the obvious embarrassment of his daughter. Father of The Year candidate, right there.