Why the Metros don't Play West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metx, Jul 3, 2005.

1. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004
  2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Perhaps you meant to ask, "Why don't the Metros play WBA?"
    WBA apparently planned a 9-day trip to LA, including games against both local sides. After being dumped by the Galaxy for Real Madrid, WBA has cancelled the entire tour. I don't think they would have considered a short substitute trip to NYC.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209744
    Thread contains a lot of complaints from both camps about the LAG front office, along with the usual exchange of insults.
    also: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207449

3. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad that AEG couldn't work out a deal where Metro could play a two game series against West Brom instead. After all, they really did screw West Brom over and Metro would give them a good fight and give them the chance for revenue. I bet the deal wasn't made because of the rental costs for Giants Stadium being so prohibitive.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

We don't want to embarrass them. They got overinflated egos over there in England.

5. MetroSexual

MetroSexual New Member

May 23, 2005
    PA
    It's a shame we couldn't get something like that for the Metros. The reason is that right now I feel we could get a good judge of how this team would fare in the "big picture" by playing a premiership team. West Brom is not necessarily a better team than us by much, and it would be entertaining and draw english supporters too I think. Just my opinion.

6. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we could take West Brom. We are stronger than most people think. Of course, we have a lot of injuries right now, though, which would make things more interesting.

7. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but what's to say we don't field a team consisting almost entirely of reserves (like we did against rochester last week) ?

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  9. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, WBA isn't the strongest EPL squad, which is why AEG jumped at the chance to replace them with Real Madrid, but they would still be competitive against an MLS squad. That's why I think it would be a good idea to have them do a two game goals aggregate series with MetroStars. I'd definitely pay to see both games in a series like that.

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    The problem is that 20,000 other people won't join you.

11. jolysaddler

jolysaddler New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Walsall, England
    is that a joke? we certainly are very proud of having the best football league in the world as it is the only good sporting thing we have over here!

And in response to the other posts about Metro's maybe being able to take west brom, i would find that extremely doubtful. having watched english football for a whole season and then the MLS for quite a few games I am confident that most league one teams would beat any MLS team. purely by being organised on the pitch more than anything.

Please dont think that this is a slight against the metrostars as I do consider myself a fan and will definitely be supporting Metro's from afar and when I return to the US, I just think maybe irishapple and sybing need to read Jbigjakes post!

12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Look who's back!
    Any thoughts on a Metros-Walsall match?
    http://soccer-stats.football365.com/2005/ENG/teams/Walsall.html

13. HotAssAlex

HotAssAlex New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Staten Island, NY
    they could of come to NYC and play us and NE...its only 4 hour trip or so

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, Metro vs. AC Milan on a weeknight drew what, 7000 a few years ago? (we drew, Tab scored) Metro vs. Boca drew so few that you could have counted everyone in the house by the 20th minute - and outside of 101, it was ALL blue and yellow.

I can confidently state that, unless there's some huge recent Midlands emigrant community I don't know about in the hills of Central Jersey or something, a Metro vs. WBA match would draw in the dozens. Counting the gate staff and players.

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yeah, but if we won, it would prove our legitimacy to the entire soccer world.

(kidding).

BTW, was anyone at the Metro v. Deportivo Italchacao game in like 2001? The reported att. was ~ 1200, but it was closer to 174. That was comedy.

I think the point is that we should be getting a chance to play in these games every once in a while, instead of just watching them go to other teams. Not because it will draw well, not because it will "mean" something, but because it's fun. Fun for the fans, maybe fun for the players, who knows.

Short story: A metro fan was in Amsterdam a month or so ago and met a Bayern Munich fan in a bar. They started talking football, and the Metro fan mentioned beating them 2-0 after they'd won the champions league. The Bayern fan gave him the finger & walked away.

That game didn't mean anything either, it didn't draw well, but it was fun. Or, at least it gave us a mildly funny 15 second story.

I don't really care about West Brom, nor do I have any illusions about us being an EPL side. We're not. And, even if we were, who cares? We don't play in the EPL anyway.

Let's win a trophy first and then worry about getting out the ruler & measure our units against the world. But, I don't mind us having some fun along the way. Even if it's Burnley, it would be nice to have a game once every year, instead of once every 4 years.

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

:rolleyes: Sad. It's just sad. If you really are unsure and have to ask, please don't ask at all.

17. jolysaddler

jolysaddler New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Walsall, England
    where the hell have you appeared from and why are you being such an arse?

18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    as a condition of his parole he is required to live in Japan.

19. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Committed assault and battery on those who possessed no sense of humor. <-- this means you, jolysaddler

20. jolysaddler

jolysaddler New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Walsall, England
    i fail to see how me not liking being called arrogant ties in with having a sense of humour or not :confused:

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

You're still going with this? :shrugs:

22. jolysaddler

jolysaddler New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Walsall, England
    well we'll forget it then. i just wondered why you called the English arrogant, simple.

23. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Those games didn't have a big turn out because I'm sure the fans of those teams figured that they wouldn't bring the top stars, which they didn't. When AC Milan plays at Giants Stadium against another team, they always have a large crowd.