Why the Hell Do We Need This Forum?

Discussion in '"US Supporters" Supporters Club' started by nancyb, Jun 28, 2004.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean really. Are two or three posts a week on US Men and Fans and Travel too much to handle?

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

If there's a board for these people there should be one for the real supporters groups like Sam's Army.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sammers could have one if they asked, I'm sure.

The reason there's a forum is that several people involved in the resurrection of the US Supporters website thought it was a good idea during our brainstorming session and Huss didn't disagree.

As to whether the traffic in other areas is too much or too little was not really part of our thinking, it was about having a place for us that was part of bigsoccer. Bigsoccer is where we are.

4. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but the more the board is fragmented, the more separated you become and the more work it takes to find info. So, here's question. If there's a qualifier and SA is having a get together the night before, does the info go here or fans and travel?

5. Two Beasleys

Two Beasleys BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 30, 2003
    Washington. DC

As one of the ressurrectors, I think it's important to note that this is not some alternative entity to SA. Our hope was to create a place where people could find all the info they wanted. it's in the embryonic stages right now. As far as I know, SA supports the US, so that would make them US Supporters right?

People, get over the entity.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume that goes on their website.

If it's a Sammers event open only to Sammers, then it goes through Sammers channels.

Since I'm not a member of Sams Army, it's not my problem.

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Liam's message about stuff in Chicago has nothing to do with fans traveling to Chicago, but does have something to do with US Supporters? Ok, whatever.

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, are you saying this is for people who don't belong to SA? I don't, so I guess I'm allowed here. But really, what's the point? I must be dense.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not talk about Liam.

People are free to post whatever they want here. If the Sammers or their lackies want to post promos here, let them. If not, don't.

10. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then, why is it needed? What's wrong with Fans and Travel?

[Edit] - I'm going to open this question on Suggestions and Announcements.

11. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    [​IMG]

We're the People's Front of Judea.

12. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    It's awesome that the 478 US Soccer fans need to form cliques of a couple dozen then bicker over turf. Awesome.

13. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *shrug*

I don't know. I have no problem with the Sammers doing whatever they want.

I'm at a loss about NancyB's problem here. If NancyB isn't a Sammer, why would NancyB care about where something promoting a Sammer event is posted? Seems to me, that's not my problem, nor apparently is it NancyB's problem, so that's for Sammers to worry about, not me.

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think her question is that, since the Fans & Travel board exists for discussions related to tickets, travel, fan get-togethers, and in-stadium issues, and is open to whatever people want to post there, whether they be part of some organized group or just folks who want to go tot the game, why does there need to be another forum where the exact same things will be discussed?

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. When I saw this, I had no clue it was supposed to be for a particular group of US Supporters. Is it? I'm still not sure. If it is, those folks should have their own web site. Otherwise, can I get my own Justin Timberlake fan club forum opened? I don't feel like dealing with Yahoo for that.

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're the Judean People's Front, I tell you!

17. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you are very mistaken.

I don't have a beef with the Sammers.

There are people who do, who are part of "US/A Supporters," but I am not one of them. I don't like the way they do some things, but that's their issue, not mine, they are an independent organization and are entitled to do things the way they want. The only thing that is up to me is whether I choose to be part of it or not.

The original post was entitled "Why the Hell Do We Need This Forum?" with body text "I mean really. Are two or three posts a week on US Men and Fans and Travel too much to handle?"

Is that trolling or not?

Personally, when someone asks me why the hell something exists that I helped put together, that gets me kind of annoyed (would you be pissed if someone said that your kid was puny, ugly, and would be better off as a Siamese Twin? or would you just be wondering what the ******** they're talking about?), and from the content and tone of the post, it sounded like a blatant put down of the size and existence of the group.

The only extrapolation on this that we get from NancyB is "yeah, but the more the board is fragmented, the more separated you become and the more work it takes to find info. So, here's question. If there's a qualifier and SA is having a get together the night before, does the info go here or fans and travel?"

This is just blatant ass covering for a troll post. Where does the info go? The info goes wherever the organization promoting the event decides that the information should go. It's that organization's problem to communicate with it's membership. It is not the job of individuals to know where to go to get a message, it is the organization's job to get the message out.

1. Why does the forum exist?

The forum exists because some people decided to get the USA Supporters website back up in time for the qualifiers and they asked me to help them. One of the items disussed during our brainstorming session was whether we should have boards on the site. It was decided that policing and establishing boards was going to be a pain in the ass and there were lots of people on BS already anyway, so we should just ask BS to set up a board for us.

2. Why does US/A supporters exist?

Because some guy in New York doesn't like the Sammers, and other people who were frustrated with the organizational aspects of the Sammers joined him. Other people who just liked the grass-roots ideals of the group joined up later.

3. Why am I involved?

Beats the ******** out of me. Personally, I don't give a ******** how fan activities are run. I think it's wrong for Mark to rule the Sammers with an iron fist since it's clearly grown well beyond his original intent. I think the USA Supporters thing was more or less over before it began. It was a nice talk shop for a while, but the list has been dead a long time. It's just another place where people post inane questions about how to get tickets to the next game, or the same cookie-cutter spam posts that show up everywhere show up.

Ultimately, I'm involved because people that I know and like asked me to do some things and I did it.

I'm still involved because I feel a loyalty to things that I do, although IMHO this is rapidly turning into just another stupid trollbaiting game which is in large part what BS is all about these days.

4. Why isn't there a website?

There is a website, as is indicated in the sticky FAQ thread at the top of the forum.

5. What is this forum for?

This forum is for ideological and implementational discussion of issues related to supporting the US national team, primarily from the perspective of the US/A Supporters fan group.

6. Why don't the Sammers have a subforum in Fans and Travel?

Because they didn't ask.

7. Why is this a subforum of Fans & Travel?

Because we're Fans of the National Team, and we Travel to Games.

8. Why is there a split between US/A Supporters and Sams Army?

Damned if I know. I didn't start it, and I've never been a Sammer. Ask someone who knows, like BigDog.

This is my final post on the subject. I've done what I was asked, and I don't expect that I'll be defending this forum anymore, since it's a pointless argument to me.

18. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    who is this Goodwin dude?

19. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeremy - I had no idea I was insulting your, whatever. I thought this was a place for general US Supporters that was separate from Fans and Travel and I didn't see the point.

To be honest, this forum came across as as one of those unilateral actions that the Admin of the board tends to do with no notice, request for feedback, etc. I still don't understand the need and I disagree completely with the philosophy. If folks can't get along with the community as a whole, they should not be given their own public forum.

I strongly and have always believed that the ever fragmenting nature of Big Soccer detracts from the overall community and communication on the board. This has been my position since the US board was split up. It decreases my enjoyment. I know many others disagree with me, but I strongly believe this is a bad idea.

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    This board does seem a bit redundant.

And repetitive.

And redundant.

And unnecessary.

And repetitive.

Did I mention that it's redundant?

21. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    hey goodwin...whoever you are. I asked a seroius question. and you come in an neg rep me for that? nancy is 100% right. there is NO need for this forum.

that would be like me asking for an "English based YA" board under YA or a "Landon Donovan is hot - TEE HEE" board under the Smurfs board.

it's redundant.

Your negative rep didnt have the desired effect now, did it chief? the dogs have been called out.

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    this bears repeating...

23. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

24. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Uh huh

25. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I still haven't clearly figured out what this sub-forum for another sub-forum is for.