Why the hate against Beckham and not against Donovan?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dathay, Mar 2, 2009.

1. forzagalaxy

forzagalaxy Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Austin, azTeX/SB, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Have you people all seriously forgot what happened??!?

Even before last season ended Beckham had engineered this move to Milan. He did not discuss it with the team or even have the decency to wait for the season to be over, he came out in the news and announced that he wanted to go out on loan. Horribly disrespectful to the team and the fans.

Then he arrived in Italy said how much he loved it in Italy and how he wanted to stay, then attempted to force the hand of the Galaxy. Never apologizing or addressing the Galaxy fans. He's a selfish man. He's a prick.

...aaaand Beckham didn't score 20 goals last year.

2. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT??!!?? Beckham would NEVER do that!!!

[​IMG]

3. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jones, yours is a candidate for one of the most rock-solid stupid posts I've ever read on BS. Congratulations.

Look, Landon has shown more dedication and loyalty to his team and MLS than just about any major player the league has ever had. He has worn his caring for the team openly and consistently, and never in his attempts to aim for a move to Europe has been less than honest or classy. If he says he will wait to 2010 and will focus on the team's success this year, you can count on his word.

David has been feckless and disdainful almost from the moment his plane landed in California. He arrived crippled [which happens] and instead of getting to know his new team-mates and engaging in preparations for his career in LA lying ahead-- he spent his time Cruising in Bellaire and getting to know the LA Lakers. He seemed, and clearly was, indifferent to the work needed to make his new side into a force in the league, indifferent to any form of bonding, immediately stopped playing all but the occasional pathetic lip service to his rhetoric of helping the league and the sport grow in this continent, and had even to be begged to come out from the dressing room for something as basic as watching the Galaxy play Pachuca in the overtime for the Superliga. All in the first year here, where one might expect any existing dedication to be the most obvious. Then he has his management team take over the decision as to who should manage the Galaxy last year, and they alight on ol' bud Ruud. For two months we finally see some effort, and even glimpses of genuine talent, from David, even as Gullit proves to be as much of a head case as is Beckham. When the going got tough, and so Gullit got going, lo and behold so did Poutmeister Beckham; who proceeded to sleepwalk through the remainder of the season even as those around him--such as Donovan-- desperately tried to salvage it. Thus, after a 1&1/2 years over here, having achieved about 8 weeks of play worthy of his salary, it was understandable and very reasonable that it be expected of him to stop the whining, buckle down to preparing physically and mentally for this next season, and to finally show what he was made of.....And show us what he was made of he sure has! :rolleyes: He has shown himself as a Narcissistic gutless lying twit wrapped in the puffery of his management team and their Posh style. The "genuine article" turned out to be nothing but a conman through and through, and it is hard to think of anything he said or or claimed he would do, in his Yankee misadventure, which was the truth or which he made a serious attempt at doing.
    American vs Foreign? Bullshit. Try Mensch vs Schlemiel. :D

4. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol! rep

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't that the truth. Philosophically, I don't neg rep posters for sheer stupidity. First, because they can't help it. And, second, because there are not enough hours in the day to spend time doing that on BigSoccer.

But this bozo really tests my resolve.

6. Vios

Vios Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose I understand all of the hatred toward Beckham, especially if you are a loyal Galaxy fan - which I am not.

For me rooting for the Galaxy is all about rooting for American soccer. The aquisition of David Beckham made me into a reluctant Galaxy fan, because of the positive impact it would have on MLS and American soccer. In the end any publicity is good publicity - Beckham has been a success for American soccer as far as publicity goes.

I don't blame Beckham for making his move in order to try to get back into the England squad. I don't even blame him for using the media for getting what he wanted. He is a "player". He knew he would have to sacrifice respect from some of his fans (like Galaxy fans) to get what he wanted. He is incredibly shrewd and I respect him for that.

If Beckham manages to make a positive impression on the England squad then I can imagine that some English fans will be saying "Thank God Becks told those Hollywood wankers to piss off." -And they would be right if they were referring to Galaxy management.

Anyway, even if Donovan was a dick I would still support him, because I love to follow and support the U.S. Men's National Team. Coincidentally, he seems to be good guy who conducts himslef in a professional manner. (By the way who is the resident asshole on the MNT? I think we need one, just for the entertainment factor.)

The good news is that despite all of the other mistakes the Galaxy has made since the Beckham deal, at least (it seems) they have covered their ass financially and will get some money to spend out of this deal.

and

at least, there is the Bruce Arena show. The team as it stands now kinda sucks. I mean some positive change has happened but where are the fireworks? I am expecting a lot more from Bruce Arena and I think he expects a lot more from himself in terms of putting together an exciting and effective squad. I am watching and waiting.

7. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that too. I felt a bit stupider having read it.

And he did the same when he played for the Smurfs, which is why they loved him up there until he left. I hear they don't love him anymore. Not doing this all by itself though, that's not enough (in my mind) to provoke hating on someone who plays for a team I root for.

As far as I'm concerned, this is all a good thing. I like a little primadonna in players I root for. I like the swagger, the knowledge that "I'm better than you". Reggie Jackson was like this for four years on the Yankees. Came in on a white horse, ready to take the team to the next level. Clubhouse cancer, fought with the manager and his teammates, a primadonna's primadonna. But he delivered. And today he still gets cheers in the Bronx. If David had done this, the bards would be singing songs about him into the next century. Alas...

Yeah. This is why. 'Cause he sucks when it matters. He could have used that time in Milano to better prepare himself for March, but he didn't. And now he's going to be in a tough place indeed. No one wants him - not his own fans and not the opposing fans. He'll come back in July to a deafening yawn. And if the Galaxy is winning, he might not even see the field, unless there's some sort of contractual arrangement with ESPN/Fox/Herbalife/Whomever.

The Galaxy's east coast swing is after his return date. So he'll get some of the adoring crowds. But I doubt he'll get that many at the HDC. The ones who know better don't care, and the ones who would have come to see him a year ago have better things to do by now.

8. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see. Was the LAG management "wankers" because they overpaid Beckham? Because they released him for meaningless friendlies when they didn't have to? Or for not caving and selling him to ACM for a fraction of his value. Yeah, those are all good reasons for English fans to be angry about LAG management.:rolleyes:

Like we should worry what English fans think of our club or management. Don't know about you, but the opinion of English fans is pretty low on my list of concerns.

On the other hand, LAG FANS have a whole different list of somewhat more valid reasons.

9. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I was thinking it was our raison-d'etre as American soccer fans.

10. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon was LARS POTY (player of the year) the season before last. That takes some balls. Deal with it.

Don't doubt The Donovan.

Reverend Thomas Mack
    The Righteous Los Angeles Riot Squad

11. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego

when did he say this?

show me the quote...

when did he say he would save american soccer?

show me the promise...

12. cnami3

cnami3 New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a SI article back in 03' Grant Wahl had an interview with Sir Alex Ferguson about the Englishman. This is what Ferguson said:

"It's a long pause, one of those times when silence communicates more than words ever could. Suddenly you realize, in this fleeting moment, how deeply Ferguson longs for the schoolboy Beckham, for a simpler era, for a time when his star wasn't spending his free hours with Jean Paul Gaultier and the Naked Chef.

"...his life changed when he met his wife, really," Ferguson finally continues. "She's in pop, and David got another image. Arid he's developed this fashion thing." (He says "fashion thing" in the bewildered way you'd expect to hear from, say, Vince Lombardi.) "I saw his transition to a different person. So long as it doesn't affect his football side, it doesn't bother me at all." Clearly in the past three months Ferguson has decided: The glitz has indeed affected Beckham's football side. You can't escape the field.

Clearly his agenda right now is to play for England, and if it means it is going to cost of him a lot of money, he is willing to sacrifice it. It isn't a hard decision for him because beck's always said that it is country before the club. Capello influenced Becks to seek alternatives to play top flight football specifically Italy, England or Spain. Beckham could have shut up and honor his agreement and play until March 9, but the fact that he acted like a baby throughout this situation by going through the media and basically doing whatever he can to get what he wants out of MLS is what is drawing the ire of us, the Galaxy fans.

In the article here's the link if you guys are interested:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1029025/1/index.htm

There's a part where it talks about Beckham being like his mom, "an emotional person" who cries. Well I guess the screaming, kicking and crying in the end, he got what he wanted.

I really hope after WC2010, if England even makes it, MLS will not allow him to come back. We certainly don't need or want him as an ambassador for us, this league will continue on and one day we will compete against the top teams in the world. When that day comes, I don't know but as a die hard USMNT supporter, I am hoping that we make a lot of noise heading into South Africa and doing some serious damage once we get there.

USA REPRESENT!!! :D

13. primality

primality New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Rose Bowl
    Because it seems as if Beckham is backing down from a challenge and a commitment if he doesn't return to start the season. After two sub-par seasons, there is actually an opportunity for him to help turn us into a winner this year (if the front office steps it up). Instead he seems to prefer the easier road by playing with a team that doesn't even truly need him. They have enough superstars, especially with Gattuso returning and Gourcuff in the fold next season.

Testing the waters in England after this season would have been the more noble thing to do.

14. primality

primality New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Rose Bowl
    One more full season to give it a shot at changing the direction of the club would be the classy thing to do. He should have stated his commitment to this all along. Milan still would have made some type of bid. We should expect more from the biggest ambassador of the game.

15. ameylamps1

ameylamps1 New Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Becks has been to the MLS exactly what they wanted i.e he's raised the profile of the MLS world wide. i now see loads of different MLS shirts in the streets around the UK and there were none before that.
    The level of the league (MLS) is not great but that doesn't excuse half hearted performances regardless of how much a player earns.
    TBH he went through this stage at Madrid all I'd say is stick with him he'll come good if you get him back.
    Also Mrs Beckham went on the record some time ago during his Man Ure years stating that she'd love to live in Madrid, LA and Milan. Becks is starting to remind me of David Unsworth :D

16. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this latest story has any truth to it and I still have my doubts, then my fury towards the FO will be long. This would just prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was never about the football or the fans and if AEG is going to piss away the first half of the season just to wait for a non-impact (on the pitch) player to return, is just sad. Sad for the fans, the team, MLS and even Beckham.

It basically sends a clear message to your team and manager that "we don't support you! Good luck in the season and all, but we are more interested in selling shirts for 3 months". I hope this is not the case and that in reality AEG is simply just losing the battle in the press right now. I think that Milan is really trying to force our hand (and perhaps the player is, too)

As for Donovan, he has done all that he can in MLS. He has 3 championships and fulfilled his promise and quite frankly deserves some success at the next level. It would be a good thing for the USMT if he found a new home. I think he has made it clear that he wants to go and I certinly felt that he was playing for himself out there last season.

AEG needs to release a statement today on Beckham. The fans deserve a right to know what the truth is.

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something:

Now, you can argue semantics if you want, that he didn't say the exact words of "save American soccer"....

But this quote is basically saying that and I'm reading a promise in there.

Now Becks is saying "MLS is at least 10 years from being any good and I don't want any part of it."

That's why he gets our ire.

18. forzagalaxy

forzagalaxy Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Austin, azTeX/SB, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Also your lack of understanding could have something to do with the fact that you are half RSL fan and therefore half-stupid.

19. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    such profound logic....

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pegasus, this is the language that I was referring to in short-hand when I mentioned "save American soccer." It is absolutely true Becks never used those words. You got me there. Although I expect that nearly EVERYONE on the board knew what I was referencing, except you. But, you're right.

You want it clearer. OK. Becks undertook a challenging task: growing the popularity of US soccer. He said, I believe, that he saw it having the potential to be as big here as it is elsewhere in the world and he wanted to help it get there.

Now he is worming out of that commitment and is paying a huge premium out of his own pocket in order to walk away from that commitment. So, no more respect for Becks as a human being here. Yes, I respect his skills on the field. There is greatness there. Its just too bad he doesn't measure up to the standards of a human being with integrity, but I suppose his fans will forgive him for that because, after all, he can bend a free kick and that's more important in the grand scheme of things.

21. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    In the contract there were reportedly options for part ownership of a club and other MLS roles. So the capacity for involvement is not defined.

Mrs Pegasus and I have been married for 23 years...you've got to feel sorry for her...

one in 12 marriages fail in the first two years...

43% of marriages end in 15 years...65% of second marriages fail.

Maybe some reading this are divorced or seperated.

At the "courting" stage everybody sees a wonderful future, nobody goes into the relationship expecting it to fail. Then reality sets in and brings along with it the requirement to work and compromise, including overcome frustration.

I was reading Beckhams blog on his website last night, back in October he was still talking positive about LAG and the 09 season.

But I guess the situation has changed because of Milan.

So like the couple who need to part, perhaps LAG and Beckham need to.

I just wish we could retain some dignity and quit moaning like the ex-mother-in-law (I told you it would end in tears...he wasn't the right one for you...the promises he broke....etc)

It's time to take the higher road

agree an amicable settlement and move on......

It amazes me that the number of posters here that claim to be sick of the matter are the ones who continue to moan and post comments.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're not referring to me.

You simply asked for a quote and I gave one to you.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But to complete your analogy, bigsoccer is like the nagging mother-in-law who never goes away, never dies and never has a nice thing to say about you....

24. Vios

Vios Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could care less about English fans either.

The only thing I care about is the overall health of MLS and the future of American soccer. Which means I have to care about how the Galaxy extricates themselves from their failure to provide the right leadership/coach/general manager and squad to make the Beckham era a success. At least, they succeeded financially.

If LA did not look so bad for two years, maybe Capello would have accepted his level of play as adequate to get called up. Instead LA and MLS fell on their face. - Sure the salary cap and DP rules played into it, but MLS and Galaxy failed to put out a decent product. - yet still they made some money and wll get some more.

So in the end the stakeholders got together and played their hands and it got a little messy (all's fair in love and war and transfer talk). Beckham deserves all the hate he gets from the Galaxy fans, but by July the fans should be looking at a possible push for a trophy - not a demoralizing hate fest on their backstabbing golden boy.

25. dathay

dathay Member

Jul 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ROTFLMAO!!! How true!!!!