Why the drop in youth participation?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Scotty, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I've been reading up on how MLB is worried about the steady decline in the participation of youth baseball that's been taking place over the past 20 years or so.

Then I came across a piece that came out last month in the Wall Street Journal stating how, from 2000 to 2013, youth participation of soccer in the U.S. has dropped from 9.2 to 6.9 million:

[​IMG]

I was really surprised to see this, since I had been under the assumption that youth participation had been steadily rising since the '90s -- more or less like TV viewership and MLS attendances have. As for the explanation, this is what the article states:

Other popular sports, including soccer and basketball, have suffered as youth sports participation in general has declined and become more specialized. A pervasive emphasis on performance over mere fun and exercise has driven many children to focus exclusively on one sport from an early age, making it harder for all sports to attract casual participants.

But is there more to it than that? Any thoughts/ideas?

2. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at the numbers there is huge declines in almost every sport. Even Football which is probably our most popular sport only stayed on course with population growth. Why? What have we seen rise since the 90s? Technology. You don't need to 'play' sports with your hands and feet outside, you can just play it on the playstation.

I grew up in a small "Friday Night Lights"kinda town and we only had a HS of 600 kids. My graduating class had about 140 kids in it, so about 70 boys. We had maybe 10 kids play sports in college at some level including my buddy who was a D2 all-american in basketball and another friend who played football for the University of Illinois, and another friend was drafted by the Cubs. This is in a town of maybe 5000. ALL we did was play sports since we could walk. Every single day in the summer we were at the park from until midnight playing basketball or baseball. There was no internet, there was no distractions. There was nintendo but its nothing like PS4 online. Sports just got us all out of the house. Now, you can't get kids off their phones. My guess is that in 20 years it will even be worse. Because the kids who grew up playing fake sports on the PS4 will be having kids and they won't even be able to teach them how to kick/throw/hit a ball. At least not in real life.

3. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty sad. I remember my parents refused to buy my brother or I any video games. Then my grandparents went and ruined things by getting us a SNES when I was about 12. My time outside definitely dropped after that, but I still played on probably 3 or 4 sports teams a year. Even made us try out sports I had no real interest in like baseball and gymnastics.

jmplautz repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it has something to do with the rise of travel/select clubs (and yes, as a "soccer Dad" I helped feed the beast myself).

Youth sports have become more "select" and also more expensive. The more affordable rec leagues suffer from the implication that only kids who are either not good enough or too poor to play on "competitive" teams belong there.

There could likely be other factors--including more options for youth activities. I'll bet dance has gotten bigger in the past decade and a half, for example.

oknazevad, aetraxx7, Hararea and 5 others repped this.
  5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^this, but also there are factors like the economy tanking and families having people unemployed and finances messed up, housing bubble collapse, all kinds of economic factors that put a damper on parents enrolling their kids in extracurricular luxuries like sports, which can require money investment and lots of time as well. You see the decline across the board, with the exception of American football, which has enjoyed an explosion in the past decade thanks to fantasy football and taking an even larger part in mainstream culture/media.

aetraxx7, jmplautz and The One X repped this.
  6. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    There are probably many factors playing into this. One of which isn't as obvious is simply the population size. There are fewer youths today than there were in the 90's and 00's. There was a mini-baby boom in the late 70's to early 90's. 16 to 30 age group is larger than the 0 to 15. 16 is also about when a large chunk of kids drop out of sports because there are limited spots on high school teams. That certainly cannot explain the whole drop. The other explanations given certainly are part of why also.

QuietType, jmplautz and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multi-sport athletes used to be double- or triple-counted in participation numbers. There used to be a fair number in any given high school, even as recently as the late 90s, but I get the sense there are only a handful today.

russ repped this.
  8. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    There aren't as many because (at least with basketball and football) if you aren't 100% focused on that one sport (except for kickers) you get cut even if you are good enough to make the team, unless you are exceptional. One of my high school friends got cut from the basketball team because over the summer he put more effort into soccer even though he was more than good enough to make the basketball team.

aetraxx7 and jmplautz repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the data is available, but it would be interesting to see for each sport how many kids are only playing for free on a school team and how many are paying to play.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this kind of thing probably discourages kids from playing multiple sports even before high school. They seem to be choosing one sport to focus on at earlier and earlier ages, now often as you as 10.

oknazevad, marks7mb and bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. jatrain

jatrain Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Lack of pro/rel. Without a clear path to MLS the Greater Topeka YMCA Junior Kickers doesn't have an incentive to recruit the best players.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep--I remember a few years ago, my oldest nephew was pretty much turned away from club soccer at the age of 10 (or maybe even younger) because he'd committed the cardinal sin of focusing on Little League baseball up to that point.

It's not like that everywhere, but it's like that in far too many places.

jmplautz and The One X repped this.
  13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't poke the hornet's nest!

aetraxx7 repped this.
  14. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    It is like that in my neck of the woods as well. I know some excellent athletes that were told no because they would be "too far behind" skill wise. There are some people in charge of organizations that have lost the real goal of kids in athletics.

15. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    I can rep most of the comments thus far. A lot of reasons exist. Anecdotally, within my group of friends, most kids spend their free time playing video games. And most of my friends don't seem to care because it keeps their kids out of their hair. Also, a lot of kids lives are so over planned they don't have a lot of down time. They go from practice to games to tutoring to strength and conditioning class. Kids are being burnt out quickly because mom and dad want to make them the best.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. gswitatrophy

gswitatrophy Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Tillamook, Oregon
    I'm going to sound like I'm 100 years old (I'm 32), but cell phones and how immersive and good video games are is a big reason. I was just discussing this at work last week. I live and work in a resort community and at 1 pm in the middle of summer I did not see a single teen or tween or even kid for that matter. 15 years ago when I was a teen, I was either out there playing soccer (competitively), pickup basketball, causing some minor trouble, or trying to be the cool guy and get girls. It's all changed.

spatz repped this.
  17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the overplanning, there also isn't much time left for sports unless it's competitive. I'm pretty sure there are more competitive players than ever, but a lot fewer rec players.

I'd to add that kids are increasingly being told (quite accurately) that participation in extracurriculars doesn't count for much in college admissions, but that they have to excel in one of their extracurriculars. That means a lot of kids quit doing something as soon as it becomes clear they're not going to be the best at it.

aetraxx7 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    Ok but we need to see participation rates in FIFA video games first. I expect that's risen markedly between 2000 and 2013.

Once, it was important for kids to play soccer to become fans. Now, they're just as likely to become fans through games. It's all good. The trend is positive. Don't fret.

As far as creating world class players, that's a matter of youth development rather than sheer numbers alone. You don't need 10 million people to play to be top dog. A well trained 1-2 million is more than enough to rule the world.

aetraxx7 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    For the first part absolutely yes. My son loves Manchester City (not that I hold it against him) because of video games.

For the second part, I'd rather have a greater margin for error with more kids than less.

20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Also, the development of any kid is hugely dependent on having a concentration of players around him. They don't all need to be great, but they do need to want to play.

Elninho, mwulf67, jmplautz and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the only objective of kids playing sports were to create adult fans, I would agree with this, but I think there's more to it, particularly health issues.

22. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This definitely plays a role

Two sports that are missing from this infographic are hockey and lacrosse. Both have seen positive growth over the last decade, with lacrosse growing faster than anything. I'd wage a lot of former spring soccer and baseball kids (definitely a lot of baseball kids) are playing lacrosse these days.

This is the best Big Soccer post I've ever read. I cannot stop laughing.

I agree. We were always doing something physical. We lived on a flat dead end well off the main road. We'd be playing roller hockey, baseball, soccer, football, basketball, or even four square in the street all day all summer long.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point; I think you're probably right. Certainly tracks with my own observations here in the suburbs of northern VA.

24. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son was a multi-multi sports athlete (soccer, Football, baseball, swimming) usually playing two at once. If we would have let him he would have probably added hockey & lacrosse. When he was the only one of my children playing we pulled it off. Now - no chance. As his sisters began to play soccer and even dance, there just wasn't enough time for us to manage all the schedules and travel. And since he was pretty good (and so are his sisters) the pull to be on higher level teams which entails longer seasons and further travel, he had to trim it down. We told him to go with his passion which ended up being soccer. Which he effectively trains and plays year round now. We are/were as careful as we can be to manage his burnout. He made the choice and the cram packed schedule was wearing on him as much as us. Now a freshman in high school, he is dictating how much he trains outside of his club & high school teams. He is driving his development. As a parent (at least as a dad) we all would love our kids to be a professional athlete. But reality is we can't make it happen. It has to be the child who drives themselves, who has the passion and puts in the work.

So in mid 2000s he was in those #s of all those sports, but now only 1. And because life in general is so damn hectic, my other two children are only in one (although one did swim for 2 years). We couldn't fathom them doing another sport.

So I don;t think the overall # of athletes has shrunk - they are just specializing for lots of reasons.

Elninho and aetraxx7 repped this.
  25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd hazard that there are a lot more serious year-round specialized players then ever before. A lot of kids these days are dreaming to be in the FIFA video game.