Why still Chris Albright?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Captain10, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've seen Albright's play for several years and it is serviceable at best, and severely deficient at worst. So why don't we evaluate more options at right back for the USMNT?

Ironically, it seems that we have a lot of quality left backs right now -- Bornstein, Pearce, Dunivant, Burciaga ... why not shift one of those to the gaping hole on the right side? Even someone like Larentowitz would be a welcome addition IMO.

I expect Spector to be the *real* right back during this cycle (sorry, Dolo, your time is running out) ... but we need someone good to compete for this spot. Albright is NOT it.

Last year I thought Wynne was going to break out, and although he did have some good play, it was somewhat erratic. It will be interesting to see how he has progressed through the off-season.

Either way ... let's leave Chris at home and get someone out there that can actually improve our team...

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Dolo is the penciled in starter at right back for the near future.
    He's probably the most unappreciated Yank abroad. I mean, he's a starter and sometimes captain of a Bundesliga team that's in 7th place right now.

Spector is in the second spot, followed by the MLS guys. I like Wynne, too, and hopefully he'll push for the spot.

As far as MLS right backs, how many are definitely better than Albright? The list is REAL short. Trust me, he'll play in either the Gold Cup or Copa America this summer. I know, it makes people cringe, but I think it's almost a certainty.

3. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    The real reason is b/c Bradley has to try and win now to keep his job. Albright is the best in MLS for winning today.

Bradley made horrendous choices for his new RB auditions. Namoff and Gros? Neither one plays RB for DC because DC doesn't have outside backs. Why force it at the NT level for two highly mediocre candidates. But that said, Bradley did try something. It may not have been Wynne like everyone generally agress on but it was something.

As to moving LB's to RB, in general they will play less efficiently on their opposite foot. Think about how Beasley plays at RM as opposed to LM. So basically would Heath Pearce at RB really be better than Albright? I'm doubting it. You would need an obviously better guy to even think about it, like when it was Beasley over Ralston or something.

And we're comparing RB #3 vs. LB #1, not fair imo.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because Albright played for Arena at both UVA and at DC. :p

5. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    LOL... I have been saying this for over a year.

He has been the worst player on the field for either team against Mexico and Denmark. I am shocked that after years and years of improvement we still field players will such a poor level of skill (both attacking and defending) and understanding of the game.

He can barely pass the ball, can't cross the ball, can't defend one versus one, can't start the attack, gets lost defensively, has poor timing on tackles, and oh yeah, can't defend one versus one....

He couldn't play forward and is just as bad at RB.

I would rather us play ANYONE but him. U-23, U-20, or U-17 player. I don't care.

6. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Steve Cherundolo is the starter until someone takes it away. Jon Spector will push him for the spot. Marvell Wynne, if he pans out, could claim the spot in the future.

Chris Albright is not the worst player in the world. His form with the Galaxy was outstanding at times last year. Contrary to what is said here, he can play in a decent cross occasionally (for an example of someone who can't cross, watch Brian Namoff look completely lost while in a crossing position late in the game against Denmark.) He's actually pretty solid in the air, and picks his times to go forward with intelligence.

He'll hold the fort at right back in the all-MLS friendlies until Marvell improves enough to start forcing his way into the team. In the meantime, he's not taking away minutes from anyone.

If he starts in March over Cherundolo and Spector when all the Euros are called in, then I would agree. Otherwise, I just don't see the issue.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably for the same reasons as stated in all the other Christ Albright threads: No F-ing idea.

seriously, nobody can explain that one to me.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes he is. you should see him play sometime.

I notice in your list of attributes it doesn't including 'defends well.' and since he's, you know, a defender that should be worth mentioning. and he may go foward 'with intelligence' but then he makes a play while he proceeds to cram his own head up his ass.

no he won't. he struggles to keep his head above the water.

yes, he is. I mean seriously ... what's his future with the team? is there any role he can play for us in any meaningful game? The answer is no. So why are we bothering with him? Give minutes to a younger player. We know what Chris Albright is. We get it. There are at least 11 other starting right backs in MLS. there are players that could be tried at that position. there are hundreds of players who have that one quality that we need -- I call it the 'Not Chris Albright Quality'. give all of them a shot. If we're gonna trot out a mediocre right back who offers little besides making the fans panic at seeing his name in the lineup, give a young guy a shot. Give the shot to the guy who might develop into something. Chris Albright is what he is at this point. An average MLS player.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ringo, I get it. You're a Quakes fan and hate the Gals. But leave your silly ranting for the rivalries forum.

Chris Albright is the best RB in a 4-4-2 in MLS right now. Wynne may pass him this season, but he hasn't yet.

That's why "still Albright." People need to watch games. That's my opinion.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Didn't Josh Gros sub in for Albright?

Burciaga's defense in MLS is a joke. Bornstein and Pearce are nice prospects. Dunivant wasn't good enough to merit a game despite being in camp.

Sigh. The cycle just started.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, you don't get it. explain to me why Landon is my favorite Nat? c'mon, smart guy. Why do I always come on here and defend Landon? But wait, it's just because I hate the Galaxy. Yeah, you don't get it all.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in my opinion, Chris Albright would make a good Right Winger (that could cover RB if need be). And that's a spot we're short at. However, at 31 next cup, i see him getting exposed more and more.

The main reason why i don't like him at RB is that he lacks the ability to close people down quickly. A quick LM (Guardado) will burn him everytime even though he's actually pretty fast.

But Albright is still a good player. He delivers good crosses and he's one of the best on corners we have. Plus, his performance at RM against Chelsea was great. So, i'm not quite ready to pull the plug on him.

13. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    iam sure you could but albright is actually right footed and has speed and size and offensive ability which coaches like for some reason

14. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    The national team is not a developmental squad. The best available players play. Chris Albright damn well might be the best right back available in world cup qualifier next year, so that's his future with the team right there.

Both Bruce Arena and Bob Bradley apparently think there's some value in bringing him in. Place that fact in juxaposition with a bigsoccer poster saying 'he's the worst player i've ever seen' or 'try any player other than him' and it's clear that one of these opinions is completely without merit.

Now which one do you think it is?

15. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I am not an Albright hater. But he just isn't USMNT material as evidenced by his display against Denmark and to a lesser extent against Mexico. Let's face it, we have Cherundolo who is the locked in starter at RB. We have a legitimate backup RB in Spector. For all intesive purposes we need only two players at RB...but the goal of these friendlies (and the Copa/Gold) is to build depth for the team.

So then who do we go with.....Simek is one person who should get a look as should Wynne. Let's face it nearly everyone on these boards expects Wynne to develop into the RB for the USMNT in the future. Very few people are as fast as that guy, he just needs to start hitting Cherundolo crosses instead of Hejduk crosses.

So the question becomes why waste a spot on Albright? It is better to start building up Wynne and Spector (and Simek to a lesser extent). The only explanation is that Spector and Simek are completely unavailable. In that case all starts should go to wynne. Let the guy improve within the USMNT. Start exposing him to the process.

We are just wasting precious caps on Chris Albright.

16. aaronbrown

aaronbrown Member

May 6, 2004
    San Diego

Sounds bad, but so true....coaches do have favorites

17. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    you know what the usa really needs to play with 3 in the back it just makes more sense

18. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Actually he can cross fairly well and is a threat on set pieces. Don't think I'm endorsing him because his defense is very poor and a massive liability. He could be a stopgap at RM because he likes to get forward. Right now it's Cherundolo, Spector and Albright on the depth chart IMO. I hope Wynne makes his move this year also.

19. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    How?

20. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    it's all pretty easy

Albright can help us against such horrible CONCACAF teams that we face before the hex...but that's it.

For the more important games we get Cherundolo and Spector will be developed by the time the hex rolls around, and even Wynne may be up to those standards by late 2008/early 2009.

But we use Albright early in CONCACAF qualifying so we don't piss off club teams by calling in Cherundolo and Spector for EVERY qualifying match.

21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got cool ********ing hair, thats why.

22. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    what do you mean? i think they should use the 3-5-2
    cb=conrad
    cb=onyewu
    cb=boca
    dm=mastro
    dm=clark
    rwm=dempsey/donovan
    lwm=beasly/convey
    am=donovan/convey/dempsey
    st=rolfe/donvon
    target=ching/copper

what do you think?

23. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

it can work against some teams, but not most. You'd really have to make sure our outside middies cover on D well, we can't pull this off against great attacking teams.

24. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    why? its not like are side defenders really defend too well anyways in a 4 4 2. its the perfect lineup right there

25. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    We'd be shredded by teams with fast wing attackers who can cross. Absolutely shredded. Not a real problem in CONCACAF, but that's not our ultimate goal.