Why Soccer is Better than Football

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SoFo, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I could never understand AM. Football, I know the rules and everything but all the start-stops drive me up the wall. Throw in the commercials and I'm changing the channel. What I do like about soccer is that you don't have to be big or unusually tall. You can be short and still kick ass (Maradona anyone?) or you can be tall and kick ass.

Add the fact that there are soccer leagues EVERYWHERE else in the world and you can go to one whereas the only AM. football leagues I know of exist in the United States. It's an international sport, it's enjoyable, and the passion that supporters generate is amazing.

I have nothing against American football as I think I am just as bad as those who bash our sport but whatever floats your boat.

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    What makes soccer better? It's the only sport that comes with a soundtrack.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!

4. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where LOVE and HATE are involved, one should tread lightly, but I find that soccer gives you more for time asked due precisely to no breaks. I prefer highlights for football:)

5. Mad2Ad

Mad2Ad Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Leicester, Uk
    Anyone who believes that football(soccer to you lol) needs more replays of a few tricks or an awesome pass or whatever does not understand the whole concept about football. One of the best things about football is that the matches have to flow. Replays will make the games seem slower and people will struggle to get into it. We already have sports that have have more replays and analysis like Cricket. Games like Football and Rugby do have replays when the game has started but find it better to have the replays and analysis at the end of the game.

I think that replays etc is all down to opinion on how much you like it and want it. One of my biggest gripes about American Football is that it never seems to flow its to stop start. This is of course my opinion but i think that the replays etc do not help this.

I am interested of course what Americans dislike about football. Theres always the cliches about not liking draws and low scoring matches but anything else that doesn't really tickle your fancing as to say. Hehe

6. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's their loss. However, it's still apart of the big four of North American pro leagues, and the best one at that.

There's one in Canada as well.

7. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What NFL has going for it is that it has the best athletes in the nation.

8. turman

turman Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Plano
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which is it? A misunderstand of the whole concept of soccer or just an opinon? What would be the harm in replaying an amazing pass, dribble, header, etc, etc, while the ball is being retrieved before a corner kick, goal kick, throw in, injury time, etc. etc?

I think if someone doesn't want to see a replay of a "trick" is missing the point that the games we see on televison are being played by some the most amazing athletes on the planet. Who wouldn't want to see that stuff again??

As far as what I dislike about soccer: DIVING. I can provide a solid defense for anything negative anyone says about "soccer" except the diving. Diving gay and sissy. It's not what men do in real life. When faced with a challenge, men do not quit so that a 3rd party can come in and rescue them.

9. turman

turman Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Plano
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last night after our soccer game we headed over to the closest pizza and beer joint. Members from several teams were there, all still wearing their jerseys, probably about 35 players.

The Cowboys and Giants game was on the TVs. Everytime the Cowboys did something good, the whole place would erupt in cheers.

It's a new country - Men in football kits cheering for American Football.

10. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, I can agree to that.

11. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Better athletes than the NBA?? You must be outta your minds.

12. 442fan

442fan New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    I used to like baseball, basketball, and football so I have no trouble understanding why people like those sports. Once I had a chance to play soccer, though, it just seemed better to me. Unlike American football, it is not an advantage to weigh 300 pounds. Unlike basketball, it is not an advantage to be 7 feet tall. Unlike baseball, you have to be in shape to play. And it is just plain fun. Soccer is not more popular in the USA because most older people have never played. I think it is a sport you have to play to really appreciate.

Well, another way it is better than American football is that it is less violent. American football is scary to play because you can get seriously hurt.

13. vawn12

vawn12 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Soccer fans who bash other sports are no different than that soccer-bashing ESPN ignoramus Jim Rome. I prefer soccer. If others don't, that's their business. Every sport has its good and bad points. People will differ in what they prefer to watch. The area where people grew up often affects their preferred sports. There's no law saying you can't enjoy more than one sport.

As far as commercialization, it's true that American football and baseball programs are annoyingly crammed with commercials. But soccer is just as commercialized - shirts and kits, club products, adverts in the stadiums, corporate stadium names, club marketing deals with corporations etc. etc. In fact the 'correct' name of the English Premier League is now 'Barclay's' Premier League.

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    True about commercialization but at least it is less intrusive with soccer. It doesnt disrupt the flow of the game. There are no ads on the shirts of NFL,MLB,NHL,NBA players but before I finish my point, we'll be right back after these messages from your local station...

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Soccer is better because the ball is round. The ball in football is shaped funny, it just doesn't bounce right.

:D

16. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    I love the games of soccer am. football and baseball. The chess game that is football is why it is so entertaining to me. Baseball has a fantastic tradition and is much more difficult than most people would think. The flow of a good soccer match is mezmerizing.

I hate shirt sponsors in soccer. I generally don't want to go around advertising for some random company that probably doesn't share my values. In american sports at least i can support my team with out that. However the amount of commercials does suck.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much where I'm at, too. And we share a favorite team--I'll let you guess which one (hint: my username).

EDIT: My feelings have everything to do with TV coverage and other factors dragging the length of games out. This has nothing to do with bashing football as a sport. I know plenty of American football fans who gripe a little about how long it takes to play a game these days. I know some baseball fans who feel the same way about their favorite sport.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything in this post except the last line. I don't think the treadstarter was being unreasonable. Up until then, though, this post is good stuff.

19. BlackburnRover

BlackburnRover New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    M6

He's got a good point there :D

This thread got me thinking, and through the pain I thought ... Do you think that one of the reasons football/soccer doesn't get the coverage you feel it deserves is down to the fact that the networks can't cram enough commercials into a game? It's a cynical view but worth a thought!

20. vawn12

vawn12 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Actually for baseball the commercials don't interrupt the flow, since there is a natural 'stoppage' after every half-inning. Football likewise has a number of natural stoppages (time-outs, change of possession )that lend themselves to commercials. These commercials also make it possible for much of American football and baseball to be shown on 'regular' TV. Soccer fans the world round have to pay extra not only for cable or satellite, but the added charges for soccer channels, Sky, Setanta, computer viewing, PPV. To see the live broadcast of the England vs. Russia match through PPV cost $25 with my cable company.

21. Bujdasz

Bujdasz New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Its strange before watching loads of futbol other sports didn't bother me on TV. Now when i watch basketball or NFL games i seriously just get board within 10 minutes. I don't get bored of futbol knowing that there is no breaks and constant action.

22. hazy davey

hazy davey New Member

Jul 31, 2007
    New York
    I agree with you about baseball, but not about football.

The "television time-out" was introduced for the Super Bowl - now it is a regular feature of most televised football games.

And you're absolutely correct that it is advertising that allows the games to be broadcast for free. That's true of all sports, though in the case of soccer, sponsorship rather than the TV commercial, is the dominant form of advertising.

But speaking for myself as a viewer, the INCREASE in advertising is disappointing and makes these games less watchable. American football in particular.

23. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I use to play gridiron football along with soccer and I can tell you it's not that intimadating to play. You get hurt if you hesitate, that's about it.

I thought he was just comparing the CFL to the NFL. If he's taking into consideration the other pro leagues, than I have to say NHL and NBA players are much better athletes. The majority of the former though come from a different nation.;)

24. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    I do agree that NBA players are great athletes and have to work very hard to get ready for a 82 game season. but I would have to agree with the other guys on here about the NFL having better athletes. I've seen guys train for both sports and tbh having to go through what some NFL guys go through looks like torture. If you have a minute just take a look at L. Tommlinson workout and I gaurantee you'll be amazed how he workouts in the offseason. I'll give you some positions in the NFL are not as bad to get ready for like a punter or kicker. but some of these guys are just a freak of nature the way there built and how they can move. Dwight Freeney and Brian urlacher are 2 good examples of great athletes in the NFL.

Like I said I know what kind of athletes the NBA has and I'm not saying its easy to be a NBA player. I just think that you can find better athletes in the NFL than the NBA.

25. m1150

m1150 New Member

Mar 3, 2007
    No offense or anything, but what you're saying is like saying, "I don't get the 100 meter dash. They just stop after 10 seconds! Why don't they just keep running for two hours like in a marathon?"

The whole point of American football is that the game is divided into plays, and each team decides what to do specifically for that play. It's like rugby meets chess.

The two-minute commercial breaks, on the other hand, are ridiculous. Probably the best thing about college football as opposed to the pro game is the comparative paucity of ad breaks.