Why Philadelphia Should Buy the Wizards

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, Dec 10, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    how about Phillies?

2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because we want a winning soccer franchise in town. ;)

3. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My suggestion is not based on the movie but on the historical fact. I heard the movie sucked.

For the last friggin' time, the alliteration is not the primary reason for my suggestion, just something for the marketing people, your stomach problems notwithstanding. The primary reasoning is for the image of invincibility and military discipline.

Nope, these all suck. Football, for the millionth time, is a different sport in the United States. Can't use it for soccer, so stop the euro wannabe crap.

I agree, these are all bad too.
    In my opinion, no one who has criticized Phalanx has come up with anything better. Someone suggested the Athletics, to honor the baseball team that had forsaken Philadelphia lo these 50 years. The laughable thing about that is not that the team had won 9 pennants and 5 world series championships while they were here, making them the most successful team we ever had; the laughable thing is that they were among the most god-awful teams ever to take the field in their last 20 years here, and that is the team that people remember here (those who are old enough to remember them at all.) They won all those pennants and world series all by 1931. after that Connie Mack dismantled the team and fielded some of the most forgettable teams ever to play baseball. So no, let's not honor that.
    I will say it again: none of this means a damned thing without an actual team.

4. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anytime you have to give a lengthy explanation about a team name is not good for the marketing department. Keep it simple stupid. Like I said before, the populous of Philly will not have a clue what a "Phalanx" is. If you went out and polled 20 people on Market Street tomorrow, 1-2 people might know what a "Phalanx" is. And I am being generous with those possible 2 people. So that wouldn't be good in trying to brand a team identity. But what do I know about marketing?

It's a good try though. Too bad it sounds like a bad comic book character with that silly X at the end.

5. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Yes it is.

6. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    But think of the possibilities for that X? The marketing people would go bonkers!

/end sarcasm.

7. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how 'bouth them Wizards?...

8. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the fvck would you know?

9. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God forbid that anyone learn anything.

10. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Touchy Touchy.

BTW I gave you some positive rep to offset the negative that you gave.

Now the universe is in balance again.

Toodles.

11. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any new news concerning any aspect of the Wizard's possible move? Or are we all still just speaking in pure hypotheticals?

12. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax Skyscraper. You do have some really good posts and your passion for seeing MLS in Philly is awesome. Seeing that it is Christmas Eve, I suppose it would be OK to have a team named "Phalanx" in Philly for the simple reason that we would have a team to call our own!

The hard part would be explaining the military aspect of a "Phalanx" to my non-thinking friends over some cold beers at the Linc while we watch our team beat the rest of the MLS with the most passionate fan base the league has seen! Chills.

(But my vote is still for Philadelphia Demons! Down with Philly aliteration) :)

Merry Chrismas to all you Philly MLS fans!

13. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Werd to the Philadelphia Phalanx...

Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!

14. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holiday stress...

15. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I understand it is the american way of buying teams and moving them but i hate that idea and i think Kansas City should stay where it is. Try and develop it