Why Philadelphia Should Buy the Wizards

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what makes you the expert about LFF?

We'll get a SSS, as soon as you get a basball field...OOOOPS!!!

2. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There hasn't been a firm commitment on the $100 million yet. It's been a pledge, nothing more. At this point, the money from Pew, Lenfest, et. al. has financed the lawsuit and a few studies. In Philadelphia, a deal liike thins takes a looooooong time to get going. They would have faced problems if they choose the ball fields, but this is more complicated. There still are no plans for a new building nor a budget for this project. Everything is a guess based on the best case, which with the Barnes is huge leap of faith. This is still a really bad deal because the collection will lose so much and because it craps all over an indenture which sets a bad precedent for everyone leaving a will.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

Why is that good name?

It sounds like another one of the goofy names people come up with when they are trying adhere to the american sports team naming convention.

Can't we just all agree that the [City Name] + [Nickname] thing is lame since all the good names have been done.

Phalanx?

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

It's poor creativity sometimes - and that's probably because there are no poets in the marketing departments of any sports franchise - but (FC/Real +) [City Name] (+ United) is definitely a sign of no creativity.

5. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, we can't all agree that that naming convention is lame, or that all the good names have been done.
    Phalanx is good because:
    - it is alliterative
    - it has that cool 'x' at the end
    - it conjures an image of an impenetrable force, which would be reflected in the logo. quite a good image for a sports team.

can't we just all agree that trying to copy the euro naming convention does not make mls a euro-league? can't we just all agree that trying to copy euro conventions just makes mls look like a wannabe league? Can't we all just agree that football is a different sport in the United States, and therefore we can't use FC in soccer team names for that reason? Can't we all just agree that we could all benefit from a little more creativity and thought in our naming selections, rather than just giving it up and calling the American convention "lame"?
    I happen to like Phalanx, but if you don't that's fine. It doesn't mean that we have exhaused all possibilites within the American convention.

6. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    phallanx (plural??) at their armory, the linc....

perhaps phallic is too close to phallanx for some??

overall, it's a good creative idea though!!

8. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    While I think Phalanx is an okay name generally, I think its too alliterative for its own good. A good name should roll off the tongue, but this combo sounds too contrived. I prefer the Phlebotomists. Or maybe the Phillistines.

Actually, I like the Philadelphia Independents.

So, the Wiz are coming when?

9. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think only repressed pre-pubescent boys will think "phallic" and find it funny: I think the only real pitfall is the pronunciation: it is pronounced "FAIL-angs." As in, "Fail - angst", failure of the team and the angst that inevitably follows.

10. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    It sounds goofy.

We should name a team because it has a cool X?

This is the type of think that allows us to end up with teams like Wild and Thrashers and Predators. Not every name has to fierce and when you try to hard you end up with silly minor league names like these.

Who said anything about euro names? Why do people insist on bringing up this euro insecurity everytime someone points out a silly name. Where did europe enter this argument?

1. No one said anything about FC anything. The euro obsession of too many on here is really troubling. People are so enraptured with not doing anything remorely euro that they are now unable to learn anything from the continent. That gets tired real fast.

2. So if it is a different sport why do we automatically settle for the same old naming convention.

11. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you are not suggesting the euro convention, or the American convention, what do you suggest?

12. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club Independiente de Philadelphia

:p

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Hmm lets see.

How about something at least vaguely original?

A stab at originality anyone ?

14. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Philadelphia Atomic.

Not Atomics!!!!!!

Just Philadelphia Atomic.

Its not a desperat eattempt at fitting into any convention.

It harkens back to the cities past.

It is different which would help the game stand out.

Naw makes too much damn sense.

15. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I thought that before the Minnesota Timberwolves came along. (Yes, I know it's a state name, not a city name.) I think it's a great name.

The truth is, there are some animals that haven't been used yet and would work well with a sports team. They just need to be thought of. Vultures, Snakes, and Lizards don't sound right for Philly, but I'm sure there is an unused animal that would.

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pigons!!!! :D

17. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Why do they have to be animal names? Why do thye have to be agrressive?

This is the problem I have with it. Its so damn formulaic.

Timberwolves is actually a good name. But the people who are in love with this convention would have just gone with wolves or something more aggro.

Its really tired now.

18. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

They don't have to be, although team sport is merely combat simulation, as in without the blood (most of the time). They can be historical/cultural (76ers/Knicks), geographical (Texans), elemental (Flames), or without any obvious purpose (I don't know what a Blue Jacket or a Dodger is). The naming convention hasn't run dry just yet.

19. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???It doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Trying to live off of the success of the Atoms? And why do you want to harken to the past, why not look to the present or future?

20. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Its pretty hard to harken to the future.

21. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's a pig on?

22. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Blue Jacket is a union soldier

and a Dodger is a trolley dodger (from when the franchise was in Brooklyn)

23. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say harken to the future: I said *look* to the present or future.
    Smartass.

24. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't trying for originality and "creating tradition" what landed us with names like Clash, Fusion, and Mutiny?

25. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ooops! piggons! :D