Why not play in March?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MRschizoid21, Mar 8, 2005.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Often, people complain about the league not being around right now.
    Top reasons why MLS should start one month earlier:
    1. Yes, it's cold in March - and it's also cold in October.
    2. Instead of having to deal with NFL stadiums (the lines, scheduling and all that) for a little more than 2 months, it's down to one.
    3. It would help the teams in the Champions Cup, as they would be already in season (even if it is only a game or 2), instead of still in preseason form.

This year - it runs from April 2 to November 13. 33 weeks.
    They could have started (should have started) on February 26 and ended on October 9th.

That's one month less of football lines, no portion of the playoffs going on at the same time as the World Series - plus, something to be talking about at this time.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One simple answer March Madness. MLS doesn't want to compete and rightfully so. Coverage on TV would be limited or non existant because ESPN shows many of the NCAA tourney games and coverage print wise would be small.

3. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    then what do we talk about in November?

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm looking out my window now and could give you a few pretty good reasons why we can wait until April.

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. NCAA basketball.
    2. Snow is not unusual in Chicago and much of the Northeast in March.
    3. The season is already seven months long.

6. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I think starting in March would be a good thing. Honestly, the weather in the States during Dec,Jan,Feb makes it impossible to get on the 'world schedule' (although many keep insisting we need to play a Fall-Spring calendar anyway). At least by starting in March we would, as you point out, be into the season before the Champions Cup, which (for the time being) should be the international competition supreme for MLS.

As far as March weather in the northern U.S., it's not great, but why can't we load the first 4 weeks of the season with southern home games (at least once more SSS's allow us more control of scheduling?) That way, bad weather shouldn't keep many fans away or affect early-season play.

Finally, a season starting in late Feb/ early March would have to compete with March madness, but a season with playoffs in late October/November is contending with the baseball playoffs and NFL games with playoff significance. Either way, part of the season is screwed as far as coverage - why do we want it to be the end (playoffs & cup) rather than the first few games? It seems to me we'd want more focus on the playoffs and Cup, but even if some disagree with me it still wouldn't make THAT big of a difference.

So yeah, basically I agree with you. Ideally I'd like to see us make the playoffs true one-ofs and shave a week that way, (and maybe shave another week with the all-star game too), but those are two totally different subjects - a late February/early March through late September/early October schedule would be the same length and make a lot of sense to me.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, April 2, MLS Opening Day, is the same day as the national semifinals. So they seem to be competing pretty heavily.

Every weekend has something to compete with. So you may as well schedule what works best for you. Why start two weeks earlier (avoid snow that way) and cut back one round of Wednesday games (since they do worse than weekend games) and take one week off on an international week (like for this year, U.S.-Mexico). Leave MLS Cup where it is.

8. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It almost never snows in October.

Looking out my window right now on March 8, we have white out conditions.

Andy

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At that point, there are only 4 NCAA mens DIV 1 teams playing. Early March, and the number goes to 300.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we just have this same discussion about three weeks ago?

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, that's why I said start two weeks earlier (say March 19) when there's a lot less playing and very minimal threat of snow. I'm not sure if the Women's Tournament would interfere with time slots on ESPN2 or not (the Men's Tournament is completely on CBS so that's not an issue), but if it does than it does. Maybe get the first two games on ABC in that case instead of just one (if that's possible).

We schedule our championship game against the NFL, so is that not as bad as putting the first game or two against basketball? Maybe it's just because I like the NFL and could care less about college sports.

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    As we get more MLS teams with their own stadiums we will probably have more pressure to conform with the international calendar. But when I see the weather in NYC today, I have to say "not without a roof!" I suppose teams in Europe face days like today at this time of year, but we'd have to be well on the way to being established as a sport with a large and devoted fanbase before we played through a snow storm.

Re: the oft-mentioned international calendar -- what about Norway, Sweden, Russia? Don't they play during the summer as we do? I have to admit, I would prefer a July-August break. The intense heat just destroys the game.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's off-season. Nothing but reruns.

15. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Hmmmm....on February 26 I was still digging out from under 12 inches of snow dumped the Sunday before.

There are options around that. One is to schedule a winter break like many of the northern European leagues (Holland, Germany, Denmark, etc.) do. Another would be to borrow the concept of a split season from the Latin Americans.

I'm not necessarily advocating for either one, but they are options.

16. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yeah, March is statistically our snowiest month here.

17. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    I have to say:

"You cannot underestimate the impact of March Madness."

The first weekend is the mid-major tournaments and the season-ending rivalry matches, i.e. Kansas/Missouri, North Carolina/Duke.
    Second weekend? Major conference tournaments.
    Third weekend? First week of NCAA - coverage Thursday-Sunday with teams from all regions playing in all regions.

The difference between the first weekend of the NCAA tournament and the last weekend is that at most, four markets in an 11 market league will be impacted. Let's look at the opening weekend this year and see how many markets have college teams in the tournament.

In addition to the issues with television coverage, putting games against these events puts attendance in competition with them. It also makes the competition for media coverage - p.r., column inches in newspaper, time on TV - more difficult to come by.

The other point that hasn't been mention:

If you consider the "family market" an important demographic for the league to be targeting, there's the small matter of Spring Break, which means that families travelling at that time could be out of town for two weekends and very likely miss at least one home game.

Plus, an April start is more aligned with the beginning of outdoor seasons in the U.S. It's difficult to build soccer's presence in parents minds when the kids are playing winter basketball or hockey.

Another consideration is what impact moving the season start up would have on marketing sales operations. We'd have to turn to some of the team sales reps to see how effective they think they could be selling earlier in the year. There's also the matter of timing season ticket drives and communications, plus moving up the draft and training camps.

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see MLS start its season in mid-March and have MLS Cup in late September before the NFL gets into full swing and baseball has its playoffs.

Whatever effect March Madness might have on MLS attendance and publicity, it pales in comparison to the extent MLS is overshadowed by the NFL in October & November.

Starting MLS play in March would certainly not be anything new. In its first 10 years, MLS has started regular season play in March five times:

Year....Opening Day

1996.....April 6
    1997.....March 22
    1998.....March 15
    1999.....March 20
    2000.....March 18
    2001.....April 7
    2002.....March 23
    2003.....April 5
    2004.....April 3
    2005.....April 2

19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    So start in February?

How many deaths have been reported due to soccer being played after/during it snowing. I could have swore I saw snow in both English and French games this weekend. Escaping the shadow of NCAA & NFL football is my biggest wish whatever the cost. The league going dark on ESPN2 each fall and getting only a couple of standard cable playoff telecasts is a big problem. It's the time when exposure needs to be the greatest IMO. It'll be some time before MLS can challenge football in much of any way. I'd rather go up against baseball. But no easy answer here. Getting teams their own venues is the first step in getting the flexibility to find a better way.

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Brazil's national leagues play from April through November. (Of course, that's the Southern Hempishere, so most of the national season avoids the hottest months of the year. But the state leagues are usually played during part of the summer.)

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The international calendar is simply a list of dates on which national teams can call up players for international games. It says nothing about playing a fall-spring schedule, that's just a big myth.

I'd prefer a world-wide June break, which in even years would have World Cups and continental championships, and in odd years have a group of international games (which should reduce the number of in-season Wednesday internationals, which are especially tough for U.S. internationals playing in Europe).

22. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking out the snow factor, NCAA basketball pales in comparison to the NFL, doesn't it? I would much rather see white snow on the field than gridiron lines that make everything hard to see, which is in yellow.

Second, I wasn't talking about making the season longer. I was talking about shifting the calendar up by about five weeks.

23. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    There'll be snow on the ground for tonight's DC United vs Harbour View CCC match. (Unless they've cleared it, I have no idea.) Tune in to FSC if you want to see how playing in March would pan out.

Frankly, I don't know. As a fan it might be fun, like NFL playoffs.

24. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Yes, we do have an opposite season compared to the rest of Europe. But then again, we do have a summer break.

25. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    It's not simply average temperature. The weather conditions are simply harsher in late winter/early spring than in late fall in many MLS cities.

Virtually no one will attend an MLS match in snow. There aren't enough season ticket holders in most cities and the tickets are relatively inexpensive enough and games plentiful enough that even if you have to eat one game's worth, it isn't the end of the world. And walkup would be virtually nonexistant. I'm sure somebody would attend. But the league has enough problems on nice-weather Wednesday nights. A Saturday that is cold and wet or snowing (or all three) would be nothing but miserable for all involved, and would not be worthy of attending, worthy of putting on television, or worthy of playing in.

But, hey, don't let the facts and common sense stop ya.