Why not more Canadians in MLS?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by roarksown1, Jan 7, 2003.

1. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Problem...

Hi Canucks.
    I have just moved to St John from the states. I wish to support Canadian Soccer. I'm a long time player and supporter of American soccer, and a member of Sam's Army. I'm happy, if cold, to be up here.
    UNBSJ has a top college program here in St John, which I am looking forward to getting involved with. There is an indoor league, and lots of players. So what with USA Canada happening I thought I'd invite over some folks to watch the game. I like a big group, more voices and opinions, more fun. And nobody I asked even knew there was a game today. A couple guys said they'd stop by, but with low enthusiasm. Thats the problem.
    And now on BS you guys are talking HOCKEY. Maybe thats the problem. The US has the same problem with baseball/basketball/football. And even hockey, I guess.
    USSF isn't trying to keep canadian soccer down, they don't need to. Is there an equivalent to Sam's Army for Canada? Is there a Canadian SF? Is there a canadian professional league? Are there any fans? I'm not being mean, I would like answers so I can get involved.
    And why can't Canada field a MLS team, with Canadian players and three internationals? Welsh teams play in the english leagues...

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: The Problem...

Check out

www.canadian-soccer.com (Voyageurs)...

There is no real professional league in Canada. As you might know, there are four teams in the A-League (Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto). Edmonton is supposed to join in 2004, and Ottawa might also be looking to join in the near future.

There is a semi-pro league in Ontario/Quebec called the CPSL (www.cpsl.org) and a league out West, which is basically the same level of the CPSL called the PCSL (www.pcsl.bc.ca).

Here is the soccer New Brunswick site http://www.soccernb.org/

New Brunswick does have a provincial league, but it is strictly amateur.

The following site is also useful if you want to learn about the various levels of soccer in Canada

http://www.soccernb.org/

Oh yeah, it doesn't surprise me that not too many people know about the Canada-USA soccer match.

3. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I say start a grassroots effort by means of a petition to make Canada the 51st state and your problem is solved. (If Quebec doesn't agree, let them become their own country)

;)

(my troll for the month)

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Mmmmm, independance or becoming American? Not too hard a choice, I say. ;)

And as for the chap out in NB, I fear you might feel very lonely out there as currently the Voyageurs are rather centralised in the larger Canadian cities.

As for one Canadian MLS team, the "problem" lots of people have with that is that with the cost of a stadium and the $40m CAN franchise fee, one could bankroll a fully Canadian league for 5 years or so.

And it's not "just" a hockey game, it's THE hockey game that gets real attention coast-to-coast, the original 6 Canadian rivalry, Habs-Leafs.

5. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Personaly

Desigol stated personal opinion on a Canadian section of this board. He certainly wasn't trolling.

6. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Re: Re: Personaly

Personally I wouldn't hire an American to mow my yard. All the time while mowing the front yard he'd be planning an invasion of the back yard.

7. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Personaly

Thanks for dfending me Krammerhead. I'm sure you'd appreciate it.

8. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Personaly

Well you didn't really need defending. You posted an idea that you thought would help Canadian soccer on the Canadian section of this board. Even had you posted it on the USA section it would not been trolling.