Why not more Canadians in MLS?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by roarksown1, Jan 7, 2003.

1. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a very common thing, the Bundesliga for example, that many players from neighboring countries go and play in a more lucrative, successful league next-door. For example, there are a great number of Austrians that play(ed) in the Bundesliga, along with Poles, Czechs, Belgians, etc.

Noticing the list of Canadian players that are scheduled to go up against the USA on the 18th of January, I was surprised to see that only one of those players (De Rosario) plies his trade with an MLS club.

This is not to say that MLS is such a huge step up that those Canadian players in Europe should play in MLS, but I was curious as to why such a small number actually do. Is it very difficult to secure a work visa for Canadian players wanting to play in MLS? Do they not want to help strengthen a league that they may see as "competitive" to their own?

I'm not talking smack at all here or trying to rouse up anything before the match, but I'm just really curious as to why there aren't more Canadians playing in MLS. By the way, I was at the last Gold Cup match where Hirschfeld was insane that day. We won the match but many props to that guy. Glad to see he got rewarded with a contract from Spurs.

2. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    One word = Quotas

You can only carry so many internationals in the MLS and the teams go for Europeans or Central and South America over Cdns.
    Also, for the young guys, the pay is pitiful; they can (and do) make much more in Europe, even in lower divisions.

3. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

MLS choose foriegners that put butts in the seats and Canadians playersd don't do that.

So MLS rather than wanting the most talented imports would rather sign useless old farts that will bring in the ethnic fans.

4. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For example, Gazza..... :D

Oh wait, he was thinking about playing in Malta....

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The only way a Canadian will make it into the MLS is if he has an AMerican passport or a Green Card.

6. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    A far better question is why does MLS take the Canadians they do?

Two years ago, Robbie Aristodemo wasn't picked up by MLS (after a strong US college career), but a far too young Ali Ngon (19yo) gets picked up by Miami to see no action. And Josue Mayard (who is a Haitian intl, but was produced by the Canadian system) gets some time - and I thought looked half-decent - for Dallas.

A year later Dallas has Atiba Hutchinson on trial and have no use for him, but they could use Mayard? It defies explanation.

I agree though, most top end Canadian players have an eye towards Europe and most MLS teams are looking for names to put butts in the seats.

cheers,
    hobbes

7. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I heard Atiba didn't even really have a chance to make the team. He was at the camp to fill out the roster...

8. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    You're right. I'd rather watch Geoff Aunger than Carlos Ruiz, Simon Elliot or Ezra Hendrickson.

And old farts like Cienfuegos, Stoichkov and Novak can't possibly have the positive influence of a Kurt Manal.

9. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    Re: One word = Quotas

remember, Euro teams can have unlimited foriengers (provided they're from EU nations), and MLS clubs can only have 3 foriegners total

10. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Kurt Who?

11. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    To further you parallel, if or when there is the NAFTA equivalent of the Bosman ruling, you'll see more Canadians playing in MLS.

12. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Since when does Geoff Aunger represent Canadian talent? The topic is why there aren't more Canadians playing in the MLS, and I gave the answer. The fact is that there are talented Canadians that aren't given a chance in the MLS because they don't have fancy foreign names that will bring in the crowds. If you don't like my mentioning it I suggest you don't read the Canadian section of this site.

As far as those players you mention, such as Kurt Manal, I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't follow the MLS.

13. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I doubt Kurt Manal ever played in the MLS because he played in the ASL II in 1988 with Boston. Are you telling me you never followed to the ASL II? ;)

About the MLS, I actually miss watching the games every weekend. I never thought I would, but I would rather watch the MLS then the EPL.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Restrictions and Money

This is hardly worth discussing.

First, with only three foreigners allowed, very few Canadians are worth taking a spot. There may be a lot of Canadians who could play in the MLS if they had green cards, but competing for three foreign spots, it is difficult.

Second, all those Canadians who are good enough can make more money elsewhere.

15. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I might follow MLS if it was actually on TV here, and I would watch it over the EPL for sure.

My rather sharp reaction was due to the fact that every Canadian soccer player past, present, and future was being equated with Geoff Aunger (not that I particularily have anything against him, however I know how lowly regarded he is by others).

To use a hockey analogy, thats like equating all Russian hockey players to Vladimir (fat lazy bugger) Krutov. Wouldn't wan't any more Russians in the NHL because we all know how exciting it was to watch Krutov play.

16. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a plot by the USSF to keep Canadian soccer down ;)

17. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    The Krutov analogy is perfect for a soccer board too since I actually saw him score one with his head. It was an exhibition game in Calgary and Larinov intercepted a clearing pass at Calgary's blueline, whipped a high shot in that hit Krutov in the helmet and bounced into the Calgary net. :)

18. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Heh. Probably the only way to get Krutov to score. I guess he was too slow to get out of the way. :)

19. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
    Personaly

I think the MLS should help develop good young American and Canadian players from Colege/A-League. But it seems to be a 'dumping ground' for has-beens such as Stoichkov. Maybee if teams are to cut their spending then maybe Canadians can get a Chance.

20. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Personaly

has-beens like

Brian McBride
    Landon Donovon
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Eddie Pope
    Bobby Convey
    Chris Armas
    Damarcus Beasley
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Clint Mathis
    Taylor Twellmann
    Carlos Ruiz

21. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
    Re: Re: Personaly

Well, American youth has been given a chance. But maybee if there was less emphasis on buying those who are past their sell by date then MORE youngsters could get a chance.

22. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Personaly

Yeah, if we had a league. ;)

Of course it isn't the job of the MLS to develop young Canadian players.

23. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Personaly

Rodrigo Faria - Brazil - 25
    Carlos Ruiz - Guatemala - 23
    Freddy Garcia - Guatemala - 26
    Duncan Oughton - New Zealand - 25
    Daniel Torres - Costa Rica - 25
    John Wilmar Perez - Colombia - 32
    Ryan Nelsen - New Zealand - 25
    Eliseo Quintanilla - El Salvador - 19
    Marco Antonio Etcheverry - Bolivia - 32
    Milton Reyes - Honduras - 28
    Jaime Moreno - Bolivia - 28
    Andy Williams - Jamaica - 25
    Douda Kante - Mali - 24
    Diego Serna - Colombia - 29
    Danny Jackson - England - 23
    Ronald Cerritos - El Salvador - 27
    Tenywa Bonseu - Uganda - 26
    Steve Morrow - Northern Ireland - 32
    Ronnie O'Brien - Ireland - 24
    Joselito Vaca - Bolivia - 20
    Stephen Armstrong - South Africa - 26
    Dario Fabbros - Argentina - 26
    Igor Simutenkov - Russia - 29
    Simon Elliott - New Zealand - 26
    Alejandro Moreno - Venezuela - 23
    Alex Pineda Chacon - Honduras - 33
    Dwayne DeRosario - Canada - 24

tired of being wrong yet?

24. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Personaly

These young guns may grow up to be something special one day.

25. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Personaly

Those young guns have a total of 13 years of service to MLS between them. all of them a lot to offer and are valuable on and off the field.

even stoichkov and valderrama, the grandfathers of the league, were taking care of business until this past season and their influence on the younger players on their respective team is a value that can't be measured.

my point is, as we can all see, Desigol is either a troll or some sort of, uh, troll.