Why No Ultras In England?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by purpleronnie, Aug 14, 2006.

1. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
  2. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    I saw a lot of games in England (First Div. and now EPL)

What should a Ultra be or do there. Pay Ultra Money for average Football.

Sit on their chairs?

Raise the flare?

An Ultra wan`t to had the chance to win any titles near the national.

An Ultra want to see good football, not made stars who can shot straight or can only kick "freekicks" David or, a superstar but only under av. player..

The EPL declares Av. players to superstars, the result you see at the WC 2006 in Germany.

England is at the worlds top. (Only by the amateurs).

3. Fratton Fred

Fratton Fred New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    At the Bar
    err ok,

Why are the top German players coming to England then?

4. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    The likes of Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Cech, Jens Lehmann, Arjen Robben, Alonso, Fabregas, Maniche were just appalling in the world cup weren't they? Not!

Criticising the Premierships quality of players in this thread about Ultra's seems strange - if you want to compare players in the Premiership to the Bundesliga then this really needs another thread.

5. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    When was the last time Germany did ******** all in international club competition, you thick twit?

6. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously what makes for a good atmosphere is a matter of perception. Just like many things in life perception becomes the reality. I for one am not a big fan of the huge flags and flares. I actually love football and plan on seeing the action on the pitch when I attend a match. I do however love the singing and chanting at a footy match. I can't stand to be in a packed crowd and feel like I'm constantly trying to get some noise going. As many have mentioned I think this comes down to the walk of life the fans come from. With the high price of tickets many big clubs have some very reserved fans. However you can see that big clubs from areas of hard working peoples are still very loud and provide a fantastic atmosphere.

Anyway, this thread is a fantastic read with some great humour. I think my favorite quip came from MadAussieinUSA: "how do you set off a flare in a packed stadium? what does the mum+3 kids do who are sitting next to you when you set one off? Since the act itself is totally irresponsible, how can one be respectful and cautious?

heres a loaded gun. dont shoot nobody in the crowd now ok.. shesh "

I about fell of my chair. Thanks for that. :D

Cheers,

Dave

7. dvandyke

dvandyke Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Me and my mates let off flares at a few English Non-League grounds last season to look hard and act like we are cool but we wont get away with it this season because St. Albans City got promoted to the conferance league and thier is always too many police about. :(

8. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    the english games have never had the same kind of atmosphere as many european games... i think they have just as good fan bases.. but there is a few differences in the way sof flares etc.. which may make the stadium a little more intimidating maybe.. each to their own.. but i much prefer the euro ones to the english.. the fans have very little chants in uk and very little action int he crowds.. apart from at maybe liverpool games... i went to the liverpool - chelsea fa cup semi final last year.. the liverpool fans were excellent very vocal and seemed to be united... whereas the chelsea fans had maybe 2-3 chants.. and didnt ever seem to get together to sing for their team.. maybe this is a lack of a real good song to sing (such as youll never walk alone) but.. thats just my opinion

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must be joking. Oh wait your post makes sense because you went to a Liverpool vs. Chelsea match. Not all are plastic fans, but most are plastic. That means they won't have the clever chants or dedication to their teams like the Portsmouth, Birmingham, Man City, or Watford fans have.

10. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Best post in the thread and absolutely on the nail.

11. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stop **********ing around trying to make everyone like you - your first post says you've been to over 50 English grounds and that the atmosphere is rubbish. Period.

12. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I can gather through Fox Soccer Channel's coverage, the atmosphere is great...just without third degree burns.

13. Joe E

Joe E New Member

May 9, 2003
    london
    ah, just like our own dear geordies.

14. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh look an idiot Spurs fan.:rolleyes:

15. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Let's cool it with the insults, guys.

16. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    i'm no spurs fan but some revelations were made about this guys mum on another thread and since then he's had an axe to grind.

best to ignore :cool:

17. SalZeroGS

SalZeroGS New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    About the number of fans - sure there are many more people attending the match than in other countries, but most of them are only present to simply watch the game. Also, as much as i could hear and see on the TV, others that are there to support their team are not so much organised in the means of cheering together like some other groups do, more fanatical (if that is the right term) grops, rather than these mellow, simply visitors.

If you are wondering about the atmosphere, it is very important that supporters are organised and that there is someone to lead them and keep a relative amount of order on the stands. Something like this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnI28phSK-s

18. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    atmospheres in England games are alot better than most premier league matches, I always see people with the England flag painted on their face and people wearing those jester hat things, and people cheering and doing mexican waves in the stand, and it is great. It makes the match more interesting and the atmosphere can make players play better

19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm quite confused by this thread.

I've been to many English games and generally the atmospheres have been excellent. Old Trafford seemed to be at its best on European nights. If you're in the Stretford End you don't sit down (until the stewards tell you to - then you stand up again five seconds later). But then it's been a few years since I've been there and I've heard that it's gotten much worse. I've attended a number of Non-League games at Yarmouth Town and there is NO atmosphere - but then their average attendance is about 70 people. I do find that some grounds have less chanting depending on where you sit. And 'organised' chanting just seems cheesy to me. The best chants come when somebody just comes out with something and it catches on. And when something happens to make the crowd react - that is definitely something to be part of.

I don't know why people think Chivas USA/LA Galaxy games have a great atmosphere. The Chivas banner and flares were cool enough, but the singing (which is what really makes the atmosphere) is very sparse. I attend LA Galaxy games regularly, normally sitting high up in the steel structure and the atmosphere is a little better there, but it is more foot-stomping than singing and it doesn't come close to the Premiership.

20. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    whats with the flares crap are you a pyro maniac or something:confused:

We have fireworks in england on november the 5th "bomby night" and that will do, because the entire country stinks of gun powder the next morning.

Portsmouth do have great fans but the guy with the cow bells needs a good kickin:cool:

21. danhatfield1993

danhatfield1993 New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Is there any need for Ultras anyway?? They create a bit of colour yeah but for an atmosphere you want the fans reacting to whats going on on the pitch not a few flares going of so you cant see the game.

And to be honest to create an atmosphere you only need passion just look at FC United...
    [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z4rM4keG0Pg[/ame]

22. Matiomo1234

Matiomo1234 New Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I know this this thread is old, but people must be joking saying England has the best atmosphere in europe. The atmosphere in England is rubbish and most fans just sit down and watch the game. Fans from different countries have proved that you can oversing 30k English fans easily. English atmosphere best in europe ? you can't even compare english atmospheres to atmospheres in countries like Turkey, Greece, Poland, Germany etc. I have been to games in a lot of countries (including England) and from my personal experience i can ASSURE YOU that the atmospheres produced for the English teams is one of the worst in Europe. excluding 3-5 teams. Most fans just sing when their team is winning and thats not really when the teams needs fans' help...

Im not even gonna mention Ultras

PS. Wisla fans taking the piss out of Spurs

http://galeria.wislakrakow.com/20081002/norek/10.jpg

O yeah if the English fans are so great how come Wisla oversang Spurs at their own ground ? and it wasnt a friendly (UEFA Cup)

23. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As its a clash of Cultures.

England has changed dramatically since the 80s, going to football now is seen as a family day out.

In Germany there is standing and you can drink lager on the terraces.
    Italy, Turkey, South America etc are all hooligan majority crowds.

It has nothing to do with the English people being reserved, its the safety laws which have killed the atmosphere at games. The reason you get atmosphere at derbys or midweek games tends to be as this is when there are less familys and more males 18-40 attending.

24. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Liverpool fans are the worst glory hunting fans in England. Unless they are winning you can hear a pin drop at Anfield.

25. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Away fans are always louder. You'd know this is you'd ever been to a football match.