Why no more "You'll Never Beat JOE CANNON!"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by battchy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    I was listening and it sounded like The Casbah wasn't using this traditional chant, they were doing something different. It was always one of my favorites. Is it dead?

Cheers,
    Battch

GO QUAKES!!!

2. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I remember at least two occasions during the New England game where the Casbah lead us in rounds of "you'll never beat Joe Cannon". My favorite was right after Joe won the one-on-one following that bad back pass by Lima.

3. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose
    I really don't like that chant. I remember when we were playing the scum, we started chanting it and they scored. Eventually there will be a few that gets by, so let's chant something else.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It works, it as historical precedent, and it sounded ********in' brilliant last night when I heard it from the Casbah, from the Ultras, and from isolated groups elsewhere.

5. SJAnfield

SJAnfield New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    San Jose
    We need to stop chanting this after we've been scored on! I remember several games this year we would chant it after being down 1-0! It only works if we are shutting them out.

6. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    so what i'm getting is that it was used...i just couldn't hear it? i sit in 103, right between the two groups, so that seems odd, but perhaps i just couldn't hear it over my own cheers???

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Nah. That shouldn't matter. If they scored it wasn't because he was beaten. It was because he made a mistake that he normally wouldn't make. IOW it's just that the opposing player beat him, he just beat himself. :)

Besides, the chant is not necessarily grounded completely in reality or it would never be used.

8. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    And here I thought along that thousands of people were telling me that I'd never BE Joe Cannon...

ok, bad joke.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "WE ARE JOE CANNON!!!"* [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

* I suppose this paraphrased declaration will be lost on those here who haven't been watching the BBC's latest Robin Hood TV series. :eek:

10. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    A couple of times this season I tried, "You'll Never Beat Joe Cannon . . . Unless your a Quakes defender attempting a headed backpass!" But I just couldn't get the rhythm right.;)