Why no MLS on Spanish language TV this year?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by sebakoole, Aug 2, 2002.

1. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    I apologize if this topic was already discussed before the BS crash, but I'm just wondering why I don't see any MLS games on Univision or Telemundo this year. Do these stations have plans to show any next year? I can't imagine the Latino audience is entirely happy just watching tape-delays of Mexican league games on those stations.

2. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    According to Garber the Spanish language networks want Sunday afternoon games and that doesn't fit into the MLS' plans for good attendance. The MLS prefers Saturday night games I guess.

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    afternoon games = crap games where the fans would rather be anywhere but baking at the game.

Good for MLS to say no to Telemundo and Univision and all the other -vision channels.

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Except that MLS had good ratings on Univision. How about ONE Sunday game televised on both Spanish and English TV? I'm not saying we should do that, but it's worth talking about.

5. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Not true in all venues. Chicago has historically done quite well with Sunday afternoon games.

6. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    They should show taped Saturday night games on Sunday afternoons, I'd watch.

7. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    How about have all games that week be on Saturday, except for one on Sunday?

8. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major League Baseball fans don't go to 1:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon games? They even sit in the baking sun for an hour longer.

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    MLB has more fans to draw from, they have a much easier time finding people to bake in the sun than soccer does.