Why no MLS in copa sudamericana?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Mstars96, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at the list of teams that will play this year and unlike last time when DC played U. Catolica of Chile this year no MLS teams in it, just teams from Mexico and Costa Rica.
    We need those tournaments, need the experience and to be recognized by the rest of the world, any word on why?

2. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My initial response is that there are no MLS teams located in South America.

After that, I have no idea why we had teams play before and not this year. My guess would be that CONMEBOL didn't decide to invite us back.

3. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Last year an MLS team was invited after a Mexican side (monterrey I think), decided late in the game they could no go. Not sure why DC got picked. Perhaps SUM had a hand in that.

Typically two Mexican sides are invited as well as the second place finisher in the CONCACAF Cup.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    From what I can tell the formula goes like this: 2 MFL Teams + 1 Non-Mexican Team.

If a Mexican team is the runner-up then a team from the semis gets invited (no MLS team made the semis this year.)

PS: CONMEBOL wanted to invite Saprissa last year, but CONCACAF didn't allow it.

6. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONMEBOL has started to invite two CONCACAF clubs to the Copa Sudamericana, starting last season. They chose the two from the three clubs that made the Semi-Finals of the CONCACAF Champions Cup, but did not win the tournament. As DC United made the Semi-Finals last season, they were an option, and as their original selections did not pan out, they ended up inviting PUMAS (who made the finals) and DC United.

The Galaxy and the Revs both failed to make the Semi-Finals. So the 3 clubs that CONMEBOL had to choose from did not include any MLS clubs. Next season we have got to get both clubs into the Semi-Finals.

7. EdG567

EdG567 Member

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its stupid that they are inviting CONCACAF teams in a CONMEBOL tournament. Why cant they just play their teams against their teams and leave it be.

8. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONMEBOL makes more money having the Mexican clubs involved in both Copa's (Libertadores & Sudamericana), I would assume.

9. EdG567

EdG567 Member

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably do make more money, but it just doesnt make any sense. It's a league tournament and they're inviting others in? Just weird I guess.

10. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    you mean a confederation tournament. I don't even know if it is. Sanctioned, approved, and stamped "2nd best tournament" by CONMEBOL, yes, but I'm not sure it's run by CONMEBOL. IT's invitational, it's like the old NIT when it was good! As such, I see no problem at all with CONCACAF teams in it, it can be fun and good visibility. It was announced the CONCACAF runner-up would be invited, then they also invited the semi-finalists, which were the Costa Rican teams. Seems fine to me. Other than the runner-up being invited, I have not heard of any formula for inviting teams, I guess they'll keep their options open.

11. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    You know what comes to mind when you say that...

You know what this sounds like ... [MLS/SUM toss banana peel out in front of Mexican team, who slips, falls, breaks leg; whereupon MLS hops out from its hiding place and says, "Pick me, pick me."] ... hand in it, indeed.

12. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Did we even make it past our first round? We might have blown our try-out.

13. wreckedmachine redded

Aug 15, 2006
    mls turned down many invitations in the past, its ur guys is dumbass fault. dont blame anybody, plus mexican clubs tear it up and make money anywhere it plays so of course we come. slip and fall? ya ok retard, thats why mls hardly EVER plays outside the us, pusys.

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source?

or Bullpucky?

Put up or shut up, tough guy.

15. SoccerPro843