Why no Local TV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Nick79, Mar 1, 2019.

1. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if this "fix" will also eliminate those who were able to watch on ESPN+ while being in market

ejs1111, sitruc, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted that Flo map somewhere yesterday - i can't quite figure out which parts of WVA it thinks are part of its area :) It looks like some 8 year old colored it in.

That map is on their FAQ page titled as their "coverage area" - I'm not sure that it's also their "blackout area". I suppose I'll learn if they blacked me out when I get home Sat night and try to watch my DK recording and see whether it's 2 1/2 hours of the DTV logo with bad music or an actual soccer game with bad announcers.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly certain they are more concerned with that issue than folks being able to see it :)

sitruc, Winoman and TowsonDad repped this.
  4. TowsonDad

TowsonDad BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 1, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep us posted.

Winoman repped this.
  5. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Of course they are. Flo's performance is indefensible and frankly the club really doesn't want to piss off the SGs and core fan base again, because lets be honest, you have to be really really invested in the club to have paid for Flo. My guess is that the people they've brought in over the last year to run operations, marketing and customer experience are better at it than Levien was this time last year.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I assume you meant the former upper management guy who left not the owner.

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

actually until the $hit really does hit the fan they don't care who they piss off.

remember we are internet nuts.

fatbastard repped this.
  9. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what I found most interesting about the Post article is the coward will not reveal how many people were supposed to be watching his service on Sunday nor what his overall subscription numbers are.

"yes we had the 9 bars connected and 17 people sign up for our crappy service. so really if you take in all the numbers we did not really disappoint all that many people."

Winoman repped this.
  10. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing Flo sold them on their technical capabilities and that was obviously a huge disappointment on Sunday. But I'm also wondering how much of the disappointment is related to a lack of any particularly interesting or special programming so far, not even footing the bill to send announcers to the games, and the lack of production value in the broadcast. Like, if you're going to get killed for going with the streaming option, you better be damn sure the streaming option is worth it.

I'm guessing when they agreed to the deal the front office was thinking: We're going to get some backlash, but the $$$ is great and ultimately the product will be high quality and unique to the club.

ejs1111, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  11. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Who negotiates these contracts? Every part of DC United except for the team itself has been slowly declining since Kevin Payne left. I'm surprised they were able to get a stadium built without more problems.

Eastern Bear, fatbastard, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    No I mean Levien.

He's captain of the ship and it seems like every time the shit hits the fan, he's caught with a dog ate my homework response. He's the managing partner, he's responsible for the people who have been hired to execute and their failures. This is clearly one of them. It's not acceptable. I really wonder what SLAs were negotiated with Flo. It would have been really easy for him to just say, Flo promised us no geofencing problems and far less stream quality problems than were experienced, they'll be making remuneration instead he just condemned them for failing.

Eastern Bear and sitruc repped this.
  13. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is the confusing sentence.

14. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Well, last year, it would have just hung in the ether forever, until something boiled over. At least they sided with the fans this time, rather than just leaving them out to dry, but he's still responsible. He owns it until he doesn't own the team.

15. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I get what you are saying.

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quotes from a Flo TV talking head in the Cincy papers, this guy is clueless.

Obviously it is hard since Flo could not do it last week.

sitruc and JayRockers! repped this.
  17. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What an idiot. There’s no “working it out period.” You can either deliver or you can’t, and Flo has proven they can’t.
    So now DCU is stuck because they have no Plan B and Flo knows it.
    Still a ********ing amateur outfit in so many ways.

sitruc and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's right that it's not hard - and Flo couldn't even do that :cool:

He sounds arrogant, and seems to feel it's no big deal to offer an inferior, or non-working, product for the first year. Bad combination. :)

19. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    ...if only DCU would have had scrimmages and games BEFORE the NYCFC game for Flo to test its product and work out all the kinks. :whistling:

Its a damn shame this was Flo's only opportunity to get it right. :rolleyes:

sitruc, JayRockers! and shawn12011 repped this.
  20. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Not to defend Flo but airing an event that would attract the posters in BigSoccer plus a few more probably wouldn't suffice for a test.

21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why both would have attracted the same 9 bars and 17 people who signed up for Flo TV.

JayRockers! repped this.
  22. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the main problem was re-setting the network to fix the geo-blocking then you don't need a wide audience to test.

shawn12011, sitruc, JayRockers! and 2 others repped this.
  23. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. A one month free trial limited beta in preseason would've worked out (or at least identified) most of their issues. And maybe even drummed up some interest in the platform.

Not from me, mind you...

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have tried to stream a game for free to see if it worked okay on my slow-ass connection. Maybe it would have and I might have decided to spend cash. But I just assume it will not work properly and am not willing to pay first to find that out for sure. Would have been nice to see how far it lagged behind TV as well. Juju only works on so much of a delay, after all :)

25. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spring training would have been the perfect time to run your beta-testing. Never, in all my years as a division manager, did we ever roll out and run a beta "system" live.