Why no Local TV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Nick79, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm a fan but I don't feel that I have to watch all games. I'm willing to shell out good money to watch home games at Audi Field. I subscribe to a relatively good cable package that gives me some of the channels that will show DC United's games. Until recently, I also had the Spanish language package that allowed me to watch Brazilian soccer through GolTV. Well, Verizon dropped GolTV, so I dropped the Spanish language package.

I will watch what I can, but I will not pay for an additional subscription service to do so. DC United got paid by Flo, but I will not pay Flo. Let's see how profitable this deal will be for Flo. Maybe next year we will have a better deal with more traditional broadcasters, maybe not.

D C B 2 3, Von Zee and Winoman repped this.
  2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I signed up for Flo today, hoping tomorrow is smooth sailing but I'm expecting something to go wrong.

As a streamer I'm excited to be able to watch all games for the first time in a while. With 2 kids under 3 it isn't easy to get out to the Stadium but 2-3 times a year so Flo works for me.

$71 is the cost of 2 tickets in 136 once you include fees/ parking to get there.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  3. munichfan9

munichfan9 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 7, 2005
    Burke, Virginia
    If you buy NBA League Pass through Comcast you get MLS Direct Kick also. They are the same channels on Comcast and they don't actually block out the channels during the MLS matches. Worked last year and worked last weekend as well. Not sure if you are an NBA fan but is a 2 for 1.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    It’s 100% a bad deal because if you couldn’t watch at home, you could go out to most bars in the area and watch on NC8. You definitely can’t do this with FloSports. I’ve yet to come across a bar that has it.

Thx,

Jay!

sitruc, Von Zee and Winoman repped this.
  5. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Before: If you couldn't watch at home, you could (had to?) go to a bar to watch (and spend money on alcohol/food)

Now: You (assuming you have high speed internet) can watch at home for almost certainly less than you would have spent on alcohol/food at a bar.

Tell me again why that's 100% a bad deal for fans?

Again, I'm by no means an apologist for the front office or this deal. I think they've done a million things wrong with it. But there are upsides people (and I'm talking generally here, not pointing a finger at you @JayRockers!) are ignoring or refusing to see...

UnitedBorn repped this.
  6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Most bars and restaurant type places work off a cable or satellite TV converter box. There's no chance many places had the infrastructure in place to stream Flo and aren't likely get a Roku or similar device or even an AppleTV or Fire Stick that you can stream to from a device unless they already had a big DCU contingent. If they're not on national TV, I doubt I'll ever see an away game that's on Flo. The bew pub at the Whole Foods in Fair Lakes used to be a terrific setup for us. We'd go, watch while we had a meal and my wife would shop with out youngest while my son and I watched the rest of the game. I could try a couple beers, my son would pal around with some of the similar aged kids who were there watching soccer, basketball, football, whatever.

For all the talk of how much its grown, soccer ratings were down opening weekend and even in the 4th largest metro area in the country, no one wanted to make a decent offer to cover united. I can lay a lot of it at the feet of Levien and Thohir who rope-a-doped their way through the last 5 years at RFK, but I think it goes deeper than that. Local TV basically said we can't make money, not enough people watch you guys.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Nothing is 100% but it is no doubt a bad deal for casual or non-fans. They are not going to jump through hoops to watch a DC United game (or any other game for that matter). It's a mixed bag for die-hard fans but they are going to watch anyway.

sitruc repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I won't be viewing away games this season because the idea of paying a subscription price for what I used to get with my Verizon subscription is a non starter. I will have to content myself with post-game highlights on the mlssoccer.com site. I'm enough of a fan to have been a STH for many years, but I don't watch soccer other than DCU and national team (men and women's) matches. It pisses me off, but if the Flo revenue is used to improve the team (and the stadium!) I guess I'll be content.

sitruc, JayRockers!, PSURoss and 4 others repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But will you be blacked out from watching it live on ESPN+? You're in Flo's blackout zone, according to the FAQ.

10. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Do you own a tablet or laptop?

Get a FloSports subscription and take your tablet/laptop to Whole Foods. Watch the game just like you did before. Drink one less beer and you're even/steven.

Or drink the same number of beers and figure if you're able to shop at whole foods for your regular groceries and also enjoy a regular dinner there at the Cafe, the average $6 per month fee for the Flo subscription isn't going to break your bank...

11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying that Flo is the best but its pretty clear that most against FLO is not $ based but due to hate over the decision. No amount of logic will make the "I guess I'll just have to miss out" crowd come around.

griffin1108 and QuietSide repped this.
  12. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Thats what i'm going to find out on Sunday! It shows as available on my app for ESPN+
    If i'm a blackout zone... i would think it would not show as available at all.

13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please do let us know - I know quite a few people here who live in suburban Maryland would love to know if Flo's region for DCU coverage really encompasses the entire state.

sitruc, Winoman and UnitedBorn repped this.
  14. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Good luck. I hope it works for you.

But that has not been my experience with the way the blackouts work. The listing will be there. Then you click to watch the show and a message appears that says "this show is blacked out in your region" and something to that effect.

There may also be a free preview of Direct Kick going on this weekend so it's possible you are not blacked out this weekend but maybe in the future. Anyway, good luck. As I said, I hope it works for you.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying it's the worst thing that's ever happened, but last year I didn't have to pay anything extra, and got to watch all the games I couldn't attend. This year I'm being asked to pay $72 extra for a diminished experience. So I'll pass.

I watch a lot of sports, as well as other channels that are included in my cable package. If these sports drop off one by one to their own streaming services, I will just stop watching them. At least until it becomes more cost-effective (for ME - I get that some of you have already reached that point) to cut the cord and subscribe to the individual packages.

And as far as the casual fan... there a group of guys that work in the parking garage at my office. I generally take the bus from Loudoun County, but I've driven in a few times and they've noticed my DC United stickers and magnets, so we've talked soccer a lot over the years. They go to a few games, and they were excited about the end of the season last year. Today we talked about the home opener, and they were asking what channel the game was on this weekend. They were unhappy about the answer. I doubt they'd subscribe, but who knows. That's the reaction I get most often. It's only here that I see the "suck it up, buttercup" attitude.

sitruc, JayRockers!, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I get the concern over $72, but given the price of tickets, that's what two folks for one home game and a drink pay, maybe? If $72 a year is budget breaker, I doubt that person is going to any home games anyway and probably isn't paying for cable either. Also, how is this is a "diminished experience?" The Sinclair telecast on "simulated" HD on NC8 was next to awful. Flo hasn't put one game on this season, the first one is Sunday. Allegedly it will be in full HD, it will be available on my TV through my Roku, it also will be available on iPhones, iPads and PC's (the lack of an Android app is a problem, but I'm probably one of ten people in the US with an Android tablet.) NC8 and Sinclair was not available unless you were in front of a TV somewhere. Now, maybe after Sunday I will agree that Flo is a "diminished experience", but right now I don't see the factual basis for that conclusion.

17. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    I am not paying for Flo but I think calling it a diminished experience is not accurate, especially if one hasn't actually watched it yet.

FloFC is supposed to be hosting/providing a ton of additional content - much more content than was ever available on any broadcast channel other than DCU.com or MLS.bomb

I don't see how that is a diminished experience unless your screen got smaller - but then that's not a Flo issue. Now if their streaming ability gets overwhelmed by users then yes, that's a diminishment.

18. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that I think $72 is a budget breaker. It's just not a good value proposition for me. I love ordering from Amazon, and I pay for Prime. If tomorrow they said that they'd honor the same shipping terms, but would only deliver to a nearby distribution center for me to pick up (unless I paid an additional nominal fee), I'd probably stop ordering from Amazon. I already use a VPN service, so I'm considering getting ESPN+. Far more content for the same price I'd pay Flo.

Like I said - I totally get why it's great for some people. But I enjoy watching sports via my Tivo on my TV in my man cave. My TV has several streaming apps, as does my Xbox. Flo is not among them. So in order to get Flo for 9 games, I'd have to buy a Roku or Apple TV, or watch on my computer. Too much of a pain in the ass, therefore a diminished experience. I'd rather just grab a beer, flip on the TV, change the channel, pause/rewind/fast forward etc. Tivo's got this fantastic QuickMode where I can catch up to live TV by watching at 30% faster speed with audio that doesn't sound like chipmunks. I use it all the freaking time when I need to pause sports for some reason, and I don't miss any action. I lose all that with Flo. I'll watch sports on my computer if it's free, like in preseason - but it's not worth it TO ME to pay the $72 for 9 games on a computer.

But if it works for you, God bless. Not going to judge you for it.

19. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each his own, but the experience (as I describe above) will be diminished for me. Will the picture quality be better? Probably. But the experience is unlikely to be. I have the Netflix app on my TV and my Tivo. If I want to watch a movie in 4k HDR, I'll use the TV app, but if I'm binge-watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and the kids are loud or the dogs need to go out, I'm gonna use the Tivo app because it's easier to rewind/ff/use captions.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See I think that is not true. Up until last week I lived in Reisterstown,MD and had Direct Kick last year. I got the DC united matches. I'm just not ready to pay for the package yet.

21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

see it is a diminished experience, it is only available by stream, it is not available on all devices (non apple), they are a small operation. I expect the production value to be worse than NC8. Sorry their so called additional content, i.e. more talking heads does nothing for me. No this is an abject failure IMHO.

Von Zee repped this.
  22. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #72 ImNumberTen, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Are you really suggesting he should watch games at Whole Foods??? :confused:

For someone who says he doesn't want to appear to be an apologist for DCU/FloSports on this you sure sound like one. I'm happy for you that you'll save money by dumping cable because Flo is all you need but that'll be true for something like 1% of supporters.

I just followed the link from dcunited.com to flosports.com. (I couldn't see pricing options without giving an email address, which was f#cking irritating).

For me, not in an SG and not currently an STM the prices are:

Month-to-month:
    29.99/mo. or $21.57/mo. after the DCU “discount” for non-STM.

Pay a year in advance:
    $12.49 monthly or $8.99 after the discount ($107.88).​

Bars: None of the bars at which I used to watch DCU are "bar partners" so there is a near zero percent chance that they will have FloSports.

Casual fans: No casual fans will see any Flo games unless they are friends with a subscriber or just happen to be in one of the partner bars. Not great for growing the fanbase.

It's hard to see coughing up another $108 in addition to the tickets for games I attend and the other streaming services I have (which I view much more frequently than I will Flo's DCU games). I will likely attend 8-10 games this season so I'd be paying about $10 per game to watch the other 10 or 11 games on Flo.

It's very disappointing to me that DCU went this route, at least at these prices. It feels like a slap in the face to their most committed supporters.

But I know I'm not the first sports fan to feel that and I won't be the last. Hell, if DCU ever really explodes in popularity in this region (which I fully expect, as long as Team Machete doesn't screw it up) ticket prices in that small stadium will go through the roof.

flosports_prices.jpg

sitruc, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  23. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the post he quoted psuross he mentioned his family would watch televised games at whole foods and how he enjoyed the setup. Hence the bring your laptop to whole foods

ImNumberTen repped this.
  24. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks and my apologies to QuietSide. I missed that somehow.

shawn12011 repped this.
  25. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My calculation was way off as I thought I could watch home game on Flo, but they will be blacked out. Got this in a response from their customer service:

"Unfortunately, the games we will be streaming will be geo-blocked in the area code 20010"​

So essentially the price-per-game that I can watch doubles to around $20.

No way.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.