Why no interest for Convey

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by cyberthoth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're going to shit all over a former player, can't we at least do it in the alumni forum?

And didn't you guys get enough of this when Convey actually played for United?

2. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    bettter than a wrong-sided Fred? Nope,not necessarily.

I think with Moreno Gomez Emilio on the field we need top notch speed to complement it. The ancient magical triangle there will need reinforcement. Convey is a competent worker but... can't get behind the defense. Fred was our guy, did OK at times, it's not his best game, get someone else, it's not Bobby. And also get a centerback.

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No different than when he was here. I swear I wish somebody could give me a plausible reason for why people hated him so much. For not doing what...what...what about 5 other players have been able to do in DCU history...did he have to play as well as Marco, Jaime, RDA, Gomez, Emilio? Or would 5 or 6 goals a year have been enough? Somehow I doubt it...

And this (like Freddy) is a guy WHO WANTED TO PLAY FOR DC UNITED. Wanted to be on this team. You would think that fans would like players who wanted to play for their team.

Boggles the mind.

4. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Is Convey better than Fred? Please post answers.

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hmmm...... good question. I personally think if convey did come back to us, he would do well again. He likes that 'south american' style that DC plays, and seems to work well on give and goes' and all that.

I think if convey came back to us, he'd do well... better than fred or contribute more??? I dunno. Fred's last season was wierd, he was not playing consistent.

I think although convey could be a risk as a result of his surgeries, like etcheverry many predicted he was done after his problem in his leg back in 93' i think, there's still hope for Convey, and i would put money being back in DC would do it for him.

This is all theory, and i am not asking for our FO' to go and get him, but if he did come back i would predict success.

6. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SJ wants him, and he wants to go to SJ. There's no way we move up in the allocation order unless we trade another integral part of our lineup :rolleyes: He's not coming.

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    better than Fred at playing wide and delivering crosses, better than Fred at keeping possession (Fred does give the ball away like it's his job sometimes), probably better than Fred at helping defensively, I'm guessing here, but Fred not taking free kicks for DC probably means that he's better at those

not better than Fred at taking on players 1 v. 1, unless he goes back to 2006-2007 form not better than Fred at finishing

8. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    and Fred hasn't been too good at finishing ;)

9. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the comparison to Fred? We need a *right* mid in a bad way. If Convey came here (not that I'm advocating this) and assuming he was healthy he'd probably be a starting left mid and push Fred to the right side...

10. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I have Quaranta pencilled in on the right. Last season I began to see why Arena put him out there. That puts Fred back on the left, where he has played most of the time for us.

We'll also be needing someones to spell Moreno and Gomez, maybe he can do that too.

11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred is neither a right nor a left mid, truthfully. In 2007, we played him primarily at left mid because we had no one who could play the position, while we had Olsen (and others such as Mediate) who could credibly play right. In 2008, as soon as we got Guerrero, we moved Fred to right mid, which seemed on paper to make more sense than left mid anyway as he is after all right-footed; on the left, he couldn't cross and any movement forward incorporated an inevitable cut inside to get the ball onto his right foot. It's not clear, though, whether it really made any difference: left or right mid, Fred didn't have a strong year last year.

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think when fred played left, it actually played to his adavantage, him being right footed often confused opponents on that side....buuuuuut... he never would cross and as others have said he would looop in towards the middle, cause he probably cant cross with his left.

Regardless, strangely enough he played better on the left than right last season.

Q' IMO has played great on the right wing, if anyone can remember he has scored some nice goals coming from the wings, similarly to how C. Ronaldo plays. He IMO doesnt play all that well when hes got all the dutys on his shoulder to be our '10' as i dont think his skills will ever be up to par to play in that position, at his age he is past the point where he can learn. Thatsn ot to say hes a bad player though, but not good enough for the middle.

I think Q' plays the best for us on the wing, moreno is the forward up front that is #1, i think Khumalo even plays better than Q' up there, only problem is his shot which often goes wide or high.

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    palying on the left works to Fred's strengths, he can dribble at the defense and from the left it is better to shoot with the right foot & bend the ball in to the far post. It all depends on what you want out of your left wing.

14. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Simple answer...Kevin Payne doesn't want him near his daughter again!

Most overrated player in DCU history...

Why he doesn't stay in Europe if he can is beyond me...MLS will not help him.

The guy changed the pronunciation of his name upon departing....enough said.

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    No, MLS folks were mispronouncing it from the beginning. He's talked about that in the past.

16. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Bootsy's said, Fred just never came out and played on the left wing like a winger should. Now the departed Mr. Guerrero- well, is it possible that now Fred's seen how a left wing plays, he tries to actually cross a ball from out wide?
    It's the only thing missing, aside from better possesion on the ball. He's got both the speed and the moves, .... Tell you the truth, Convey would be good, unlikely as he may be, but maybe left wing gets filled by that international spot we picked up, unless there's some stud CB out there for a transfer.

I think we can all agree though, it still smarts having begged oh so long for a left footed winger beast, then to have gotten one, only for barely a season, once again to have to go looking for one.

17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Really though, do we really need a classic winger based on how DC Has played over the years? Fred is fine, Guerrero IMO was more valuable to us at this point as a LB instead of Burch. We just need our team to work togetther, forget having a classic winger who can run up the line and fling in crosses, we are too creative for that. Thats what Gros was for, and IMO he was a iron man but lacked that true technical finness(sp) to work well with us.

We are a good team based on our talent, if fred can hold his own and finish, who cares if he can fling in crosses or not?

18. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Convey signed with San Jose Earthquakes on Tuesday February 10th, 2009 (that's 3 days ago!).

So, I am with the respected member from Maryland on this (alumni forum now).

19. Big Roy

Big Roy Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Old & Busted!

Teh new hotness iz Christian Gomez!!!!!!