Why no full fingered gloves?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by USvsIRELAND, Oct 13, 2006.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Why are full fingered gloves not allowed?

Why do the glove fingers have to be cut off??

2. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Is this rugby union or aussie rules?

Anyway gloves are crap and dont improve grip.

3. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Because gloves are banned.

And they're stupid.

4. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Gloves are not stupid. I don't wear them myself, but I don't think they are stupid. Clearly you've either never gotten the ball much or are playing in some California warm weather no-tackle league. Probably both. Full fingered gloves are not allowed by the rules.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Sorry I'm talking about Rugby Union.

I know they are banned. But why?

I don't see what the problem is?

6. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Ive know idea but maybe because having extra grip on the end of your fingers may help someone pass a ball better, or maybe if someone breaks their finger...

But good question.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Thanks for everyones help. Im JW.

Just seems like a retarded thing. I have some gloves I got from soccer my friend has gloves cuz he was wide receiver, and we cant wear them.

I was wondering if there was some purpose behind the rule.

Oh well!

8. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I'm from Wales and I've played rugby since I was 7. Meaning I've not only played exponentially more rugby than you, I've also done it in worse weather.

The purpose is that your ability to actually catch the ball should be the determinant of catching the ball, rather than what's on your hands. They also simply aren't worth the shit they're made with. The studs on shock top ones wear quite quickly, and the sticky stuff on the Canty ones turn into grease in wet weather. You'll note that a few years ago, almost every halfback was wearing them, now very few wear them. It's a fad.

If you want hands good enough to catch a baby thrown from 35 yards, always keep the paws out to meet the ball, and play catch with someone constantly. Be passive in accepting the ball, meaning you bring your hands back to your body in the act of catching the ball.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    True. But I think that you are either a good catcher or not. Gloves wont turn you into a superstar. Alot(almost all) of NFL players wear them but alot of Rugby players dont. Why the difference?

I guess I have bad circulation but when its cold, and wet, my hands get freeeeeeezing. So its not only about catching the ball and having fancy gloves, but more about keeping my hands somewhat (repeat somewhat!) dry/warmer. Cuz I suck at catching when my hands are numb. One time last year after rugby practice I literally could not feel my left hand I couldnt make a fist! I held them in the heating vent of my AC in my car for like 5 minutes after practice.

10. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    Because it is impossible to handle a ball with full fingered gloves on.

11. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Two things. Firstly, Rugby used to be played with a leather ball, which got very heavy and very slippery when wet (I started with one - it was like tossing a brick), and people managed. Now balls are synthetic and with thousands of little pimples on them to wick away water and help in aiding a player's ability to grip the ball.

Secondly, NFL balls are still made of leather. :)

To keep your fingers warm, I'd advise a few things. If you get very cold during freezing matches, I'd advise wearing an insulated undergarment. I caught pneumonia two years ago from playing in a freezing, raining match so now I pack an insulated undergarment in my kit bag in case I need it. I wear this It'll keep you warm and it doesn't look poncy underneath your shirt.

Also keep moving. Keep the fingers moving, play catch, that kind of stuff. It'll increase circulation to your fingers and warm them up. I know what you mean though, that first pass always stings.

As for your catching ability, you can improve it with hard work. I started out with hands of stone and worked my way up to having reasonably good hands (and excellent ones for a prop, though I'm not much of a passer). It's about remembering the right mechanics, effort and confidence. Belief is a big part of rugby and believing you can do something makes you more likely to do it.

12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    thats actually a fairly astute comment, your point about hard work and self-belief is bang on correct. Also US vs Ireland is also correct about this idea that a new tool or idea (in this case gloves) won't make you a superstar.