why must the irish always be associated with fighting

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by has personal problem, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. has personal problem

Sep 19, 2003
    why must the irish always be associated with fighting like on the link here. i have never gothen into a football related fight in my life. well there was that one time but now is not the time or the place

im irish by the way

2. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    "why must the irish always be associated with fighting "

because they like to fight DUH!

3. has personal problem

Sep 19, 2003
    but thats like saying all usas are dumb fat bastards or all new zealanders are very fond of sheep

4. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    USA is a whole country, irish are a group of people.

mexicans like to eat beans
    irish people like to drink and fight
    french people don't like to take showers

some stereotypes are true you know

5. has personal problem

Sep 19, 2003
    you dont think the irish have a country, are you ok. do you need to sit down

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert!....... and so on

7. has personal problem

Sep 19, 2003
    what exactly does that mean

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert! Troll alert!....... and so on

Jeez...this is getting kinda repetitive

9. has personal problem

Sep 19, 2003
    right your warning the village that there is a troll on the loose?

please. could you just explain what a troll alert is

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The term "Fighting Irish" I think has more meaning in the US than any place else because of the Notre Dame American Football team who call themselves "The Fighting Irish".

Actually I have been thinking that we should change the forum tag from "Fighting Irish" to "Boys in Green" or something like that.

BTW, no trolling here or I'll slap you with a yellow card.

11. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia

geez, give the bastard a red!!! he has a few other puppets by the way. starts stupid threads like , "whats the difference between soccer and football???"

12. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I agree. I've never been too happy with the "Fighting Irish" tag...

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I agree also, but until it's changed...........

Extraordinarily repetitive, by now, I assure you...........

14. has personal problem

Sep 19, 2003
    ok. i dont know what this trolling lark is, and if i dont know what it is i cant very well stop it.

for the record, you know you have a picture of dougal and not ted up, yeah

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Or better yet... "Bhoys in Green" :D

16. has personal problem

Sep 19, 2003
    there is a big difference between celtic and ireland. we are not bhoys. i sure hope yer messin

17. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
    This could turn into a bout of 'whataboutery', such as what about the English? Footie riots and Nightclub Brawls

18. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Very true. Even though I'm Irish, I hate Celtic and the "Bhoys" are associated with that team.

Any other suggestions before I go to the Supermods about this?

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, I was joking (remember the "Celtic" fans booing Rangers fans that was around a few weeks back?). Why not have a laugh at our own expense and go with

"More than just a longball"

20. has personal problem

Sep 19, 2003
  21. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Father and PM, it's remarkable tolerant you are keeping this thread open and all.

Regards,

Dougal.

22. NumberSix

NumberSix New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    'USA is a whole country, irish are a group of people.'

er, do what? if anything it's the other way round, sport.

what a very strange thing to say.

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Looks like the SuperMods came to you. :)

Mohammed, mountains and stuff like that, I suppose..........

24. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Hammersmith, London
    Do you really "hate" Celtic, Father? Is that not rather a strong emotion to use in this instance?

Personally, I find this whole Celtic backlash thing rather disturbing. Celtic are a club born of the Irish diaspora, and as such surely have more connection with the auld sod than the likes of Manchester United or Arsenal.

I don't like the booing of current and ex-Rangers players when they play at Lansdowne, finding it instead rather childish. However, hearing some of the people that complain about it go on about "dirty scousers" and "cheating Mancs" - in Dublin accents, ferchrissake! - is at best ironic and at worst two-faced and insidious. I think there's some collective growing up and facing-of-facts to be done where Ireland fans are concerned.

And yes, I am a Celtic fan as well as a proud and patriotic Irishman. But it's now getting to the stage where I have to keep my club loyalties quiet when I go to watch Ireland. It won't put me off watching my country, but it may make me do so with rather more of a detached air than before. And I find that rather sad.

:( PP

25. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    I am sure you are a genuine Celtic fan, thats not a problem. Its the boo boys who just use the hoops jersey as a sectarinan badge and an excuse to have a go at the "huns" that cause a problem. Ironically they probably consider themselves great Celtic fans, but they have actually done a lot of damage to "their" club. What about Irish Rangers fans?

The problem in Ireland is the sectarian element associated with the Old Firm. If I was going to watch NI play I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable with half their fans wearing the blue (or orange, sorry tangarine!) Rangers jersey. It works both ways.

I seriously doubt few people have anything against Celtic in their own right, I know I don't. I went to see them play in Munich recently and their fans were fantastic.