Why just 106?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by kebzach, Aug 19, 2002.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Why was the field at Gilette stadium shortened to 106 yards for last night's game?

I realize this was done at Old Foxboro due to the temp. stands that were put in for football, but after being in the new stadium in May, I don't remember seeing anything that would have had to be added for the 2002 NFL season.

So what gives?

2. keegofan

keegofan New Member

Oct 30, 2001
    Mass.
    Well I marvelled at the game how they managed to 'move' the Patriots end zone graphics just perfectly outside the edges of the soccer pitch.

But now I'd guess that the soccer pitch was 'moved' to fit within the graphics.

KF

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Something's got to be done to eliminate any visible Pats signage for the Revs and vice versa, exhibit 1264.

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Dream on!

5. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Maybe someone with a media guide, or time to search the web, could clarify, but I think the field has been 106 yds long the entire season and was designed to be so. Because this was the first time with the football lines on it, it became obvious for the casual observer.

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    no...that just doesn't seem right.

I was there in May and I could have sworn the goals were farther back, closer to the Fort at that end and closer to the wall at the other end.

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    so nobody knows? hmm.

8. Hobobob

Hobobob New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    The field was 115 yards long before. Does anyone know if they do the same thing at other stadiums?

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    nope, not at soldier field they didn't at least. and at NCC the lines are permanent, so the field is always 110 yards long.

Soldier Field was always 116 yards...so that the tops of the 18 yard boxes were matched against the NFL's 10 yard lines.

A 106 yard soccer field on a football field would mean that only 3 yards of each endzone were used for soccer.

10. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    The field was at least 110, probably 115. I'm sure I recall reading that since the stadium was designed with soccer in mind that the size of the pitch wouldn't have to shrink for football as in the past.

11. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    that's what I thought it would be too...that the field wouldn't have to shrink.

but looking at the field you can tell that it doesn't line up with the football lines in a 116 yard format.

12. emcg

emcg New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    New London, CT
    My season tickets are in sec 114. Up until this game, my seats were in line with the 6 yard box. Now they line up with the end line.

-Eric

13. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    You guys are correct. I got hold of a media guide and it lists the size of playing field as 75 x 115 yards. In the old Foxboro Stadium, they shortened the field because they had to put seats back in the corners for the Patriots. They don't have that issue now and I'm sure we heard from management that the field size would be constant in the new stadium. So why the change? I hope they didn't do it to save the painted Patriots logos in the endzones from getting scuffed before Friday's big pre-season matchup against the Carolina Panthers.

14. Bman

Bman Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Beverly, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on! Your not that cynical are you?

15. socdoc

socdoc New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    CapeCod MA
    I wonder if this may have been done as a tactical measure. A shorter field probably helps with the Revs flat midfield and lack of a forward supporting attacking player in the midfield. In truth I suspect the motive was to save the Patriots art work.

16. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Why not @ Old Foxboro?

This was never a problem at the old 'Boro. I remember leaving late aftrer a Saturday night game and the painting crew coming in to get the appropriate décor for the Landlord game on Sunday.