Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by soccerfan, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    most clubs don't want a player who does not want to be there. What would that accomplish?However, they could sell him, probably for some good money.That is the realistic option. They also have no legal right to recall him now, until the loan to MLS runs out after the 2004 MLS season.

2. Red Devil11

Red Devil11 New Member

May 10, 1999
    Hackensack, NJ

3. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I thought the new loan deal means he'll stay till end of the 2004 MLS season. But if he refuses to go back to Leverkusen, they should put him in the transfer market while he's a hot commodity. He's signed through 2006-2007 under Leverkusen.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Memo to Bruce S: Christoph Daum was fired at Leverkusen in 2000.

People don't blame Landin' for coming to San Jose, they blame him for not going back last year when Bayer clearly wanted him back...

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well aware of that, thanks. But much of the management is the same. Bottom line: they own Landon. Other bottom line: he has made it clear he will never play for them.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

I'm really confused about all this Rivaldo never lived up to his talent stuff.

As far as I know, the two highest awards that one can win in soccer are the World Cup, and the Ballon d'Or

Rivaldo has both.

Rivaldo is AWESOME. He's a diving, cheating scum who will almost undoubtedly be remembered for 20 seconds of grand stupidity as opposed to his skills as a player. But let's not get crazy here saying that the guy is one-dimensional.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

by the identical logic, would you say this proves that Barthez is one of the world's top keepers? I base my comments about Rivaldo on watching him play. He has been benched, by the way, by his last two club coaches, so I guess not everyone accepts your logic above.

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the answer to this thread lies in Landon's own comments. He has said on multiple occasions that he enjoys living in the US and has a better overall life in the US. When he was in Germany he felt isolated and like he didn't like where he was going in life. I have said this many times about Adu, but to excel in soccer you don't only need to be in the best competitive but also in ideal "life" situations. Landon likes it in the US and will stay until he is forced back to Europe. We have seen his development move along just as well here as it was there.

10. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

I was really responding to the never lived up to his talent crap.

Barthez-->Rivaldo...apples--->oranges.

But I also agree that there's something going on with the guy, and what it is was probably partly revealed in his turkish diving stunt. Have we seen the last of Rivaldo? I'll answer that as soon as I figure out how long Landon is going to play youth league.

11. arkadygelman

arkadygelman New Member

May 22, 2003
    D.C. give or take
    I think the first year was great for Landon and the MLS, breath of fresh air, relocation, good situation, all that. Second year, sure go ahead. Third year, alright why not, dominate the playoffs why don't you? But do I want to continue seeing him in the MLS? no. Landon, whenever he decides the time is right, and hoping he knows that that time is soon, hopefully in 2005, should move to Europe. I'm not busting on MLS but I think most of us except the MLS-disillusioned can agree that the overall quality of the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A, Erevidsie, Le Championaat, and Bundesliga, and one or two of the divisions under them is better than the MLS. I am a U.S. Soccer fan sure, but to me that means being a Nats fan first, an MLS developing and all that fan second. Landon's development will slow down very considerably if he continues to play in the MLS. He needs games and practice against similar talent levels day in and day out, that is the only way players get better.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

when your comments reach this level, it is time to terminate the discussion.

13. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    No offense, but you're fat and ugly. :)