Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by soccerfan, Oct 8, 2003.

1. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He won the best player award, he is most recognized american player or at least kept on the pedestal as such. he is a cute kid, goood skills but if he were that good then why is he still here ?

Will he ever make it in Europe and be an international STAR ? i say he will not, what do you think.

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    oh boy...this thread is going to be fun....

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

The pressure man......oh so much pressure, and he was away from his sister so long it messed up his menstrual cycle.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be in the same stadium as you.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. good question. maybe he likes being in his own country. maybe he hopes to bring the sport to the masses here. i wouldn't get too worried about all this because the guy is only 21.

6. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I thought the answer was because he was in San Jose.

7. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Re: Re: Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

Ah but does he wear dresses me lass?

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I especially love the wickedly-accurate assumption that if you play in MLS, you're obviously not world-class.

Thank you, soccerfan, for that tidbit of wisdom, thereafter eliminating two-thirds of our player pool from international contention.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. This is the type of thread that makes me think of what a *#*#*#*#*# Eddie Pope must be for staying in MLS so long. And that Brian McBride fellow is a real skirt as well.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a really funny phenomenon though. i would argue that Pope has been our most consistent play over the last 7 years. He's been sterling in MLS and for the Nats, yet people like Mathis are always considered for Europe. why is that?

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 4 years ago, LD thought MLS wasn't challenging enough, so he went off to conquer the soccer world in Leverkusen. He was relegated to the bench and reserve matches, got tired of the "foreign experience", and realized he had a fondness for family and friends. He returned home to become a star in MLS and a national hero.

Like Beckham, he may decide at some point to leave home to play with the best or he may decide to stay home and build MLS. In either case, it's his own personal decision and includes much more than just soccer. It's his life, and I doubt he needs our input.

12. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend of a friend who was visiting here from Europe had a chance to take him to a few Metro games and show him/tell him how our yanks are playing at major Euro teams we have a few out there you know. He saw Tim Howard playing for Man U . He himself asked me of Donovan remembering him from the last World Cup, so he asked me
    WHY ISN'T DONOVAN IN EUROPE , its an honest question that i had no answer for,

Do YOU ?

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because he doesn't want to go?
    it's his life, let him enjoy it.

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

His Holiness turned down the opportunity in 98 and has held that position since. There was a brief moment last season when he thought about going to Europe- playing for DCU lately does that- but he decided no again.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummmmmmmmmmm, because he has a contract with Bayer Leverkusen in Germany, but he doesn't want to play for them

...and the only option the club will let him have right now is to be "loaned" to MLS for a seemingly indefinate period of time.

Any move to Europe that doesn't involve Bayer Leverkusen would have to be approved by the German club...one thing is for sure, he doesn't want to go back to Germany because he can't understand them. He's hinted at the idea that he wants to play in England 'cause then he wouldn't have to learn a new language.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dang! why do you call him "His Holiness"?? just because he may have turned down Europe? The guy has been at the top of our food chain for several years now and has been a good citizen to boot. that should count for SOMETHING in the respect department.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm confused about this one here, but i was almost certain that he learned German while he was there.

18. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Pope=His Holiness

A title, y'know? The Catholic Pope is called His Holiness so this nickname is also given to Eddie Pope.

Back on the original topic, LD is going to have to play with Leverkusen at some point. He's been putting it off, but they still own his rights. So he's going to spend time at Leverkusen unless, of course, somebody forks over the cash to buy him. Will that happen? I tend to think probably not. MLS certainly isn't going to pay up. If he goes back and finishes out his contract, he could be a very viable option for a pick-up ona free transfer for a European club. He's fluent in Spanish so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in La Liga. And England is a very strong possibility. He's also mentioned Italy.

19. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc

how long is that contract?? he went there when he was 16, right? 4-5 years ago. amazing they signed him to such a long contract at such a young age.

there is a big difference between being a 16 year old and going off to play professionally for the first time in a foreign land where they don't speak your language, and being a 21 year old with plenty of national team and world cup experience, and having been named then best player in your domestic league 2 years running. I'm no expert on Landon Donovan but I think he's content being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

20. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Re: Re: Re: Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

A few yrs back MLS extended it's loan from BL. In exchange LD extended his contract with BL. I think he's got two more years after this one.

21. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    that's interesting. are players on loan from overseas clubs able to be payed above the MLS' maximun salary?

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you EVER read the context of what people are saying before you respond? the guy was making a sarcastic remark. he was trying to say that people are stupid for getting on Americans who choose to stay at home like Pope and McBride, and his sarcastic way of doing it was to call them names. goodness gracious!

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    heh heh heh...newbies.

Do a search for Segroves' posts about McBride, for further embarassment.

24. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Why isn't Donovan in Europe ?

It was extended again during the offseason as well

BL has him until 2008

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYI, he speaks fluent spanish, too.