Why is youth and female soccer such a high commodity in the USA?

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by charlieblanko, Dec 23, 2006.

1. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Simple- based on my essay above, I'll give you two words "Michael Jordan".

2. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

my bad..i shouldve been more specific....i was talking about the goalie being just as good as the field players with the ball..i mean she wont dribble from coast to coast..and hopefully not have to dribble the ball "at all" as a goalie..directing the ball back towards her team seams to me(as a student of the game) the only thing that the goalie does with the feet..not including free kicks or punts..or dragged leggs for blocked shots.
    Im talking ball controll and dribbling
    Where do you guys see the goalie doing all this handling?(with the feet)

3. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    You're missing the point here. I don't know how much more clearly I can state it.....it is unwise to pigeonhole a 10 or 11 year old into a position. Heck, it is unwise to pigeonhole a 10 or 11 year old kid even into a sport!

If your kid showed good test scores in math at age 10, would you automatically start them down a path through MIT on to a career dealing with math? No, because that would be silly, right? Same deal here....what if she decides to play softball with a friend this summer and she is the best pitcher that has come through the league in 20 years? What then? What if she comes home one day and says, "my friends all do dance classes on Thursday nights, can I do dance too?" What then?

Dude- I don't mean to be harsh here.....but SHE IS 10 OR 11 don't sign her up for MIT just yet. Let her be a kid. Encourage her, support her, but don't push her to the point of killing the enjoyment of the game. Sure, she enjoys it now and she smiles while playing-- but what happens if it doesn't stay enjoyable? Will she tell you or will she feel like you'll be disappointed so she sticks it out but really it is a chore for her? Don't take it to the extremes like the hockey parent who killed another parent, and I get the feeling you're on that path. I really wonder if you aren't just playing with us......

4. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    You made the point much more eloquently than my quip. Overexuberant parents and coaches run kids out of the sport all the time and it's easy to get caught up in the hype.

5. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Obviously you have not watched that much soccer. Keepers handle the ball with their feet all the time and usually in close quarters to a striker. As she gets older the keeper will be a major part in the defense (ending attacks) and the offense the start of the attack. If her players do not have confidence in the keepers ball skills they will not use her and will hamper the success of a team that she plays on.

As Perf said the keeper now a days is a glorified sweeper in many defense of schemes and if she does not have these skills she will never be on the national team no matter how good she is in net.

My daughter is a little older than yours (not much) and in the past has had similar comments made about her. The difference is I did not believe them. I have played college athletics and I know the determination desire and skill and luck to make it to higher levels requires.

As do you I believe my daughter has unlimited potential if she decides she wants to play soccer at a higher level and wants to put in the work necessary to achieve this. I also believe it us up to her to go down that path. As she approaches her teen age years and her mind and body are starting to change things are not as easy for her as they used to be. This is when the player needs to decide if they have a love enough for the game to put in the work to play at the highest levels. Without the love they will never put in the work required.

I believe it is my job as a parent is to help her be prepared if she decides she wants to go down that path. In soccer there are many things you can't go back and learn so I try to put her with the proper coaches and trainers (and having played the game myself helps here) so she has the foundation if she decides she wants to try to play at the next level.

Also keep in mind females are much more prone to ACL injuries than men and no matter how good you are it only takes one injury to put you out for good.

Sorry for the rant

CVAL

6. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Good Post CVal, but lets be serious....Lets not scare anyone about ACL's. Yes an ACL is a serious injury, but now adays an ACL will keep you down for 6-8 months if you still have the drive to come back after surgery. I pray my daughter never has a ACL. As we all do Im sure.

7. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Well i did not mean to scare well yes i did. Look at the numbers the number of ACL tears in women athletes is becoming an epidemic.

The point I was really trying to make is that you can't always control injury and one bad injury can ruin a sports career.

8. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Others have stated why it is important but to sum up my opinion it's because more and more the goalkeeper needs to be an avenue to act as the first attacker, support play and switch the point of attack when his/her team has the ball and to be able to defend offside space behind the backline which will at times require the keeper to leave the penalty area to deal with a ball at their feet.

We're not talking about a GK dribbling the length of the field or anything but the ability of GKs to be able to quickly and efficiently play the ball at their feet and accurately play it somewhere else is a huge part of the game. And quite frankly, not enough of our goalkeepers--even some that are considered very good--are proficient enough at it. You want to get your daughter noticed as a GK? Then make sure she is great with the ball at her feet (Again, this does not mean she has to be able to beat everyone on the dribble. It does mean she should have a good first touch with all the surfaces of the foot, the ability to deal with the occassional ball sent back in the air, has the ability to get herself out of pressure when necessary, and can strike the ball cleanly and accurately over a variety of distances for distribution purposes).

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If girls' soccer is like boys' soccer, it would be highly unwise to dedicate a fast and agile athlete to goalkeeping at this age, for the simple reason that ultimate success will be largely out of the player's control -- that is, it will depend upon the player's adult wingspan. Long, good. Not long, bad.

Whereas a quick, skilled, and intelligent player can become very, very good at a variety of field positions, regardless of arm length, or indeed of height or weight.

10. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    lol
    Naw man..im not playing im just uneducated when it comes to parenting and helping a child develop their natural ability.
    See the reason why im sooooo "weird" with this way of thinking is because..
    1:..I have a brother that never had a father(like me) and he couldve went to any school in america for basketball or football...but his head was fuced up without having both parents in the house..and we where poor as dirt..
    my brother is 39 yrs old...6' tall and can do a 360 alley oop dunk.."HIS HOPS ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD..ALWAYS HAS BEEN AND HE CAN ALSO SHOOT FROM THE BLEACHERS". He is the biggest waist of talent that i know(including me,and my nephews)....but talking to him now.We know why he didnt make it....proper guidance and help during troubling yrs...

2: The same goes for me as well as my nephew..and many others in my family ..a father was never in the house so the natural abilities were never tuned properly.I remember quitting the team when i was 13..and that was it!..no one talked to me about why..no one talked to my coach. At that age i didnt care...but now..im angry that i didnt have a father there to tell me.."your making a mistake son..its hard work ...stick with it"
    So me being who i am..i dont want to do that to my kids..but at the same time..i dont want to go to far.."i dont think i do"..what i type and do may come across as two totally different things.

But regardless menace..people will call me nutts all they want...
    "she will only play soccer"..she is in dance class....tuesday nites....
    She also wants to play basketball for the same school my niece go's too..wich is my old school "Richard Gahr Highschool"..my niece is in the top 3 point guards of the nation and attends there..look her up.."raynal johnson".
    Menace for the record..i get everything your saying..im not incoherant. Just some things......."I believe in" and stand by...like
    "soccer as a major..all other sports are minor"..she has played basketball and softball too....but she loooves soccer..your right..things may change when she is 14..or 15..by that time she will be in a academy....but im lucky to have people that have been thru it giving me advice..like you,perf,and mum....thanks bro..dont get angry..its just my point of view.

11. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Well i didnt even read the post..all i know is "obviously" your wrong..i watch soccer all day and nite..i have a home business..i stay on the soccer channel and on big soccer,as well as websites trying to learn more.
    I do watch soccer..and in the epl even..the touches with the feet are mainly back passes..no one wants the goalie trying to get pass a forward with the ball at there feet.."are you crazy?"...I even herd a epl commentator state.."i dont agree with a goalie trying to use his feet instead of his hands..to get pass a forward"...i agree

12. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Good point..so i ask again
    "does she reaaally have to be thaaat goood?"..or just good enough..cause right now she hasnt missed much being a pure goalie..part time striker.
    It seems like in watching soccer and in what you just said lensois..that they will not go the length of the field..and you dont want your goalie trying to dribble pass a player on the opposite team.

13. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good point john...
    So wont a goalie that takes her athleticism and intelligence..be ideal for any team?...iker casillas is a great goalie...he means as much to a team as a excellent striker/forward...or any other player on the field.
    Thats the thinking me and my daughter have about the position.
    No one is as athletic as her in the "keeper" position..they usually put her types at striker...We are trying to somewhat..."flip the sript"....and make her the best at that position.

14. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    The sufficient level required is difficult to quantify. That said, what you might see as "not doing much" in terms of technical ability you might actually be underrating in terms of its importance and difficulty. This is certainly not meant as a shot because there are a lot of very experienced, respected coaches who undervalue the ability of goalkeepers to play with their feet.

In terms of their ability to beat a player on the dribble that is obviously not something you're encouraging from your goalkeeper or a position you want them to be put in ever. That said, a goalkeeper who is comfortable with the ball at their feet will be better able to deal with the pressure that does come there way regularly in matches. The idea of creating that technical base and comfort level on the ball is not designed to allow them to regularly beat players on the dribble but rather just have that comfort and poise with the ball when they are put underpressure with the ball at their feet.

15. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Except for that pesky catching part...and his positioning from time to time. I'll grant you he is very, very athletic which is also his downfall to a degree because he tends to rely on that too heavily.

16. BallOfFire

BallOfFire New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Charlie,

This may be a little long, but I'm going to chime in if it's alright. I'd like to share with you my experience of a now U-13 girl player in Kansas (and yes, we have some great teams and players in Kansas, I think they would surprise you!)

10 years ago, I started my kids in soccer at the age of 4 to get some excerise and have some fun and be outdoors. I have a daughter who really enjoyed it and became quite passionate about it and was pretty good. She made the top competitive team for a big club in the area at U9 and stayed with that team up until last fall (U-13). Great team, did well in the state. She always played striker and outside mid. Very rarely from U-9 through U-12 did she play other positions. We liked to win - all of us - the coaches, kids and parents, therefore we didn't "Risk" moving the players around enough (looking back). I think we all wished we had done more of that now! I've been told so by one of the coaches. There were opportunities where she played some defense and center mid and keeper, but only if the team was up by at least 6 goals and usually late in the game.

I know, it's a long story, hang in there. I too was a parent who watched how proficient she became at the assist cross and she had a knack for finding the back of the net as a striker. She would buckle up and I could almost see her legs shake when put into defense.

Now, she is playing with what I consider (;) ) the best team in the state (U-13) and this team plays at a regional level. We had her switch teams because the commitment level of the entire team is much higher than the previous team and this team really is taking things to "the Next Level"; ie playing a lot of regional and nationally ranked teams and really challenging and improving their long term development. Her new coach started out playing her in different games and all of the positions to see where she would fit into the team and what style of play fit best for everyone and her. She has ended up playing defender and center mid. Quite interesting to watch it unfold as those were the positions that I considered not to be her strength. She was plenty nervous at first, but has learned so much from getting this opportunity, THANKFULLY, Not Too Late.

What I find most interesting (and I do agree with perf, cval, Reg II, et al) is that you have a coach who isn't interested in having her develop as a "Soccer Player". Goalkeeping is an awesome and demanding position and certainly requires a unique and different set of skills in the game. It is just one aspect of the game. I think it's important for ANY Coach to understand that kids this age Should and Will be playing All Positions often. It's my opinion, that ANY child will not get the true benefit of the "Soccer Game" without having this opportunity and often.

The thing is, these next few years of your daughters life are the most important for her if she is really going to excel in the sport. And each and every decision we make as parents, has a direct baring and the time flies by and there is no getting these critical, developmental years back.

Be wise, learn all you can, Listen as much as you can. Talk to parents of older kids who are now playing keeper at higher levels in ODP, High School, U16 and up, college. Talk to the players, listen and keep an open mind. That's the best advice I can give you - I'm still doing it and still learning and always will. Good luck to you and the MOST IMPORTANT thing here is that your daughter have Fun and Keep her passion because SHE wants to. Truly, best of luck to you and your daughter. Sounds like she has a wonderful journey ahead of her IF she is developed for the long haul and is able to fit in anywhere on any team at any time - needs vary!

17. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Here's the issue Charlie. You can watch all the EPL games you want and it is great that you do. But it tells you nothing about HOW to get a 10 year old to learn the lessons that must be taught. Professionals are expected to win games and what they do on the field is toward that purpose. Children need to learn how to play the game before they learn how to win the game.

Let me give you a personal example. My oldest daughter was primarily a fullback starting at age 8. She was taught the proverbial, "when in doubt, kick it out". Now that's not a bad thing for a professional defender to live by, as by then they have a pretty good idea of when they are in doubt and when they are not, but for a youngster learning, it's a disasterous thing to teach because it is so very limiting to the child's ability to learn new skills. A child learns as much from their mistakes as they do from the success, so they have to be allowed to make mistakes so they can learn. Allowing a defender or a goalkeeper to dribble out of their end is the freedom a coach gives a player to learn the game even if it means giving up goals. Not only does the coach allow the player to develop their dribbling skills, but he/she allows the play to figure out on their own when they should or should not dribble. There is nothing like giving up a goal or two to teach a kid when its prudent to dribble in their end of the field. And what better time to learn these lessons than when they are 10 or 12 years old?

Now let me give you an example of how important having those skills are to a professional goalkeeper. Last summer I was at a New England Revolution game where a defender was under pressure and had no other outlet but to Matt Reis in goal. However, what the defender didn't realize was that his opponent's other forward had anticipated the back pass and was headed straight for Reis. With the player coming on him fast, Reis flicked the ball up and over his head and across the mouth of the goal just as the forward raced past him, to then change the field with a pass to his other defender. It was an incredible display of footskills under pressure that had the crowd on their feet and screaming. IIRC correctly Reis played on the field even in college.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Our U14 boys team has a young man who played forward and forward only at ages U7, U8, U9, U10, U11, U12, and U13. He also plays forward on one of the State's two ODP teams.

Until this August he had always played forward and nothing else. At that time, he was moved to right back for his club team.

He's doing great at that role. Did well in his very first game, better yet today.

I don't see the position thing as being that big a deal, as long as the club training is good. Because in training the kids should be playing a variety of smaller-sided games & drills that get them to experience all aspects of the game. If that occurs, changing field position should not a problem even at the older ages.

19. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    quote ball:
    The thing is, these next few years of your daughters life are the most important for her if she is really going to excel in the sport. And each and every decision we make as parents, has a direct baring and the time flies by and there is no getting these critical, developmental years back.

Be wise, learn all you can, Listen as much as you can. Talk to parents of older kids who are now playing keeper at higher levels in ODP, High School, U16 and up, college. Talk to the players, listen and keep an open mind. That's the best advice I can give you - I'm still doing it and still learning and always will. Good luck to you and the MOST IMPORTANT thing here is that your daughter have Fun and Keep her passion because SHE wants to. Truly, best of luck to you and your daughter. Sounds like she has a wonderful journey ahead of her IF she is developed for the long haul and is able to fit in anywhere on any team at any time - needs vary!:quote

Thank you bro..i will keep a open mind..... and its been a ongoing thing with my stubborn ass and her coaches in what "I" or..."SHE"...thinks her training should consist of.
    But i have come around....like i wrote to region II..her coach now is a very good coach and was highly suggested by a number of parents as well as friends.
    He agrees with all of you guys and has been working on her foot work with the rest of the team.
    I just dont want her to loose that edge she has at goalie.Goals are glorious......the least "wanted" position on the field is keeper..my daughter has embraced that with courage and willingness to learn. Like someone else said earlier in the post..."its hard to find a good goalie"..and like i said..
    "even harder to find a great one"..
    but all you guys post have been noted in my mentall(thats disturbing to some of you i bet..lol) and taken into consideration. I also believe this is a learning tool and i read all the post you guys send..thanks for the feedback....dont stop it now..i like the different aspects im getting on this subject...oh yea about the older goal keepers..they sort of took her under their wing last yr and ive got alot of things from our conversations..one is a goal keeper for labrea high i think and has opportunities to go to a number of colleges..he worked with my daughter in the summer and is a good kid.
    ps..
    ball way not to go off on me and not disrespect me for my ignorance to the game and parenting..like i said..im "under 30" me and my wife..we didnt have both parents in the house..so its go and learn as you go process for both of us.
    Thanks guys

20. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    How much are we charging for the therapy lessons here?? It has got to be at least $125/hour...this thread has gone painfully off course and has delved deeply into 1 person's indoctrination into the seedy world of the soccer BB system....you guys can continue, but the looooong rants and the crazy wording and spelling of senior blanko are starting to make me *yawn*

21. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you idiot i started this thread...lol
    besides toxicbrain..
    you dont need to read it..stop yawning and bounce out..dont worry about my spelling or jonder..wonder about the other boards.

22. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Will do captain

23. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Charlie- bad language again......last warning. Again, I say....don't make me do my job. Thanks!:mad:

24. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Alright menac..alright..my bad...:eek:

25. charlieblanko

charlieblanko Member

Dec 8, 2006
    cal south
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yo guys, i didnt know where else to post this save my daughter made, i think its 4 frames check it out, im proud of this one, i just got it today, she got hurt on the play, but it was a sick save
    notice the guys and the ref in the background, that ref said she is the best he has seen in his 20 yrs of reffing at keeper[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now i know im a proud ass daddy, but look at that technique, and speed to get up on that, that ball almost hit that far post, it was a great shot!,then she finishes it up with the proper cover up for a keeper, smh
    man im a proud father, im sorry guys
    lol