Why is the semifinal only one game?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by mlsfan31, Nov 11, 2003.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps.

It's simply too soon to tell with only four two-leg series played. After all, 100% of the higher seeds won this year, which is greater than higher seeds' home winning percentage in either best-of-three or first-to-five. However, were it not for a miraculous comeback by San Jose, then only 75% would've won, which is lower than the higher seeds' home winning percentage in both best-of-three and first-to-five.

When MLS has played a few more seasons with this format, we'll have a better idea.
    I could accept that. But it might rub people the wrong way who want to see playoff series "decided on the field."

2. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Semifinal

Absolutely. Here we see actual thinking and logic applied beyond eurosycophantry of the mindless "we should do this too because they do"

Be careful, you wouldn't want to blow a circuit trying to understand this sort of thing.

G.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been away for a while, but.....

eurosycophantry

I believe you have just coined a new word, sir. Well done there.

That being said, there are, I believe, a couple of drawbacks to the first-to-five system that are not insignificant. The increased probability of weeknight matches is a negative. The "meaningless" (some would say) second game if the first ends in a draw. Putting one more confusing (to many) thing between the game and the "non-hardcores" that I think (I hope) we all agree are important to attract if the league is going to have any legs. I think the first and last two are economic considerations that are not insignificant, and the second is more of a playability and excitement consideration.

Best of three would have been fine with me if they'd just have a winner in each game. That being said, I'm on record as being in favor of one-offs, but it's hard to argue with the economic consideration of giving a team a home game, especially considering the aggregate format (a) showed an increase in attendance and (b) had the four higher seeds all win (though, as mentioned above, it very nearly was not that way).

4. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    First of all only 4 teams should be in the playoffs. Period.

I'd rather have no playoffs. The team at the end of regular season with best record is crowned the champion. The real champion. 30 games has more credence than a 4 game playoff. Besides some BS team could get lucky and hot and win the 4 straight games in the playoffs. This plan will never happened because all you punks would say its boring with no playoffs. So, I suggest the current aggregate goals in two games, BUT the higher seed gets a automatically plus one goal start in the round and plays the second game on thier home field. Yes, an AUTOMAIC Plus ONE goal advantage. The regular season should count for something. This system happens in the first two rounds. The final MLS Cup should be aggregate goals scored by playing 2 games on a neutral field. No homefield advantage for either team. Yes 2 games played.

My plan is most extreme of all and crazy.