Why is TFC Mediocre?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Kingston, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The 2019 version of TFC isn't terrible, but they aren't very good either. They certainly have the resources to be a better team. On paper, their line up looks quite solid. Not 2017, beat-the-league solid, but certainly a team that should be hunting for a home playoff game, not trying to squeak into a playoff spot.

I confess to being somewhat mystified as to why this is. The team isn't even playing all that badly overall. The most recent game against Orlando is a case in point. Plenty of possession, lots of shots, a number of good chances, fairly limited offensive opportunities for the opponent - and yet, a 1-1 draw.

So, why is it? What are they missing? Why is TFC mediocre?

2. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Confidence.

Because of so many atrocious defensive errors earlier in the season, they are a fragile group. Whenever they conceded a goal in 2017, they had a swagger that felt like it was just a matter of time before TFC would find a goal. Now they are playing like they are afraid to lose. No ambition, they play too safe. I don't know if they keep this stat but I'd bet they lead the league in backpasses. If this team plays a couple of consecutive solid games, they have the potential to get that confidence back and win six or seven in a row. This is why Vanney playing a B-team against Houston was just so asinine. It was a momentum-killer at a time where it looked like they were about to go on one of these runs. So I guess that leads to reason #2: Vanney and his overconfidence in his bench players. This team just isn't good enough to play their bench in games that matter. They should rest players one or two at a time max.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Confidence is problematic because you can't simply acquire it like you can a centre defender. I don't think you're wrong, though.

I had recognized Vanney's odd way of handling squad rotation. I hadn't considered its impact on the overall confidence of the team, however. You raise a good point about that.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada