Why is Romario undervalued when it comes to the discussion of best ever?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Guigs, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    One more thing: the level of the Brazilian League was bigger in the '80s and '90s than today.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well ... you have your opinion about Romario was better, but unfortunately not the rest of the world Let's not make it into another Romario Ronaldo thread

From 60s-80s Brazil league were stronger and very competitive to big leagues ,... but not from 90 til now ... when most great players started playing early in Europe.

3. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, I do not deny that Europe has the best players and teams from the 90's.

But the Brazilian League was much stronger in the '90s than today. There were weak teams, it is true, but the best times were real talented squads. In decisions, Romario never had life easy. That's what I meant.

I can not say precisely who is best for the rest of the world, if Ronaldo or Romario. What I can say is that when it argues in each soccer, goals and titles, Romario is far superior. But I understand the preference for Ronaldo: he is the great test of overcoming football history, was a genius and played most of his career in Europe.

4. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    The exodus was really around 2000... just look at the intercontinental results from that era, it was all close games and Brazilian league played 6 out of the 10 finals. And when the CWC started Brazil won it's first 3 editions.

Euro dominance really took place after 2005, but you guys are extrapolating something that happened in the past 5-6 years into something that has always been the case. Europe definitely widened the gap over the past 5-6 years, but previously if you picked any top team in europe against any on the Brazilian league, the outcome would have been unknown with a lot of close games being played.

The vasco team from 2000 was likely the best team in the world that year, with romario being the best player on the best team. Or did you guys keep forgetting how that team embarrassed a Man U team which was considered the best in the world.

Man U lost a total of 4 games over that season between CL and EPL...
    They looked like Santos against Barca, Vasco was just on another league.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You maybe right that the 90's was actually the "threshold" of Brazil league started declining but they were still strong enough.
    Note that the 90s is when most best Brazilians "exodus" in Europe ... with Dunga, Bebeto Romario Conceicao Juninho Carlos Cafu Ronaldo Rivaldo Aldair Dida and the last was Denilson in 97,98

6. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    DVD Romário é Gol - Goals of the best striker of all time!

7. XxXsoccer_fanXxX

Aug 22, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm new to this forum...could you direct me to this list?